• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston Dining and Drinking Thread

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where can I get a good grinder near Government Center? I'm thinking Dino's in the North End.

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm taking Kashmir off my list of good indian places. Went last night, told them medium spicy everything.....BLAND. The saag paneer, veggie biryani, aloo gobi, tandoory chicken, all of them had barely any flavor. And the prices were definitely on the high side ($20 for lamb rogan jhosh, and it was barely 2 servings).

Yes, I get that it's located on boylston st in a high traffic popular area, catering to white people with sensitive taste buds. But really, if you're gonna be the poster boy of downtown indian food, at least make it the real deal. \endrant

My new numero uno is:

GODAVARI in woburn (cummings park). Oh man, when they say "truly south indian", they mean it. Growing up, we drove 45 minutes to get good Dosa. Now it's in my backyard. Full flavor, DOSA, and the weekend lunch buffets are EPIC. It's right off rt95. Highly recommended.

goslow

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our favorite restaurant is 224 Boston Street. I’m reluctant to post this.
224? Thought they were closed. 20+ years ago, my wife & I were there once a week . Going to head down soon. Thanks for the heads up.

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm taking Kashmir off my list of good indian places. Went last night, told them medium spicy everything.....BLAND. The saag paneer, veggie biryani, aloo gobi, tandoory chicken, all of them had barely any flavor. And the prices were definitely on the high side ($20 for lamb rogan jhosh, and it was barely 2 servings).

Yes, I get that it's located on boylston st in a high traffic popular area, catering to white people with sensitive taste buds. But really, if you're gonna be the poster boy of downtown indian food, at least make it the real deal. \endrant

My new numero uno is:

GODAVARI in woburn (cummings park). Oh man, when they say "truly south indian", they mean it. Growing up, we drove 45 minutes to get good Dosa. Now it's in my backyard. Full flavor, DOSA, and the weekend lunch buffets are EPIC. It's right off rt95. Highly recommended.
Bah! with a name like "Kumar", what could you possibly know about good Indian food? [troll]

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My new numero uno is:

There is a Godavari in Framingham, on route 9, as well.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Oyster bars: Neptune, Citizen, or Union FTW?
Select on Gloucester st. is worth a visit, one of my customers took me for dinner there. I had haddock and we split some oysters beforehand, they had several types to choose from.

Union is a decent restaurant (despite the tourist trap trappings) but I've never actually had their oysters ironically.

-Mike

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Select on Gloucester st. is worth a visit, one of my customers took me for dinner there. I had haddock and we split some oysters beforehand, they had several types to choose from.

Union is a decent restaurant (despite the tourist trap trappings) but I've never actually had their oysters ironically.

-Mike
they are good, especially if you sit at the oyster bar (the one that looks old enough for paul revere to have eaten oysters there). But OMG, bring your wallet

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Troquet on South is one of our favorite places. We’ve been going to Chris’s restaurants for almost 20 years. Always good.

Hei la moon on Beach st has the best dim sum in town. I’ve got to get back there.

China King also on beach st has great Peking duck but you have to order it the day before.
Ended up going to Troquet last week and I got:

*A house gin cocktail similar to an Aviation
*Side of bread
*Steak frites
*Chocolate mousse

Very good and conveniently near South Station.

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Prime steak from Costco. Weber charcoal grill with better grade charcoal. My deck.

It is rare I get a steak at a restaurant that is better than I make at home.

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Prime steak from Costco. Weber charcoal grill with better grade charcoal. My deck.

It is rare I get a steak at a restaurant that is better than I make at home.
I'm in the same situation. Unless I'm spending $25+ on a steak at a high end place, I know I could make something better at home and I just make steak myself. So when I do go out, I make sure its either great food at a low price or awesome food and price is not a concern.

Top Bottom