Boston "Assault Weapons Ban" ... n00b content

Legally? NOT if he lives in Boston. ALL ARs and clones thereof are illegal to possess within Boston (as are ALL >10 rd mags for rifle no matter when mfd). ONLY exception is if he got a "AW" permit back in 1989 and kept it current since then (renewal every 5 yrs).

Not that anyone in Boston cares about such restrictions, but this is in the Boston AWB thread after all.

I was answering his question assuming he was wanting to build a new upper for a gun he already had ;)

I was answering his question assuming he was wanting to build a new upper for a gun he already had ;)

Even if he already owned an AR, it would still be illegal. There were only 125 permits issued in 1989 and I'll bet no more than 10 are active today. It also didn't allow you to add to your collection, the permit was much like a NY pistol permit listing guns by S/N. All this said, I'll bet there are close to 1000 AR-15s illegally in the City of Boston (and not by gang bangers, just ordinary Joes).

Even if he already owned an AR, it would still be illegal. There were only 125 permits issued in 1989 and I'll bet no more than 10 are active today. It also didn't allow you to add to your collection, the permit was much like a NY pistol permit listing guns by S/N. All this said, I'll bet there are close to 1000 AR-15s illegally in the City of Boston (and not by gang bangers, just ordinary Joes).

So if you are one of the few with a registered Boston ar15 you can't build a upper?

This feels like flogging the dead horse, but I'm really struggling with the language in the ordinance. It seems that this part of Section 3 negates the previous sections.

The provisions of this act shall not apply to the possession of assault weapons, large capacity magazines, large capacity magazine belts, or other types of magazines or ammunition belts by persons specifically authorized to acquire, have,possess or carry an assault weapon pursuant to federal law.

If I am able to walk into a gun store in Massachusetts and legally purchase a Mass compliant AR15, wouldn't this mean that I am "authorized to acquire, possess or carry...."

Thanks for the feedback.

I guess I am one of those 10,and I would agree on the rest of your statement.

This feels like flogging the dead horse, but I'm really struggling with the language in the ordinance. It seems that this part of Section 3 negates the previous sections.

If I am able to walk into a gun store in Massachusetts and legally purchase a Mass compliant AR15, wouldn't this mean that I am "authorized to acquire, possess or carry...."

Thanks for the feedback.

No this would have to be to allow Federal agents to have them (irrelevant and not useful). The mere fact you pass a NICS check does not give you "federal authority" to carry or possess anything.

I guess I am one of those 10,and I would agree on the rest of your statement.

Yes and IIRC, it was yours that I got to finally see at the Colonel's celebration of life! Thank you. I had merely heard of them prior to that but never saw one.

Now that .22s aren't AWs according to the AG and thus far M&P15-22s haven't failed the baloney feature 'test' would they be legally defensible Boston kosher?

Now that .22s aren't AWs according to the AG and thus far M&P15-22s haven't failed the baloney feature 'test' would they be legally defensible Boston kosher?
It's unlikely to be tested in court, but by the letter of the Boston ban they are still forbidden and it would be at the discretion of the local da.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Ha. That's exactly what I did. Had my CMP forms notarized right in Kenmore square. The notary was completely unfazed when (in response to her questions) I said that the forms were for ordering a rifle.
Mine were notarized at Bank of America in the financial district. Completely unfazed.

I got a Garand in Boston, mailed right to my house. And I still live here with my little Garand!
Had mine held at FedEx in Kenmore because I wouldn't be home to sign for it. It was amusing walking around that area with a rifle [laugh]

Did two different notarizations. MIT Federal Credit Union - one was at Hanscom AFB, lady was like - so you can just mail order guns? The one in Cambridge, she said she shot a rifle once with her step-father. Then it got really quiet... [laugh]

Now I found out one of my co-workers is a notary, and he's Pro 2A, so it's super easy now.

Anyone have any idea as to the legality of a tavor in Boston? it's not named specifically and I don't think it's substantially similar enough to an AR to be banned (it isn't classified as substantially similar in the MA ban)

If it isn't listed in the ordinance it's no problem. Tavors are ok. Generally rifles designed after the ordinance was passed are going to be exempt unless they are clones.

Is it a hi-cap rifle then it's a no go,so I was told by the powers to be in Boston,but like the AG's interpretation.They make the rules as they go along.Well a least we know that the hi-cap mags for the rifle are a no go. It all comes down to one thing if you are found with it,how much money is it going to cost you to prove the rifle is ok to own in Boston.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom