Borrowing a Firearm?

Hey, me again and as I said, expect some noobish question... [grin]

So, I'm going shooting in few days and a friend of mine said he would lend me a couple of his guns to shoot.

I have a LTC A, and just wondered what the legality is of me transporting/shooting a firearm that I do not own. They are of course legally owned by my friend. Just want to make sure I wont spend the weeKend in jail if I were to get pulled over for something.

Now if I read the law correctly, I interpret it as I am fine as I can "posses" a firearm with my LTC A.

Also.... this is one of those gray areas too me... mine is restricted to hunting and target (stupid lame cheif [rolleyes] says because Im new it is restricted... ) so how am I required to transpost them in my SUV?... locked in the furthest part of the vehicle? or within my control?

Thanks [smile]

matt1956 said:
Hey, me again and as I said, expect some noobish question... [grin]

So, I'm going shooting in few days and a friend of mine said he would lend me a couple of his guns to shoot.

I have a LTC A, and just wondered what the legality is of me transporting/shooting a firearm that I do not own. They are of course legally owned by my friend. Just want to make sure I wont spend the weeKend in jail if I were to get pulled over for something.

Now if I read the law correctly, I interpret it as I am fine as I can "posses" a firearm with my LTC A.

Also.... this is one of those gray areas too me... mine is restricted to hunting and target (stupid lame cheif [rolleyes] says because Im new it is restricted... ) so how am I required to transpost them in my SUV?... locked in the furthest part of the vehicle? or within my control?

Thanks [smile]

You can borrow anything as long as you have the proper license for the firearm, and the Class A covers all firearms (cept full auto). I also have an SUV - lock them up in a case (or with a cable lock, trigger lock, etc. in a gun sock or bag) and place them in the back of the SUV.

And, if you are going to leave a gun in your unoccupied vehicle:

-- Unload it, and place it in a:
-- Locked trunk,
-- Locked case,
-- Or some other secure container.

I do not recommend storing a firearm in a glovebox or center console, even if the gun is unloaded and that glovebox or console is locked.

Darius Arbabi

Chris said:
What? And you made me wash your feet, suffer the 40 lashes, and had to spit polish that nickle plated .45. And all I did was for get the 'e' at the end of your name. Boy, Justice really is getting lax in this state.

C'mon... Like YOU weren't the one enjoying the ENTIRE thing!

As Lenny Bruce once said, "In the halls of justice, the only justice is in the halls."

Of as an attorney once advised, "If you want satisfaction, go to a whore; if you want to get screwed, go to court."

Ken

Cross-X said:
And, if you are going to leave a gun in your unoccupied vehicle:

-- Unload it, and place it in a:
-- Locked trunk,
-- Locked case,
-- Or some other secure container.

I do not recommend storing a firearm in a glovebox or center console, even if the gun is unloaded and that glovebox or console is locked.

Darius Arbabi

.... and if it is a rifle, doesn't it have to be in a case even when you are there?

Some troublesome MIS-information here.

Handguns must always be "transported" in a LOCKED CASE or LOCKED TRUNK, outside the reach of driver/passengers. [This assumes "not on you" with a LTC-A/ALP.]

A trigger lock and gun sock is NOT COMPLIANT for "transportation" of a handgun or large capacity long guns.

For SUVs, they acknowledge the lack of a trunk and allow you to store the LOCKED CASE behind the seats.

In MA, a glove box or center console will almost certainly NOT be acceptable even if locked. You will be fighting that one in court, and probably lose. LEOs are "trained" that this is not acceptable.

Low capacity long guns can technically be unloaded and in a gun rack visible from the street. BUT if you do that you are almost certainly going to lose your LTC. Thus, it is recommended that you treat all guns the same, largely becasue the average officer has no idea if s/he is looking at a large capacity or low capacity long gun, thus will detain and hassle you.

So, what about in an open, doorless, trunkless, rear-seatless JEEP or motorcycle. Are bikers forbidden from going trap shooting?

Is a tube-fed .22 considered low capacity?

Back
Top Bottom