Boston considering $5.00 toll to enter and/or exit city

HARRYM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys are running under a global change theory as you know. Might be the same thing as congestion pricing but it has another group of followers and believers.

Sooner or later something they toss at the wall is going to stick.
So as you all know all of this crap came on the heels of the fiscal report that the spending in MA is unsustainable. So Govermenthas two choices. 1, cut spending. 2, hold the Taxpayers by their heels and continue to drain their bank accounts.

No need for me to say if its 1 or 2.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
So as you all know all of this crap came on the heels of the fiscal report that the spending in MA is unsustainable. So Govermenthas two choices. 1, cut spending. 2, hold the Taxpayers by their heels and continue to drain their bank accounts.

No need for me to say if its 1 or 2.
But they just got huge raises. What gives?

richc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
What happened when liquor stores were closed on Sundays in MA? You'd drive to the nearest spot in NH for your fix.

What will happen if this goes through? Folks will drive/park in all the adjacent areas without the $5 fee.

It will just shift the problem.

What about folks who need medical care at Longwood on a frequent basis? Or folks visiting loved ones who are in the hospital?

What about delivery drivers and companies, or pizza delivery folks? What about field service folks who run from place to place around the city?

What about those that just pass through one area on the way to another, taking the most convenient routes? Can't take those because of the fees, it will clog up other routes.

How about those driving into Boston for an event? A tradeshow? Or someone just gets lost and gets dinged $5 or $10?

What about retail? You gonna pay Boston $5 or $10 to check out a store in those areas?

It's a ClusterF*ck of massive proportions. There's no good way to enforce or implement it. There are more exceptions than one can imagine. And it will hurt many in unfortunate ways.

Reactions: AHM
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
You missed my obvious humor of people on both sides of the argument using LOCAL WEATHER to explain their position on GLOBAL TEMPERATURE changes.

But then you can't ding the people passing under Boston via 93. If they don't stop, you can't get paid. Mahhhdee's gadda get paid!

Millenials (do DOOOO do do do!) are moving back TO the cities. No kids or minimal kids. They want to be close to places they spend $. Last year, people in Murrica spent more $ at restaurants than they did at grocery stores. First time. Crazy!

Young people have no kids and disposable income. So they spend it on experiences. Experiences happen in cities. Fresh air? A driveway and garage? A workshop??? Who wants those?? They want to go do something that they have to pay for. They fix nothing. They need very little space. Look at hte Tiny House movement. Damn. That wouldn't hold the average NES gun collection, let alone power tools and the like. "Sure, here's my tiny house. And right next door is my 50x100 heated workspace/garage/barn." LOL

I don't understand the trend. I also concur that the STATE shouldn't subsidize the move. It was a guilt thing when urban escape meant the poorest were "stuck" in the cities. Now that the trend is reversing, the residents can pay for their own crap.

As far as Marty is concerned, I avoid Boston like the plague now. Not sure that this would ever affect me.
I can actually understand some of the allure of living in the city - IF all you want to do with your life is go out to eat , have random hookups with people you'll never see again, never have any REAL responsibility - etc. I lived in the city for a while - and I actually liked it, but I was young (college age) - and it was a completely "investment free" lifestyle.

I've also had a couple of brief stays in tiny houses. They're sort of cool - but as far as I'm concerned they're basically just a glorified camping trailer made with a different method of construction and with some different styling. Sort of cool if your "lifestyle" is sitting around a camp fire drinking beer and hanging out with your buds - or as a place to crash after a day out riding your mountain bike or snowboarding. Actually living in one would be pretty tough IMHO. As you pointed out : I'd probably use up half of the typical tiny house just to store the gun collection and all the ammo.

Poor people live in small houses. That's a truism that has been in place for pretty much all of recorded history. I don't see anything really changing that. The millenials going around telling themselves that they WANT to live in a tiny house because it's a lifestyle choice , and that they'll be "rich in experiences" seem a little bit like all these people taking hormones and getting surgery and then running around telling themselves and everybody else that they're this gender or that gender - when some of cellular level inspection under a microscope is going to prove differently.

My wife has a postcard on the refrigerator that sounds like something one of these millenials would say:

"There is no expiration date on memories".

My wife gets upset when I tell her: " yes there is , anybody who says that obviously never met an Alzheimers patient "

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The obvious response to this is a procession of Brodozers rolling coal and circling City Hall. [banana]
We're talking about the PRM here.
Priuses rolling color.

If they didn't let so many illegal aliens into the state - maybe they wouldn't have so much congestion to begin with.
Once again we have a leftist problem. They're the ones who are all for unrestricted immigration. They're the ones who feed on the tax dollars.
I came up with a solution a few seasons ago,
but I just thought up the perfect name for it:
"Exitism" - the diametric opposite of "Entryism".

In the Commie-invented tactic of Entryism,
you suborn an opponent organization by joining it en masse,
and voting in your own agents to destroy it from within.

In Exitism, you neutralize a hostile component of a Republic,
by reducing its legislative power.

In the case of the USA,
it doesn't mean neutering the People's Republic of Massachusetts
by moving to Keene.

It just means refusing to fill out census forms.

What if every Republican in Mass. boycotted the 2020 census?
How many Representatives in Congress would lose their seats?
In the limit you could nuke nearly half the delegation.

Of course, this strategy could be applied tit-for-tat by Red State Donks.
And it would be difficult to get most people to do it.

But with enough lead time, you might be able to nuke one of the seats.
(And hell, what are the odds on electing even one GOP to Congress from Mass?)

Maybe don a yellow vest and go on TV representing a mythical grassroots movement.
Complain about illegal voting by crimaliens, dead people, students.

Demand photo voter ID and counting only legal residents in the decennial census
as the price for not triggering the Exitism doomsday device.

P. S. I dodged the 2010 census for a few months, without the above purpose.
The census-taker I finally opened the door to
was an unemployed wine store clerk from the next town.
(I looked up his name on LinkedIn).

If the economy is still gangbusters in 2020,
the Feds are going to have real trouble finding enough enumerators.

Which means they'll probably hire an even greater percentage of
pajama boys who can be bribed to Make Stuff Up.

Brilliant idea.
Keep more people from spending money at the local businesses there.
My very first reaction was,
"guess we'll need to back off on buying restaurant gift certificates in December
that come with a bonus certificate".

I love how these idiots act like China and India aren’t pumping out unregulated pollution by the kilotons a year. Charging me now doesn’t make China and India stop from pissing in the pool.
I'm sure that $5.00 per trip is only Phase I.

It's a good way to prod some companies to relocate outside Boston.
GE stockholders must be so proud that they turned their nose up at Pease.

How the <bleep> does that stupid exterminator not wear surgical gloves
while messing around with the inside of a rat trap?

Talk about a good place to contract Ebolaids...

Unless the city paid for brand-spanking-new traps.
I can definitely see them doing that.

What about ... pizza delivery folks?
People will just buy DiGiorno instead.

Last edited:

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Unfortunately Ma**h***s are fucxing that state up quick.
People still blaming MA? SMH

Mass has been the boogie man for problems in NH for many years, brought to a new level of retard when Sununu put in a bid for the Amazon HQ which attacked the Boston bid (on which they relied) then went back on a campaign promise to say, “Nevermind, we will build commuter rail.” It was the most amateurish proposal for development I’ve ever seen.

57% of NH residents were born out of state. Of those, about one quarter are from MA. And that assumes every MA immigrant is Liberal, while most of the people here who have moved are Libertarian if not Conservative.

The idea of a state monopoly on liquor sales did not come from MA.

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
I can't believe I am saying this... But even Menino was better than Marty Walsh. (he sucks)
Meh. Menino bottlenecked development, then opened the floodgates to everything at the end of his tenure.

He was also unthinkingly anti-gun. Walsh is no particular friend of gun owners, but BPD execution of policies is definately changing for the better. Those policies are not something I’d put out on the forum but we are getting some movement.

As far as schools go, they are still duking it out for worst. Walsh hired Tommy Chang as BPS Superintendent In 2015. He was fired in 2018 and they haven’t even organized a search for a new one. So all those decisions are defaulting to Walsh, and he’s trying to make everyone happy. Instead he’s making everything worse. My last kid in BPS will be out of BLS next year, luckily.

M1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
One of my direct reports is a BLS grad, and I’ve hired two BLS students as summer interns. I’ve been very impressed. I hope BPS doesn’t screw up BLS.

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
One of my direct reports is a BLS grad, and I’ve hired two BLS students as summer interns. I’ve been very impressed. I hope BPS doesn’t screw up BLS.
Here’s the problem. Boston is about 50% white, 6% Asian, and very roughly 15% Black and 15% Hispanic (the rest are small numbers).

BLS is roughly 50% white, 26% Asian, and the rest Black, Hispanic, and Other. BLS is also 57% female and 43% male. A bunch of different groups have lobbied or proposed legislation to change that. Walsh hasn’t done anything useful, other than to mouth platitudes.

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
they should pay people $5 to enter this commie place.
Well, let’s elect you Mayor! Governor! King! That is such a brilliant suggestion. You’re going to do so well here....

What would you propose? Make it harder for Asian girls to get into BLS?
URM parents are going to have to abandon the bussing program.

Top Bottom