• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston globe Mill article

I gave two people their first gunhandling experiences this summer when I was in CT.
Both are wives of friends of mine, both are "liberals", neither had handled a firearm before, and one was absolutely terrified.
And??

Where they hot?? This is NES, you left out the most sought after information!

might be a little harsh [laugh] they're scared shit is all, like anyone else who doesn't understand. we're around guns, we like guns, we're around people who like guns, we're on the internet gun boards. safe to say 75% of the people we know and hang with are gun people. me, every trades person, medical professional etc. i use are gun people. those folks, noooo. at their flower shows and saturday bbq's they discuss the latest mass shooting and brag how much they donated to liz warren. ignorance is all. if these people, or some, can be swayed, gentle coaxing is going to do it, not calling them names.

serously, the kids who go...and went to music school...are good ones to educate their parents, who have probably never been inside. they got to tell them it's not a bunch of bare chested fanatics (well, we are) jumping around an open fire calling for jihad. and face it, that building is a wreck, and is not inviting. and the parking lot is a death trap, so you can imagine their imaginations are running rampant, they're scared shit to start with, not gonna want to go in to investigate for themselves unless they go in with someone who knows the place. people are scared with what they don't know.

remember when you were a child and there was always an old childless couple in a beat to shit house in the vicinity. and how you were told to stay away from them cause they hated children. rocks were thrown at the house, you made fun of them, just made life miserable for them...until one day someone discovered they were the nicest people on the planet. same thing with the mill, ignorance until shown otherwise.

and remember, never, ever talk to the press. even if you think you are the most articulate bastard in the world and can change opinions with your eloquent words.

Lol except for well, Some of them clearly knew what the mill was and had even like been inside it, but still clueless. An old building is uninviting? well most of mass industrial zones are old buildings. It’s not exactly out of character.

imho this garbage has nothing to do with the appearance of the building or its tenants (who one lady ever asserted are “probably nice people” ) this is 110% irrational “cuz guns” rhetoric.

I could put up a multi million dollar four-story building that looks pretty on the outside has a guard and only allows entry by invitation. hell even landscaping and that shitty curbing they love, and we’re still at the same point. “zomgz 80 gun dealers!!! arm flapping armflap, guh buh wuuuuh! zomgs dey said assalt wepins!!!! bweaaaaah! cluck cluck! quack quack!!!!! bray bray!!!!!!”. 🤣

Have you guys even seen the karens in this state wrt guns? This is not their first appearance. Did you see what they tried to do to that poor guy in Dedham that was setting a shop up like not far from a playground or some bullshit? That was /one/ shop, with the guy that probably sells the boring LCD type stuff in mass. they were still there getting upset about GUNZ in the neighborhood etc.

I liked the women who got up and let all the people whining about not knowing that all this information is readily available and they need to put in the work to find it and attend meetings. How over 30 years checking people in at town meetings she always sees the same people involved in the town and everyone else just comes out when its a “hot” topic. They complain even though everything has been out in the open and done according to the law but they were too lazy to attend meetings or follow it.

Its also plain as day that liberals act on emotion and disregard logic and facts. I thought of all the “salons” and “barber shops” in Roxbury, Dorchester, etc that are likely money laundering fronts for illegal activities. If there was 80 “barber shops” in the Mill they would have no issue even though if that was the case its a higher probability they were doing some nefarious things. And I doubt they have the same level of scrutiny as far as background checks and audits as a FFL.

mr. drgrant, mike, i think you might be missing my point. agreed people fear what they don't know about, yes? getting in the local townsfolk faces nose to nose, yelling, spitting and sputtering in their faces, calling them names, demanding they change their opinion is not the way to go. i certainly don't pay attention to people who do it to me. my opinions are not popular, i know that, but i'm not afraid to publish them here even though i'm in the minority. and i don't ride the wave with the majority to gather likes.

wish i had an answer. now it's been 55 years i've watched our gun rights erode. people who think we're getting any of them back are dreaming. the best goa, nra, comm 2a and goal do are slow that erosion down, like tossing a sandbag at the rising tide. and i often think there might not be a 2nd amendment in 100 years. people don't realize amendments can go away. think prohibition. the right political climate and... remember, never say never. i hope i'm wrong. we need a national capital punishment for a capital crime committed with a firearm. we need police in management positions who are qualified, not put in place because of their color or sex.

as for this local problem, i can't solve it. one thought i had was to maybe some sunday, have an open house at the mill. invite the town managers or counsel, whatever they have, the chief of police, deputy chief and let the counsel invite a rational member of the community. coffee, snacks, let them ask questions, meet some of the calmer ffl holders who rent there, give then a walk about. it can't hurt anything, the damage has already been done with the two articles. explain the process in detail what a ffl holder goes thru to get the federal license, the background check procedure a person goes through to buy a gun. the storage and transport laws that are in place that we follow. maybe a representative of one of the local organizations could make themselves available that day. show them who we are and what we are about. a thought is all, i don't see anyone tossing out anything better, just shaking their fists in the air.

mr. drgrant, mike, i think you might be missing my point. agreed people fear what they don't know about, yes? getting in the local townsfolk faces nose to nose, yelling, spitting and sputtering in their faces, calling them names, demanding they change their opinion is not the way to go. i certainly don't pay attention to people who do it to me. my opinions are not popular, i know that, but i'm not afraid to publish them here even though i'm in the minority. and i don't ride the wave with the majority to gather likes.

Did you see anyone "spitting in their faces" at that meeting? I didn't. Hell some of the arguments in favor of the tenants weren't even about
guns. Oh noes maybe someone in the peanut gallery MAY have called one of them a Karen, but thats not a shocker at this point. Those people are everywhere ruining and disrupting things and not just WRT guns but every aspect of life, town govnernments meetings and HOAs all over the
country. Hell at least one of them basically described herself as a Karen. not sure if you missed that part, or not. The non karen part of america
is getting sick of them, and thats not a partisan thing either, there are liberals, moderates and conservatives that are getting sick of karens and gladys kravitzes.

Also maybe I'm imagining things but it certainly didnt seem like there was a ton of people there. I wasn't "physically" there though, but when an anti
said something and like what sounded like maybe 6-10 people clap and there's not an explosion of applause or whatever that's not exactly a huge grassroots thing going on there. They couldn't even be bothered to get "the usual suspects" with their logo shirts or whatever to pack the meeting. If I was going
to make a wag Bloomberg, et al probably thought this was stupid and not a good look for them.

wish i had an answer. now it's been 55 years i've watched our gun rights erode. people who think we're getting any of them back are dreaming. the best goa, nra, comm 2a and goal do are slow that erosion down, like tossing a sandbag at the rising tide. and i often think there might not be a 2nd amendment in 100 years. people don't realize amendments can go away. think prohibition.

more defeatist garbage, but in the past decade or so I've seen a lot to the contrary. Maybe not so much in mass but the world exists beyond a bunch
of communist states. BTW prohibition ended because it failed. Prohibition attempts vs guns will fail similarly. We've been watching that failure in slow
motion, every year. Millions more buying guns, crap laws falling because voters will it or courts will it, etc. Other than edge crap like "erpo" (that will eventually get ruled illegal in many places) it doesn't look like we're losing, frankly.

as for this local problem, i can't solve it.

Who says its actually a problem, outside of those karens? I mean you also saw how unhinged/irrational most of them were, basically saying "I dont care if their conduct is 110% legal, I just dont like guns" once you get to that point its kinda hard to win hearts and minds. There's no lady going "I'm concerned but also I admit part of my concern is because I dont understand how this works." (that's more of a non gun/tepid anti position though vs one willing to show up at a town meeting type of anti position. )

one thought i had was to maybe some sunday, have an open house at the mill. invite the town managers or counsel, whatever they have, the chief of police, deputy chief and let the counsel invite a rational member of the community. coffee, snacks, let them ask questions, meet some of the calmer ffl holders who rent there, give then a walk about. it can't hurt anything, the damage has already been done with the two articles. explain the process in detail what a ffl holder goes thru to get the federal license, the background check procedure a person goes through to buy a gun. the storage and transport laws that are in place that we follow. maybe a representative of one of the local organizations could make themselves available that day. show them who we are and what we are about. a thought is all, i don't see anyone tossing out anything better, just shaking their fists in the air.

Not a horrible idea, however, I think a lot of the people you are referring to are not "blind" or uninformed to the process as you seem to think they are. It's not like town government and the police chief etc are not familiar with the process, the PD has been /intimately/ involved with it as well as providing inspections and this and that for the dealers. Some officials at other levels, that are not familiar might find value in that sort of thing you describe, however others likely would view it as a waste of time like what the karens are basically doing. It's hard to even know honestly wether they care or not. My gut check reaction? Those people on the select board were more annoyed with the premise of the karens than anything having to do about guns. and if some town edict or decision comes out of this etc its not going to be "cuz guns r bad" its "cuz we're sick of listening to the braying". etc.

Let's put it this way, its not as if theres some exigent public safety thing going on here. There's probably a faded crosswalk or a streetlight with a dead
bulb in it not far from the mill that likely poses a greater problem.

There are other people at the mill who likely understand the actual town politics way better than this and would be in a better position to attempt
outreach. One thing I have seen though, in a lot of cases over the years, WRT gun rights, sometimes silence is better than a poorly thought out public outreach attempt, I'll just leave it at that.

Honestly, it seems like that would have been a 'good point' to bring up at the meeting since everyone was 'GASP, 80!!!, now 90' etc etc.

I do somewhat agree that a bit of community 'outreach' (in whatever form) might be helpful. I was amused by the woman who followed the guy from Battleroad that said (something like) 'he seems like a nice guy'.

The globe created this as was their goal. The “journalists “ at the globe are activists who practice an activist/agenda journalism. They who the original article with the purpose of creating a hysteria from the ignorant which they would write about in future articles, and to bring pressure on Healy and get her to go after the dealers which they’d write about too. Their agenda is anti gun and they push articles to advance their political agenda.

They did the same type of thing to the radio station weei and destroyed them. That station is a shell of what it was and gets 1/5th the rating they once did. Weei owners caved to the globe, that’s the difference here vs then
You are sooo correct! The Glob is a leftist propaganda sheet, they forced Dennis and Callahan and Minahane off the air and forced Curt Shilling and family to move to TN. Every time I see Davis Ortiz on a commercial or at Fenway I just shake my head and laugh, imagine if they went after Ortiz like they did Shilling? Hmm, Schilling was a great husband, Father, citizen and baseball pitcher but he was a gun owning Conservative while Ortiz is a cheating dog who has many shady acquaintances but isn't a TRUMP supporter. Hmmm, what happened to Tiffany his white "wife"? If Dems didn't have hypocrisy, they wouldn't have any morals and values.

wish i had an answer. now it's been 55 years i've watched our gun rights erode. people who think we're getting any of them back are dreaming. the best goa, nra, comm 2a and goal do are slow that erosion down, like tossing a sandbag at the rising tide. and i often think there might not be a 2nd amendment in 100 years. people don't realize amendments can go away. think prohibition. the right political climate and... remember, never say never. i hope i'm wrong. we need a national capital punishment for a capital crime committed with a firearm. we need police in management positions who are qualified, not put in place because of their color or sex.

as for this local problem, i can't solve it. one thought i had was to maybe some sunday, have an open house at the mill. invite the town managers or counsel, whatever they have, the chief of police, deputy chief and let the counsel invite a rational member of the community. coffee, snacks, let them ask questions, meet some of the calmer ffl holders who rent there, give then a walk about. it can't hurt anything, the damage has already been done with the two articles. explain the process in detail what a ffl holder goes thru to get the federal license, the background check procedure a person goes through to buy a gun. the storage and transport laws that are in place that we follow. maybe a representative of one of the local organizations could make themselves available that day. show them who we are and what we are about. a thought is all, i don't see anyone tossing out anything better, just shaking their fists in the air.
This erosion and what happens in 100 years is what concerns me. My son is being taught about guns, the Constitution, conservative values, the Pledge of Allegiance. But his school is run by liberal women who have been indoctrinated for decades in schools and universities. I am almost at a loss for how to fight this fight to make the next generation believe in and want to protect the Constitution, freedom, our rights. Moving north maybe just set it back a year or so.

We need to take nieces, nephews, sons, daughters, grand kids to the range (when age appropriate). Read them stories about founding of this country. Tell them we are a culture built on rugged individualism, fierce warrior mentality, and a believe in equality (NOT EQUITY) and freedom. Teach them ‘effectiveness’ is more important than comfort. We need to fight at the school board level. Get federal laws about Pledge of Allegiance and civics in schools. Put the liberal progressives on the run somehow with laws and a loud voices by a majority (that I believe exists but is laying low). Hopefully Nov starts us on this path.

Her T-shirt says it all, she needs false crusades to make her feel special. Trans Kids? What parent worries about such nonsense when there are many other issues affecting your kids like a poor curriculum, lazy Teachers and staff/Teachers Unions who seem to think indoctrination is more important than reading, writing ,math and critical thinking skills and American history. I guess she's not to concerned with the DOJ targeting parents who want to have a say in their kid's education. Total phony and drama queen.

No offense, but you need to get out of your shithole state (in terms of gun rights) more often.

25 states now have Constitutional Carry. New York State Rifle & Pistol Association Inc. v. Bruen removed "proper cause" from your own state, and continues to strike down onerous laws nearly every day. No version of an AWB has a snowball's chance in hell of passing the Senate (or being revived in the House in the next Congress), the "biggest piece of gun safety legislation in 30 years" is pretty much meaningless drivel, and that's what they're crowing about.

Really. Get out more.

no offense, but your answer is to run away? don't let the door slap you on the ass on the way out!

MA is lost. Staying is capitulation to the left.

There's plenty of states where votes still matter and things are actively improving. Voting doesn't matter in MA and things are definitely not improving there.

I doubt there's many people here who were born and raised in MA who moved out and thought that they could of ever made a friggen difference in MA. I used to think we could. Then I saw what went on for over a decade when I had my eyes open and it's more than obvious there's no wins to be had worth mentioning there. Let MA be what it wants to be, which is a statist nightmare like NJ or NY.

Guns werent my last straw in MA. COVID was. And I'll never, ever again deal with that f***ing bullshit. Good f***ing bye.

no offense, but your answer is to run away? don't let the door slap you on the ass on the way out!
If I may help translate, he is inviting you to look around at other places. Not that you have to move.

I enjoy talking to gun owners in other states and they are busy discussing whether the Chilis or Applebees parking lot is better for purchasing guns without showing ID. They are carrying concealed without the government even knowing they own guns. Heck, the privacy minded ones have never filled out a 4473, preferring Chilis and their 3D printer. They have excellent run-and-gun and multi gun competitions. They have mile long ranges to test their hand loads at. Things that Mass residents can’t even imagine, all done legally and easily. That’s what the future of gun rights looks like in other places, our challenge is to bring that to Mass. Gun rights are winning in most states, don’t let the headlines about the 7 (former) may-issue states get you down.

If I may help translate, he is inviting you to look around at other places. Not that you have to move.
There's a subset on NES who hates people who leave MA. They think MA expats are the problem as they lessen the amount of conservatives in MA.

I never subscribed to that thought process. I was always pretty jealous of people who lived in NH or ME when I lived in MA. And every time I visited those states I wanted to stay there. I wasn't resentful to people for moving to where they actually want to live with like minded people.

NES is really weird sometimes. Escaping MA or NY or NJ or CA is a GOOD thing and should be celebrated.

Not sure if it was posted, here is the Littleton selectman meeting. Hilarious

Nearly every speaker has that liberal look, the black rimmed glasses, etc. wait till they find out you can get any gun part mailed to your house (except the receiver)

View: https://youtu.be/lDCW8K_pZgA

I thought: "I'm not watching all of this shit..." but, it's like a train wreck. I just couldn't look away.

They could have saved a lot of time by simply saying "If you're coming up to the microphone with a mask on, save it. We already know what you're going to say."

There's a subset on NES who hates people who leave MA. They think MA expats are the problem as they lessen the amount of conservatives in MA.

I never subscribed to that thought process. I was always pretty jealous of people who lived in NH or ME when I lived in MA. And every time I visited those states I wanted to stay there. I wasn't resentful to people for moving to where they actually want to live with like minded people.

NES is really weird sometimes. Escaping MA or NY or NJ or CA is a GOOD thing and should be celebrated.
What do you mean really weird sometimes?

First off, reading is fundamental. I don't live in that shithole state (in terms of gun rights), so there's no door to slap me.

Second, reading is fundamental. I said "get out of your shithole state (in terms of gun rights) more often," as in "You should get out more often." Also as in, "There's a great big world out here that has nothing to do with your shithole state (in terms of gun rights.)"

Really, did I mention reading is fundamental?

Lol. You've just described almost every single municipal meeting I've ever attended when anything controversial was on the menu. Touwn Council, Selectmen, School Committee, School Building Committee... it doesn't matter. Whether the issue is gunzz at the Mill or smartboards for the middle school, the freaks always come out to flap their gums.

I have no issue with that. That's what local government is all about: having your say in public with your fellow citizens. Like I say, at least events such as the Littleton Select Board meeting give us the names and addresses of our enemies, lol.
Having been to, and part of, more than my share of municipal meetings, I'd say this one was pretty tame. Sure there were those with strong opinions and they clearly didn't know the reality of the situation, compared to what the Globe said, but on the whole they behaved well.

You guys need to spend more time in municipal government and see what meetings usually get like when there is a highly controversial subject.

MA is lost. Staying is capitulation to the left.

There's plenty of states where votes still matter and things are actively improving. Voting doesn't matter in MA and things are definitely not improving there.

I doubt there's many people here who were born and raised in MA who moved out and thought that they could of ever made a friggen difference in MA. I used to think we could. Then I saw what went on for over a decade when I had my eyes open and it's more than obvious there's no wins to be had worth mentioning there. Let MA be what it wants to be, which is a statist nightmare like NJ or NY.

Guns werent my last straw in MA. COVID was. And I'll never, ever again deal with that f***ing bullshit. Good f***ing bye.
i get it, following the new patriot tradition started by biden in afghanistan...RUN. no sin in running away.

No one has an issue w/ people celebrating leaving MA, it's those shitting on people who don't leave MA that's the issue. Whenever I hear of someone leaving I cheer for them, I'm happy for them, I wish it could be me. Not everyone that wants to leave can. Some have family or business obligations or both. Maybe someday when I retire and can find comparable services for my kids elsewhere, I'll consider it. Unfortunately, the rural areas in Tennessee aren't known for their group homes and I kinda rely on Children's Hospital as much as I feel like taking a dump in the lobby every time I have to go there. My daughter had cornea surgery there on Thursday. They're the best in the world at what they do and sometimes you need to swallow some shit in the process. I'm not having Cletus at East Bumblef*** Hospital work on my kids eyes. Dana Farber saved my life. The best I can probably hope for is to hop across the border to NH when I retire but my kids will still need services in MA so I'll still be dealing w/ MA Gun laws, only worse. At least here I can carry and have pretty much what I want. If I'm in NH I probably wouldn't be able to carry at the MA hospitals without jumping through infinitely more hoops than I have to now. From a business perspective, while I can work remotely when I want, my business is based and licensed in MA. It's not portable. If I could go back 30 years would I have come here? No but I was coming from NJ and guns weren't really top of mind for me then. And if I could do it over again I wouldn't have had kids either. But there are no do-overs. So I stay and do what I can to help the cause.

No one has an issue w/ people celebrating leaving MA, it's those shitting on people who don't leave MA that's the issue. Whenever I hear of someone leaving I cheer for them, I'm happy for them, I wish it could be me. Not everyone that wants to leave can. Some have family or business obligations or both. Maybe someday when I retire and can find comparable services for my kids elsewhere, I'll consider it. Unfortunately, the rural areas in Tennessee aren't known for their group homes and I kinda rely on Children's Hospital as much as I feel like taking a dump in the lobby every time I have to go there. My daughter had cornea surgery there on Thursday. They're the best in the world at what they do and sometimes you need to swallow some shit in the process. I'm not having Cletus at East Bumblef*** Hospital work on my kids eyes. Dana Farber saved my life. The best I can probably hope for is to hop across the border to NH when I retire but my kids will still need services in MA so I'll still be dealing w/ MA Gun laws, only worse. At least here I can carry and have pretty much what I want. If I'm in NH I probably wouldn't be able to carry at the MA hospitals without jumping through infinitely more hoops than I have to now. From a business perspective, while I can work remotely when I want, my business is based and licensed in MA. It's not portable. If I could go back 30 years would I have come here? No but I was coming from NJ and guns weren't really top of mind for me then. And if I could do it over again I wouldn't have had kids either. But there are no do-overs. So I stay and do what I can to help the cause.
If there didn't exist any actual "good reasons" to remain in the People's DimocRATic Republic of Taxachusetts, no sane person would live here. The fact is that some sane people are still here and that is an indication to me that those "good reasons" can and do exist. 🤔

Wow. Makes me sad to read that. My kids are the only really worthwhile thing I've accomplished.

Back
Top Bottom