Boston Gun and Rifle in Dorchester

Anybody been by there recently? My Membership lapsed and I joined another range that allows guests to come for free, since I had a number of people expressing interest in shooting. I saw the BGRA website has undergone an upgrade and wanted to know if any upgrades/improvements have been made to the facilities. I always enjoyed shooting there, because it was rarely crowded like my current range, but the upkeep was neglected quite a bit.

Thanks for the feedback.

B

Unfortunately the website is about it. [sad2] Same nice people there at least.

The people definitely made it a great experience. A few of the regulars that I did get a chance to meet were classy and easy to talk to. Some of them post on these boards from time to time.

With my limited budget for shooting, I had to pick a more n00b friendly range for guest access and all, but the trade off is definitely that it is impersonal and I havent made the connections with members and staff like at BGRA. If I could afford both, I would in a heartbeat. Besides, there is something special about a gun range in the middle of Boston, considering the negative political climate and sentiment towards law abiding LTC owners. [smile]

BGRA is going lead free February 1st, 2019.
ljdliAV.jpg

rn4TLyC.jpg

Last edited:
$22 a box of 9mm? Plus $60 an hour for range time... so if I went for two hours and shot 200 rounds it would be $208 + tax... ‍♂️ SMH

That range fee is if you aren't a member and not a guest of a member. Yearly membership is $125.

I think this will be death knell for BRGA except as an MBTA training facility and provider of licensing classes.

The BRGA prices for the Sinterfire ammo seem pretty decent (I was unable to find it cheaper online), but the price at triple what you can get lead for at 4seasons, or about 4x the cost of reloading is going to be a killer. Plus, the "only bought at our facility" may have pure motives (preventing the sneaking of lead ammo), it's another factor that is going to drive people away. They'll still get people taking the licensing class, or who are very casual shooters who use the range once a year, but that's going to be about it.

I hope their business plan has anticipated and made provisions for the fact that they have significantly shifted the supply curve while the demand curve remains unchanged. bottle-cap sums it up nicely.

As to "recent price reductions" in their letter, this strikes me like those expensive services that put the word ONLY in front of the price in an attempt to make it sound reasonable.

Last edited:
I think this will be death knell for BRGA except as an MBTA training facility and provider of licensing classes.

The BRGA prices for the Sinterfire ammo seem pretty decent (I was unable to find it cheaper online), but the price at triple what you can get lead for at 4seasons, or about 4x the cost of reloading is going to be a killer. Plus, the "only bought at our facility" may have pure motives (preventing the sneaking of lead ammo), it's another factor that is going to drive people away. They'll still get people taking the licensing class, or who are very casual shooters who use the range once a year, but that's going to be about it.

I hope their business plan has anticipated, and made provisions, for the fact that they have significantly shifted the supply curve while the demand curve remains unchanged.

The lead-free thing seems like overkill. Legend has it some dude went prone during a USPSA match there, was coughing up lead dust for weeks afterwards, and turned out more or less fine. A little bit of lead won't hurt the occasional shooter.

It is a good facility but the ventilation was always poor even in the 1990s to early 2000s when I went there many times. Going lead free rather than improving the ventilation will turn out to be a very unwise economic decision I believe.

In the late seventies, I shot the Sunday morning combat matches there, for a couple of years. Maybe I should go get a Lead check?

Last edited:
Braintree is fine. You get 24/7 access to both indoor ranges, and 10 am to sunset on outdoor ranges as long as RO is present. Noon start on weekends.
Need to get on orientation list and sign up if you are interested. Sign up on website. BRP.org.

10 round mag limit and all ammo purchased at the range?? [rofl]

I dunno if the mag limit is for the event or a range rule... lots of shooting sports mandate 10 or less in some rules. In old school pin shooting it was 6 rounds, to establish at least slight parity with revolver shooters.

The notox mandate is mind numbing, though. Pretty much makes it unusable outside of a training course where you can bury the ammo costs....

Yeah lea

FIFY

You mean people aren't supposed to shoot at the Fortress building off 93? [rofl] I swear every time I drove by that thing i would see more bullet damage in the building.... I think it also didn't help that they had an inflatable padlock, that basically just challenged malcontents to try to deflate it....

I was a member back in the 90's it was where I trained the Brinks employees.The owner Mike,and the instructors Pat,Mort,and Bob were really nice guys.

I dunno if the mag limit is for the event or a range rule... lots of shooting sports mandate 10 or less in some rules. In old school pin shooting it was 6 rounds, to establish at least slight parity with revolver shooters.

The notox mandate is mind numbing, though. Pretty much makes it unusable outside of a training course where you can bury the ammo costs....

10 rounds is a match rule.

The Nontox thing is because of contractual requirements with the LEO agencies, security companies, and the Coast Guard for a clean training range. A ventilation system and backstop from 1976 isn't adequate anymore without the change to lead free.

Boston Gun and Rifle will be open this evening 3/20 until 9pm. We will be open tomorrow, 3/21, for club members only, until 6pm. As of 3/22, the club and range will be closed until this public health crisis has been brought under control. Please visit our website page and here on Facebook for regular updates. Thank you for your understanding and continued support!

New Years hours:
Howdy, BGRA Gang!

Just a heads-up that the club will be closing today at 6 PM. So, if you feel like getting in some last 2021 shots, please stop by between 2 PM and 5:15 PM.

We will be closed all day tomorrow (Saturday) for New Year’s Day, and we will be open regular hours on Sunday, 9am to 6pm (with a last start time at 5:15pm).

Happy New Year to you all, and we look forward to seeing you out on the range in 2022!
🔫
🎉

🤠
-Gary K.

Back
Top Bottom