• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boston Area - Where Not To Move?

MAJoe

NES Member
I need to move this fall and looking to stay around Boston. I currently have an unrestricted LTC and want to move to a town where if I'm there long enough to renew, I don't want extra hoops or the possibility of a restriction.

I'm avoiding Boston proper, Watertown, Woburn, Cambridge. Anywhere else around the 128 belt I should not even bother looking? Medford and Malden seem iffy as well?

And before anyone says move west of Worcester or move to NH, not in the cards.

Thanks

Last edited:
Add Brookline to the no-go list. Also remember that Boston is made up of a bunch of smaller cities so their rules apply to: Allston, Brighton, Dorchester, Roxbury, JP, and probably some others that I'm forgetting.

Go to Dedham, Westwood or Norwood....I know people with unrestricted in those towns...

Pretty close to the University train and one other that goes on the other side of Dedham.

Add Brookline to the no-go list. Also remember that Boston is made up of a bunch of smaller cities so their rules apply to: Allston, Brighton, Dorchester, Roxbury, JP, and probably some others that I'm forgetting.

Uh ???

The "where to move" question requires a bit more info - such as where will your primary commute take you and what is the over/under on your commute time tolerance and are you looking to rent or buy?

Westwood has a lot going for it in terms of quality of life, but affordability and availability of rental properties are not strong suits. Norwood has the latter two, but it will be a step down in schools (if that matters to you). Moving further out into Metro-West will get you easier access to any of the companies that within the 495 ring, but you then have to be more careful on neighborhoods within the larger towns like Framingham or Waltham

Northshore is a whole 'nuther animal - you get pretty good access to Boston, faster access to NH and a broad spectrum of rental units at different points along the socioeconomic scale. Southshore (Quincy, Weymouth, Hull, etc.) have attractive areas that can meet your needs, as well.

Dedham will renew your unrestricted LTC with no hassle. They are very professional there.

Really your best bet is to read the red/green town list in this forum (stickied up top) plus look at Comm2A's 2015 licensing stats to see who's issuing unrestricted licenses. If you're interested in a specific town search that thread for people posting about their experiences.

Some of the stories are kind of old, though, and towns do change policy for various reasons. Most that have done so have gone in the direction of being more permissive, however, some have tightened up. (Winchester, I'm looking at you.)

Some towns require "extra stuff" with the application but will issue unrestricted if you jump through all the hoops successfully. YMMV as to how much that annoys you, or how easy it is to assemble the things they want. Letters to the Chief of Police, reference letters, essays, doctor's notes are common extra requirements.

A number of towns won't issue unrestricted to first-time applicants but if you move into town with an unrestricted LTC, they'll renew that way rather than downgrading you. I think Woburn and Waltham are like that. Waltham issues restricted licenses to first-time applicants, but, according to stories I've read here, will lift the restrictions after a year or two.

Don't let a town's demographics and/or general politics fool you. Somerville is Moonbat Central these days--i.e. it's become the "Peoples' Republic" that Cambridge used to be--but in 2015 only 2% of the licenses they issued had restrictions, having greatly loosened up issuance of unrestricted permits a couple of years ago.

There are some discrepancies between Comm2A's data and the anecdotal evidence on NES. F'rinstance, someone in this thread said Dedham was "green" but Comm2A's data indicates that 17% of the licenses they issued in 2015 were restricted. Similarly Arlington has a very "green" reputation on here but according to Comm2A they issued 19% restricted licenses last year. Not sure what to make of that.

I need to move this fall and looking to stay around Boston. I currently have an unrestricted LTC and want to move to a town where if I'm there long enough to renew, I don't want extra hoops or the possibility of a restriction.

I'm avoiding Boston proper, Watertown, Woburn, Cambridge. Anywhere else around the 128 belt I should not even bother looking? Medford and Malden seem iffy as well?

Thanks

What about Winchester or Stoneham ?

What about Winchester or Stoneham ?

Winchester is a definite no-go unless you have some VERY pressing other reasons for living there (schools, family, you inherited a house there, etc.). Comm2A is suing them over their licensing policies (see Batty v. Albertelli).

Sorry for the phrasing, not sure what Boston calls them and figured any reasonable person would understand that there is Boston proper and then the neighboring towns under its control (unlike Cambridge, Somerville, Brookline which are independent of Boston).

Thanks

Malden did not issue a single restricted LTC in 2015.
http://comm2a.org/images/PDFs/ltc_score_card_2015.pdf

Towns to avoid: Watertown, Boston proper, Brookline, Waltham, Cambridge (you can get unrestricted there, but the town is too far gone in terms of moonbats).

Towns to look at: Arlington, Melrose, Needham, Dedham, Wayland. there are many others, but the rea focus should be on the list of towns to avoid.

Sorry for the phrasing, not sure what Boston calls them and figured any reasonable person would understand that there is Boston proper and then the neighboring towns under its control (unlike Cambridge, Somerville, Brookline which are independent of Boston).

I think "neighborhoods" is a more appropriate name for them, because Boston is the "city", not Allston or Brighton, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Your definition of quick is still > 1 hour one way with traffic, right? If not, what's the secret?

It takes you over an hour to get into Boston from Arlington during rush hour?! Are you crawling on all fours when you time yourself?!?

It takes you over an hour to get into Boston from Arlington during rush hour?! Are you crawling on all fours when you time yourself?!?

Yup, northern part of Arlington to Downtown Crossing has been about an hour to an hour fifteen. Tried 93 and Mass ave. Parking at Alewife and taking redline is great in way in, but awful on way back. One late night with no traffic, it only took 17 minutes, sigh...

You sure about Wayland? Comm2A has them issuing 34% restricted licenses last year, making them only slightly better than Cambridge (which issued 37% restricted), and here's a story about someone getting a "Sporting" restriction there.

When compared to places like Watertown and Brookline, absolutely. I also have not seen any stories of Wayland downgrading renewals.

ETA: that story is also from 3 years ago. From reading that thread, it doesn't seem we ever found out what the issue was (i.e. thee person wanting the license screwed up their request, for example).

Last edited:
Yup, northern part of Arlington to Downtown Crossing has been about an hour to an hour fifteen. Tried 93 and Mass ave. Parking at Alewife and taking redline is great in way in, but awful on way back. One late night with no traffic, it only took 17 minutes, sigh...

heh, Arlington to Boston isn't much shorter time-wise than Mansfield to Boston apparently!

Back
Top Bottom