Borrowing across state lines?

My father is a dual resident of both MA and Florida, and has a firearm license in both states. If he wanted to let me borrow a pistol, but he was in FL, would there be any laws preventing him from sending it to me via UPS? I hold an MA license obviously.

Thanks for the quick and succinct reply Len!

ETA: I had only heard about ATF laws that prevent transfer, so I wasn't sure that that included borrowing.

If I can push it a little more... since he is licensed to carry in both states, do you see any problem with him bringing one of his pistols back to MA when he comes to his home in MA, and lending it to me in person?

ETA: At the time of "transfer" he would be an MA resident (staying at his MA apartment) so my thought is it would no longer be across state lines? At least from what I've been able to read on the ATF website, it seems the ATF considers dual state residents to be a resident of whatever state they are currently in provided they legitimately hold a residence in that state.

Last edited:
Could he transfer one to you via FA10? Would that be any different than someone moving from FL to MA and then selling someone a gun private sale???

Fed Law says that ONLY the owner can ship to himself (or a dealer/gunsmith/mfr for repair/mods). He can't ship it to you legally. Also the "ship to yourself" means that only that person can open the package when it arrives at its destination too.

When either of you are visiting the other, he could give it to you as a temporary loan or transfer it to you on an FA-10 form, this assumes that he is a MA Resident (not merely possessing a MA LTC). It's safer for this to be done when he's actually living up in MA.

I go into detail about this area of law in my MA gun laws seminar, but don't have the citations right at hand now.

Thanks Len, my ETA on my above post crossed in cyber-space with your detailed reply.

Again, I really appreciate the feedback. Sounds like I'll just have to be patient and await his return. :)

Your "ETA" is correct.

The borrowing across state lines issue for other than "sporting purposes" is a big unknown. Nobody has asked BATFE Tech Branch to define it. But if he owns it, it can go where he goes and if he lends/transfers in the state he lives in, that is all a non-issue.

Back
Top Bottom