Boston Herald chimes in on the AWB and Zumbo affair.

And some say the Herald is a Conservative newspaper. [thinking]

Just wait until any new gun control legislation begins debate in the State House...

(Wait a minute... what debate? They'll pass the crap with little or no dissent).
[sad2]

Under the gun, nation surrenders to NRA: Among the consequences, increasing police budgets
By Dan K. Thomasson
Saturday, March 3, 2007

WASHINGTON - The nation’s police chiefs have a serious problem. Their troops are being outgunned, and to correct the situation taxpayers must increase law-enforcement budgets substantially or find some way to ban the circulation of weapons and ammunition meant for the battlefield - mainly, semiautomatic assault rifles and armor-piercing bullets.
Because the latter alternative is not politically practical, the cost of law enforcement can be expected to rise considerably. And where citizens are unwilling to spend the money to equip their guardians with weapons and armor now readily available to criminals, the threat to themselves and those they hire to protect them is likely to increase proportionately.

No matter how much evidence is supplied to back up their arguments and how loudly the associations that support them yell, the chiefs’ chances of winning out against the insanity of the nation’s gun culture are slim to none. Actually, make that none. Maryland is mulling a bill to ban semiautomatic rifles, and the opposition has been loud and persistent.
This is a land where the right to traffic in firearms, no matter how dangerous to law and order, is protected by constitutional language designed for a militia carrying muskets and enforced by a self-appointed virulent lobby called the National Rifle Association. It purports to represent sports shooters, but in reality is the arm of the manufacturers and importers who profit from the carnage.
To emphasize just how unforgiving are those who subscribe to the NRA’s opposition to any restraints, one should consider the case of Jim Zumbo.
Until a few days ago, Zumbo was a revered figure in hunting circles. Hunting and non-hunting enthusiasts alike avidly watched his TV shows and read his columns about big-game treks. Then Zumbo foolishly ventured the opinion that semiautomatic assault weapons really had no place in hunting. Moreover, he linked these weapons with the “T” word.
Now nearly everyone knows that, since 9/11, to mention that word (it stands for “terrorist”) is to cause near panic and bring instant and severe punishment to the offender. Within hours, Zumbo’s column was canceled and his cable TV show eliminated. All this occurred despite a profuse apology from an obviously desperate Zumbo.
Would it be out of place here to suggest that this swift and unrelenting attack by the NRA on one of its own proves conclusively that Zumbo was right in suggesting that terrorism is not unknown to the gun lobby? After all, the NRA has been terrorizing its political opponents for decades. As a result, the lobby has managed to foster a national armory of privately owned firearms that exceeds some 300 million.
That is why the increasingly frantic efforts of law enforcers to win some sort of reasonable control over the kinds of weapons they face on the street are pretty much futile. Congress has refused to renew an expired law that banished military assault rifles. So the bill now being argued in Maryland to ban the assault weapons at the behest of law enforcement probably doesn’t have a prayer.

In the meantime, the intrepid hunter who wants to blast away at animals from bears to (as Zumbo complained) prairie dogs can do so with impunity. How sporting!

http://news.bostonherald.com/editorial/view.bg?articleid=186086&srvc=home

Hopefully someone will have the e-mail for this asshat and his editors so we can all send them the facts.

Last edited:
Wow...so much misinformation and distortion of reality, it's hard to know where to begin.

...or find some way to ban the circulation of weapons and ammunition meant for the battlefield - mainly, semiautomatic assault rifles and armor-piercing bullets.

Given that he's tying all of this into the police on the streets outgunned by the bad guys, I'll assume that when he says "armor-piercing" bullets he's referring to every centerfile rifle cartridge ever produced, which will all go through a cop's duty vest like it wasn't even there.

A de facto ban on all centerfire rifles.

Yeah, and we're just being paranoid with all our "gun grabbing" accusations.

What a knob.

Maryland is mulling a bill to ban semiautomatic rifles, and the opposition has been loud and persistent.

I should freakin' think so.

This is a land where the right to traffic in firearms, no matter how dangerous to law and order, is protected by constitutional language designed for a militia carrying muskets and enforced by a self-appointed virulent lobby called the National Rifle Association.

"The right to traffic in firearms"?

I'm having trouble finding that one. Is that from the oft-forgotten Second-and-a-half Amendment?

Funny how he has no problem using the internet to exercise a right protected by constitutional languagedesigned for quill pens and fixed-type printing presses.

Also lost on ths assbiscuit is the inconvenient truth that the muskets of the late 18th century were the state-of-the-art military weapons of the day.

And, rights aren't enforced, they're exercised. Someone whose way of life depends on his ability to exercise his first amendment rights ought to know the difference.

It purports to represent sports shooters, but in reality is the arm of the manufacturers and importers who profit from the carnage.

Just like homebuilders profit from arson, hurricanes, and floods.

And carmakers profit from drunk driving wrecks and auto theft.

Would it be out of place here to suggest that this swift and unrelenting attack by the NRA on one of its own proves conclusively that Zumbo was right in suggesting that terrorism is not unknown to the gun lobby?

It wasn't the NRA that did in old Zumbo. It was a bunch of Americans exercising their first amendment right to express their dislike of the words written by another American exercising his first amendment rights.

So, according to this assclown, speaking out against those who disagree with you is considered an "attack".

After all, the NRA has been terrorizing its political opponents for decades. As a result, the lobby has managed to foster a national armory of privately owned firearms that exceeds some 300 million.

Boy, nothing cheeses off a member of the elite class quite like a large group of free citizens amongst the common class taking steps to provide for their personal security without relying on the government or the advice of the mainstream media.

Congress has refused to renew an expired law that banished military assault rifles.

Um..maybe because it did no such thing.

And he accuses the pro-freedom camp of using tactics designed to scare the public?

Assclown, aisle five!

If the 2nd was about muskets, that means the that the First was about quill pens and therefor free speech does NOT apply to newspapers, radio, television, and internet.

What a bunch of BULL. I wanted to email the shmuck but of course his email is no where to be found

The thing I hate the most is when these libs say they know what police want, I am not a cop but here are just a few of the Bills the FOP opposed over the passed few years. And for those who don't know FOP is the Fraternal Order of Police and is the world's largest organization of sworn law enforcement officers.

108TH CONGRESS
H.R. 124 HANDGUN REGISTRATION ACT

107TH CONGRESS
H.R. 114 HANDGUN REGISTRATION ACT
H.R. 138 HANDGUN REGISTRATION ACT
H.R. 139 HANDGUN REGISTRATION ACT
H.R. 225 ONE GUN A MONTH BILL
H.R. 693 PERSONALIZED HANDGUNS
H.R. 998 ONE GUN A MONTH BILL
S. 25 HANDGUN REGISTRATION ACT
S. 406 ONE GUN A MONTH BILL

I don't get how these dickheads are always lumping any pro gun activity
in with "the NRA". If someone opposes some gun control measure, it must
come from the NRA. [rolleyes] Zumbo's downfall was mainly due in large
part to the actions of individuals... not because it was some NRA mandated
battle cry to do so. The NRA did not destroy zumbo- a bunch of pissed off
gun owners and 2nd amendment rights supporters did!

Sounds like this moron is playing the "blame game"- eg, let's blame
all violent crimes on the gun industry and gun owners; it's their
fault. [rolleyes] They conveniently ignore the perpetrators of
these violent crimes and their motives, and instead decide to use an
object as a scapegoat. IMO it's just a snarky end around attack on
public gun ownership... What this douchebag won't tell you is that if
he had his way, he would just ban guns altogether and that no level of
regulation would appease him. That is pretty much the end game of
most antis anyways. A few of them will say "hunting is okay" (as if
it was even really a part of gun rights) and then they will stab the knife
into the back of the zumbos of the world after they get the zumbos to
condemn US.

-Mike

"Would it be out of place here to suggest that this swift and unrelenting attack by the NRA on one of its own proves conclusively that Zumbo was right in suggesting that terrorism is not unknown to the gun lobby? After all, the NRA has been terrorizing its political opponents for decades."
=================================
What is this guy $^&#%^%^ kidding me? Anti gun politicians and deliberate misinforming media outlets have been TERRORIZING the American public for as far back as my memory serves me with their constant harping and whining and passing of completely bullshit gun laws that have done nothing but make it safer for criminals to operate among our society. This article is a prime example of it.

This guy Dan K. Thomasson is a complete and utter FOOL

The Boston Herald didn't chime in on anything. Thomasson is a syndicated columnist, not a Herald columnist or member of their editorial board. His opinions are not necessarily the opinions of the Herald. I think the Herald gives him column space in the name of "balance". That being said, this column is typical of him; Liberal, bullshit, tripe.

How come the NRA is getting the Credit????? The globe has to make it look like a Giant picking on a little guy.... In Reality it was the little guys that got rid of Zumbo, even before the NRA knew what was going on.

The Boston Herald didn't chime in on anything. Thomasson is a syndicated columnist, not a Herald columnist or member of their editorial board. His opinions are not necessarily the opinions of the Herald. I think the Herald gives him column space in the name of "balance". That being said, this column is typical of him; Liberal, bullshit, tripe.
I saw this editorial in one of the weekend papers, either the Ledger or the Enterprise. Made my eyeballs boil. [angry]

ummmmm....

Balance..was the page going to fall over..[thinking] .So the Boston Herald and their editors printed something they didn't agree with...just for balance. I don't get it[sad2] Would you quote a stat that the "Brady Bunch" came up with.."for balance " on a debate on LTC in Ma....
I confused....[smile]

Back
Top Bottom