Boston has highest number of licensed gun owners in state

Boston has highest number of licensed gun owners in state

"Boston 25 News found more than 100,000 new gun licenses were issued to Mass. residents over the past five years. Boston has the most license holders, following by Springfield, Worcester and Plymouth.

In 2018, Plymouth saw a six percent increase in Class A license holders; they represent nine percent of the town's population.

New Bedford saw a 14 percent increase; about four percent of the city's residents are legally permitted to own and carry guns. "

The interesting part I see is the total number of LTCs. I got my first LTC about 10 years ago. When I got it, I distinctly remember the number of LTCs in the state at ~205K. The total per the data the article references is now 398K, yet the population of the state hasn't really increased.

right...I didn't take the cops having unrestricted into account...
Lots of ordinary, unconnected, unimportant people have them.
The total per the data the article references is now 398K, yet the population of the state hasn't really increased.
The training/fee requirement for an LTC is now equivalent to that for an FID, so anyone who does not fail suitability is probably just getting the LTC.

FID isn't Heller compliant thank to MGL not allowing simple possession of a handgun within the home with one. I get the feeling FIDs will be going the way of the Dodo eventually because Comm2A's suits on the manner eventually working their way up to an appeals court which gives a shit.

FID isn't Heller compliant thank to MGL not allowing simple possession of a handgun within the home with one. I get the feeling FIDs will be going the way of the Dodo eventually because Comm2A's suits on the manner eventually working their way up to an appeals court which gives a shit.
Unfortunately, the court held otherwise in Morin and stated that and FID + PTP was the minimum to meet Heller requirements, despite the clear language in MGL that an FID does not cover possession of a handgun in the home.

While this decision is just plain wrong, it accomplished what the judge wished - the ability to deny Morin standing on his case. It may take years to get this one straightened out.

Boston's are all restricted and they cannot own AR's in the city.
Why is it the Boston experts never live in Boston?

They are NOT “all restricted” stop doing the antis job for them.

The way the AR law is written it is unenforceable, though I am not suggesting anyone break the law.

Pretty soon the resident NES FUDDs are going to have to admit there are plenty enough gun owners to have real political power in this state, if they would lose the negative attitude and get off their asses.

IANAL, but I doubt that these has any lawful power in court. You are licensed to own a firearm by the state of MA, so unless it says so on your license (through a restriction), I don't think anyone can restrict you from owning something specific. Would love to hear a lawyer's opinion on that.
When I put my Mass Gun Law Seminar by and for Non-Lawyers together, I asked Glidden about this. He told me that he met with the City of Boston's Counsel who allegedly told Glidden that said Counsel was unaware that anyone had ever been prosecuted for this by-law violation and said Counsel also allegedly said that he didn't believe it was enforceable. [Since I wasn't part of the conversation, I use the term "allegedly" but believe it to be true. I inform all my students about the by-law and this info as well so they can make their own judgement on how to proceed.]

there may be thousands issued to people because they wanted pepper spray, unaware the law was changed so you wouldn't need a ltc to get it, who still renew that ltc. i'm not wild about the facts and figures game.

I saw one of those "florida school shooting survivors" being interviewed last night on some networks newscast. the kid said 98% of all gun owners favor some sort of gun control and a total national ban of "assault weapons." i'd like to see sources listed for shit like that. I must be one of the 2% they didn't ask. anyone ask you guys for your opinion? i'd say no.

Boston's are all restricted and they cannot own AR's in the city.
I assure you that I am not a cop, a doctor, a lawyer, nor am I politically connected in any way.

sketch-1500943071698.jpg

Lots of ordinary, unconnected, unimportant people have them.

The training/fee requirement for an LTC is now equivalent to that for an FID, so anyone who does not fail suitability is probably just getting the LTC.

According to the map associated with the article, there are 8,448 Class A licenses in Boston. That doesn't sound like "lots" in a population estimated at 687,000 in 2017. In fact, it's only a hair over 1% of all residents. I would also venture to guess that "lots" of these licenses are given to business owners.

IANAL, but I doubt that these has any lawful power in court. You are licensed to own a firearm by the state of MA, so unless it says so on your license (through a restriction), I don't think anyone can restrict you from owning something specific. Would love to hear a lawyer's opinion on that.

So maybe they could put a restriction on your LTC, but Boston can't have a by-law.... and yet they do.

From: Walsh, Chris - Rep. (HOU) [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 5:00 PM
To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Food for thought

xxxxxxxxx

So the excerpt that I copied lays out that localities cannot pass a local ordinance that makes something that is allowed by the state ( gun ownership) illegal at the local level..... in the case of getting a license ownership is allowed but local officials can set a standard because there is a section in the state law that gives them a say in the process.

Chris

"Massachusetts Constitutional amendment : article2 sections 6,8,&3 prohibit any city or town from enacting local ordinances that criminalizes behavior legalized by the legislature....."

So maybe they could put a restriction on your LTC, but Boston can't have a by-law.... and yet they do.

Yeah, perhaps they do, question is - is it enforceable in court. I doubt it.

but Boston can't have a by-law.... and yet they do.
Under certain circumstances, a by-law passed by a city or town must be approved by the state via a "home rule petition".

Boston did exactly that with its AW ban.

There are many M1 carbines in the city in the hands of old 'lifetime' license holders from pre-1989 milsurp sales at Woolworths downtown. There's probably enough WW2 era firepower hidden away in the basements and attics of Brighton alone to knock off a few small Euroweenie countries.

Back
Top Bottom