• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston Gun Rage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a gift cert. a year ago to my old range BGR for $50. I thought I lost it and it turned up in an old sneaker box in the closet. Went down there today to buy some ammo for IDPA practice tomorrow. As I walk in immediatley I'm hounded with, "What do you want?" Well I said I'm looking over here at the ammo, "Yeah well what do you want?" Nice huh? I said I was looking to see if I could buy some ammo and maybe a bulk buy if you could order it for me. "We don't do that try Dicks." Well enough. I said what will this $50 gift cert get me for what you have in .40? That will get you 3 boxes of Remington you will just have to add 97 cents. Ok I say. He grabs three boxes and puts them on the counter in front of me between my hands. Well dosen't hero boy walk out of the range and say NO! grabs the ammo almost out of my hands and throws it back on the shelf. I say what gives. he say's no ammo sales w/ gift cert. But, if you want to buy it here w/ that cert. you have to shoot it here.[shocked] So I say what if I pay cash? He say's no all ammo must be shot at there range. So I say I ain't shootin at this range. So I start looking at some cleaning supplies and he says gift cert is only for shooting not for gun stuff. What the hell! It does not say anywhere on the gift cert about that rule and it does not say anywhere in the store that that is the rule. They suck. So now I have $50 gift cert. collecting dust. Maybe I might just give it away. Don't go to BGR I knew I left there for reason and shame on me for trying to give them a second shot. Asshats!

I would call and ask for a manager,.. you should be able to use a gift cert for anything in the store, it should be as good as cash.

I don't know why but i have been their a few times when its either dark or during bad weather and have always gotten polite service. I have been their both before i had my LTC and after.

Donate to a GOAL raffle?

So that the place can screw over someone else? Stellar suggestion... [rolleyes]

If a manager won't make good on something the store received cash for, call he AG's office. They'll LOVE dealing with it! [wink]

If a manager won't make good on something the store received cash for, call he AG's office. They'll LOVE dealing with it! [wink]

No, because this individual didn't like them although others did. Why not make the best of the situation. So, you're recommending they go the route everyone else was complaining about in the Bass Pro thread?

I would call the manager and complain. If they don't make good tell them that you will come in and burn the $50 and then they will never see you again. Don't put up with lousy service.

Let us know what you decide to do.

I hate to see $ 50 go down the toilet. They did say it was for shooting only. Anyone can use it and shoot in the range. Just can't buy anything else. I won't shoot there I'm just done with there Mickey Mouse BS.

Gift certs.

This is why retailers LOVE gift certs. A HUGE portion of them go unredeemed and they just keep your money. As for THIS asshat, he's feeding you a line of BS. That cert is the equivalent of $50 CASH to be spent by you on ANYTHING in the establishment. (Since as you said, it does not state otherwise anywhere on it)
I'd go back and demand redemption for the ammo you want.

PS the reason he wanted to turn it into range fees is most likely the higher profit margin on that transaction.

Stand strong. [rockon]

No, because this individual didn't like them although others did. Why not make the best of the situation. So, you're recommending they go the route everyone else was complaining about in the Bass Pro thread?

Your idea of making "the best of the situation" involves kneepads and mindless acceptance of abuse.

The store received CASH in exchange for the gift certificate; cash it has had for some time now (as in, has received interest on). You do understand all that, don't you?

Unless the gift certificate expressly states that its use is restricted to range time or ammo to be shot on the range, the store is defrauding the customer. Period. Such abuse of gift certificates is a common retailer practice and the AG's office has a section well versed in dealing with such merchants. In short, this is NOT a "gun issue;" it is a consumer fraud issue. Grasp the distinction.

Your attempt to make this a "dime out the competition" argument by refering to the BPS incident suggests you really don't understand the issue. Whatever your delusions to the contrary, the range is not aiding shooters; it is cheating them. [rolleyes]

They did say it was for shooting only.

Yes. AFTER it was bought and paid for.

Last edited:
They did say it was for shooting only.
Corporations that subscribe to generally accepted accounting practices don't recognize the income from gift certificate until they are redeemed. A problem with the small mom & pop operations is that they frequently don't account for the gift certificate on their books as sequestered funds so that the redemption is not "revenue" (freeing up funds sequestered for that purpose) but an "expense". The range obviously doesn't want to deal with this and is insisting it be redeemed on a product for which there is no incremental expense.

I've seen gift certificates from other ranges that were "Range time only", but they were given out as promotional items and were denominated in units of range time, not dollars.

Boston Gun Range vs. Gunroom

Got a gift cert. a year ago to my old range BGR for $50. I thought I lost it and it turned up in an old sneaker box in the closet. Went down there today to buy some ammo for IDPA practice tomorrow. As I walk in immediatley I'm hounded with, "What do you want?" Well I said I'm looking over here at the ammo, "Yeah well what do you want?" Nice huh? I said I was looking to see if I could buy some ammo and maybe a bulk buy if you could order it for me. "We don't do that try Dicks." Well enough. I said what will this $50 gift cert get me for what you have in .40? That will get you 3 boxes of Remington you will just have to add 97 cents. Ok I say. He grabs three boxes and puts them on the counter in front of me between my hands. Well dosen't hero boy walk out of the range and say NO! grabs the ammo almost out of my hands and throws it back on the shelf. I say what gives. he say's no ammo sales w/ gift cert. But, if you want to buy it here w/ that cert. you have to shoot it here.[shocked] So I say what if I pay cash? He say's no all ammo must be shot at there range. So I say I ain't shootin at this range. So I start looking at some cleaning supplies and he says gift cert is only for shooting not for gun stuff. What the hell! It does not say anywhere on the gift cert about that rule and it does not say anywhere in the store that that is the rule. They suck. So now I have $50 gift cert. collecting dust. Maybe I might just give it away. Don't go to BGR I knew I left there for reason and shame on me for trying to give them a second shot. Asshats!

they are only a few miles from each other; maybe their attitude is contagious [rofl][crying][rolleyes]

Scriv's right on this one. I have used the AG for a similar issue with a hotel. They got 'r done very quickly. Hotel quickly retracted their "restrictions" when the AG pointed out that they weren't disclosed at the time of sale or on the Gift Certificate itself

Imagine this. AG calls the shop and tells them they HAVE to sell the GC holder ammo, or put toward the purchase of guns. This would be the epitome of poetic justice[smile]

+1000 Also inform the guy with an attitude thousands of us at NES are VERY interested in how this turns out. Tell him this has the potential to be the best $50 he ever spent on advertising....or the most expensive $50 he ever earned. Stand your ground.[wink]

50-bucks is 50-bucks! Unless it specifically states on the gift certificate Shooting Range Only, then I would absolutely demand either a cash refund, or exchange for merchandise. I would make it my mission to recover what's owed to you. I once spent $20.00 to fight $7.60. A bank refused to send me my title until I sent them $7.60 which I absolutely did not owe. I could have just caved and given them the money, but I refused. Why? Principle....Don't let these asshats win.

He say's no all ammo must be shot at there range. So I say I ain't shootin at this range.

I've heard this before.

At S&W's range in Springfield, I'm told any ammo I purchase there must be shot at the range. I'm not sure if it's because I'm from out of state, but I'm not allowed to bring any home... not like they search you on your way out though.

Imagine this. AG calls the shop and tells them they HAVE to sell the GC holder ammo, or put toward the purchase of guns. This would be the epitome of poetic justice[smile]
happy50.gif

I'd pay serious money for a recording of THAT call.

Talk to the manager, complain about the treatment and tell him the Better Business Bureau is getting involved. That may get him to comply with your wishes.

Scrivener said:
Unless the gift certificate expressly states that its use is restricted to range time or ammo to be shot on the range, the store is defrauding the customer. Period. Such abuse of gift certificates is a common retailer practice and the AG's office has a section well versed in dealing with such merchants. In short, this is NOT a "gun issue;" it is a consumer fraud issue.

+1,000 AMEN

I've heard this before.
At S&W's range in Springfield, I'm told any ammo I purchase there must be shot at the range. I'm not sure if it's because I'm from out of state, but I'm not allowed to bring any home... not like they search you on your way out though.
I would thinks it's because you're from out of state.

I'm not sure if it's because I'm from out of state
'
The range cannot sell you ammo for off-premises use if you do not have a resident MA LTC (non-resident LTCs do not authorize the purchase of ammo).

ATTENTION...HAs anyone considered that they don't have a lic. to sell ammo.... OH YA the Chief in Worc. Pulled it when the women decided to kill her self!( and as far as i know and I'm pretty good friends with the manager..has not been re-instated)
They can rent and shoot there but thats all folks!!!

I'll be checking tomorrow ..and get back to you all about it!

ATTENTION...HAs anyone considered that they don't have a lic. to sell ammo.... OH YA the Chief in Worc. Pulled it when the women decided to kill her self!( and as far as i know and I'm pretty good friends with the manager..has not been re-instated)
They can rent and shoot there but thats all folks!!!

I'll be checking tomorrow ..and get back to you all about it!

Yes, but if you read JAMMINs post again, you'll see that he attempted to purchase cleaning supplies as well and was told he could not...Unless his cert specifically says "range use only", then these guys are being asshats...

They sell personal deffense ammo also. I was looking at some Magsafe, but they didn't have it in .40 That ammo because its not FMJ can not be used at there range. However they would still not sell that ammo either. Me think bug was up hero's ass! I am not done with trying to get redemption. I will try later this week to see what my options are with them. I would believe that something would have to be done on there part if not I will take it to a higher level, such as the AG. I still won't shoot there though. [popcorn]

Ya missed that about the cleaning supplies!
The Personal ammo..is kinda just sitting there. Yes they have it...but they can't sell it! Well atleast by the letter of the CHEIF

Ya missed that about the cleaning supplies!
The Personal ammo..is kinda just sitting there. Yes they have it...but they can't sell it! Well atleast by the letter of the CHEIF
Fith, what direction do you think I should go? I'm kinda at a loss here. All I want is $50 worth of something. I'm not difficult I just want redemption on the gift cert. I think it sucks that they can sell a general gift cert. w/ no rules or regulations on it and not let you do anything w/ it accept shoot there led at there range. Weird?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom