• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston.com 'asking about guns in a playmate's home"

NOT owning a firearm makes no sense to me. What parent wouldn't want that tool?
I think you might be surprised to understand what is going through a lot of anti-gunners minds. I am growing more convinced that they are just as, if not more afraid of what they might do with it as they are the kids, criminals or you.

It's the old saying that people accuse everyone else of the evil they hide in their own mind...

When you listen to their "fantasies" as they describe all the horrible things guns will just jump out of the bed side table and do, you hear the mind of a child doodling on paper without the maturity to filter fantasy and reality.

I'd love see the expression on the face of the parent when I'm asked that and my granddaughters are present.

My teen aged granddaughter would look at the parent and say, "yup, I've got three" and my 10 yo granddaughter would say, "and I've got 2 !"

[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

There is, IMO, a radical disconnect between the way most of the folks on this forum think, and the way many Antis, or even just non-gun-owners, think. And not just politically.

My wife offered to a friend the opportunity for her son to go shooting with me (I knew about it) and her friend said, "Oh, no! He'd shoot somebody!"

BTW - the kid is not a mental defective....he smart, and appropriately "with it"....

But with this type of thinking(?) it's not surprising that shooters are considered to be rabid loons....since there is only room for one opinion in the Antis' heads, and it's already been installed, they're not in need of thinking....

I think you might be surprised to understand what is going through a lot of anti-gunners minds. I am growing more convinced that they are just as, if not more afraid of what they might do with it as they are the kids, criminals or you.

It's the old saying that people accuse everyone else of the evil they hide in their own mind...

When you listen to their "fantasies" as they describe all the horrible things guns will just jump out of the bed side table and do, you hear the mind of a child doodling on paper without the maturity to filter fantasy and reality.

This is one of the issues Sarah Thompson points out in the article: "Raging Against Self Defense: A Psychiatrist Examines The Anti-Gun Mentality" (By Sarah Thompson, M.D.).

They fear what they might do with the gun and so assume that everyone else also has those same "feelings" and will be violent homicidal maniac if a gun is placed into other people's hands.

I would have not problem with someone asking me, "Are there guns in the house?" and I think I would be concerned allowing my son over someone's house who took offense to me asking, because why would someone be offended by the question?

1) It's none of your business what I have in my house!
If you feel it's none of my business what is in your house when I am entrusting my most precious poessession (my son) to your care, even for a few hours, we have a problem.

2) There is something "wrong" with having a gun in the house
If you feel there is something "wrong" with having a gun in the house, I'm not sure I want my son over your house anyway.

Besides, if you do have guns in the house, it will give us something to talk about while the kids play.

The first response that comes to mind: "Of course I have guns in my house. And if I catch your little liberal puke hell spawn messing with my safe I will break his fingers."

Of course most of my kids' friends' parents already know I'm a "gun guy" because I advertise home firearm safety classes. If they don't want to have their kids over that's just fine by me. They're loud and the drink all of the koolaid.

The first response that comes to mind: "Of course I have guns in my house. And if I catch your little liberal puke hell spawn messing with my safe I will break his fingers."

Of course most of my kids' friends' parents already know I'm a "gun guy" because I advertise home firearm safety classes. If they don't want to have their kids over that's just fine by me. They're loud and the drink all of the koolaid.

In my experience, it's usually the moonbat parents who have already been drinking the koolaid. [wink]

This is one of the issues Sarah Thompson points out in the article: "Raging Against Self Defense: A Psychiatrist Examines The Anti-Gun Mentality" (By Sarah Thompson, M.D.).

They fear what they might do with the gun and so assume that everyone else also has those same "feelings" and will be violent homicidal maniac if a gun is placed into other people's hands.
Great article. Should be required reading in school...

Echos many of my observations and conclusions that it is the lack of coping mechanisms our schools teach kids (i.e. they ensure they do not learn how to cope with failure, anger, defeat, etc...) that make them unable to deal with "rage" that is perfectly normal in human beings so that either they repress it and live in fear/denial or they lash out at some point and hurt a lot of people (and/or themselves).

Back
Top Bottom