Borrow Scope Mounting Tools

Anyone have the Wheeler (or similar) scope mounting set, that'll let me lap my rings, bubble levels, and torque screwdriver?
I'm in Billerica and go into Cambridge every day..
I'd like to borrow it :)
I've got three scopes I need to do (one 30mm, two 1 inch), and can't quite justify buying the tools (yet).

I don't have the lap kit but you can find the kit for under $100 . Order it through Amazon have it by Sat.
Between driving to meet up, gas and traffic your probably at 100$ by then anyway.
Order it tonight work a few extra hours and call it done.
I'm down in Hanover if you want to borrow the wheeler screwdriver.

you piqued my interest and as it turns out, the wheeler kit to do both sizes is only $60 on amazon. I personally only need the one to do 30mm for now, but will be scoping a few of my 22's soon and could stand to use these.

just another tool for the hobby. if i end up getting them, i'll let you know.

what are the typical torque specs for scope ring screws? varying by mfg?

you piqued my interest and as it turns out, the wheeler kit to do both sizes is only $60 on amazon. I personally only need the one to do 30mm for now, but will be scoping a few of my 22's soon and could stand to use these.

Any decent manufacture will have the specs.
Average I have seen is about 20-25 inch pounds for the ring cap screws and any where from 30-65" for mounting screws.
For those thumb nut style I was told by email that those are tight enough by using a quarter in the slot and as tight as you can get it will turning with thumb and index finger.

Which kit were you looking at?
I'm looking at https://smile.amazon.com/Wheeler-Scope-Mounting-Combo-1-Inch/dp/B002PQKGSI for $100.
Lowest it's ever been is $70 - and for $70 I'd pick it up.. But I can't bring myself to spend $100 right now for only three scopes.

I have the Wheeler wrench. I work in Cambridge your welcome to it No bubble levels but you can get the correct torque specs. PM me if you want it

I'm looking at https://smile.amazon.com/Wheeler-Scope-Mounting-Combo-1-Inch/dp/B002PQKGSI for $100.
Lowest it's ever been is $70 - and for $70 I'd pick it up.. But I can't bring myself to spend $100 right now for only three scopes.

If 33$ per set up is more than you paid for rings and 1/3 the cost of your scopes lapping may not have any gain.
Although call a local Smith and see how much to lap rings.
Buy it on sale ....think I found it for 89$ use it then sell it for 50$ someone Wil buy it.

And if you really like the tool, after returning it buy it from Amazon's Warehouse Deals!

im not finding to many good deals as there discount is applied to MSRP i found a damaged scope on the AWD listings that was listed as lightly scratched that was 50$ more than a brand new one listed on egular amazon...
I did find a few ok deals on kids stuff. found a nice bat for my daughter ?

the kit i was looking at wasn't Wheeler...it was generic. it also didn't have the fat wrench,bits or levels. I have a US Optics level that I use to mount on the pic rail when I put a scope on, but for the price of the 'Wheeler' name AND the FAT wrench, I'm considering this purchase. Even though a lot of my milsurps aren't scoped, it'd still be beneficial to have a torque screwdriver for the band/ferrel/action screws. I love/hate how NES is always finding new ways to spend my money, but with over $2500 in glass/rings/mounts alone, I suppose it's time to check to make sure everything is mounted correctly so i'm not damaging any of my scope tubes and getting the accuracy i'm paying for. I admittedly considered lapping to be voodoo until I got into precision shooting...every little bit helps.

and FTR, if I buy the kit (and I probably will because i'm a fiend for tools)...you're welcome to come over and use it sometime. I'm in worcester, so not exactly close...I do most of my basic scope mounting in my basement (using a plumb bob at one end, and my pic level on the rifle in a table vice)...it's low budget, but it gets the job done! i hope you like dogs!

Last edited:
the kit i was looking at wasn't Wheeler...it was generic. it also didn't have the fat wrench,bits or levels. I have a US Optics level that I use to mount on the pic rail when I put a scope on, but for the price of the 'Wheeler' name AND the FAT wrench, I'm considering this purchase. Even though a lot of my milsurps aren't scoped, it'd still be beneficial to have a torque screwdriver for the band/ferrel/action screws. I love/hate how NES is always finding new ways to spend my money, but with over $2500 in glass/rings/mounts alone, I suppose it's time to check to make sure everything is mounted correctly so i'm not damaging any of my scope tubes and getting the accuracy i'm paying for. I admittedly considered lapping to be voodoo until I got into precision shooting...every little bit helps.

and FTR, if I buy the kit (and I probably will because i'm a fiend for tools)...you're welcome to come over and use it sometime. I'm in worcester, so not exactly close...I do most of my basic scope mounting in my basement (using a plumb bob at one end, and my pic level on the rifle in a table vice)...it's low budget, but it gets the job done! i hope you like dogs!

I do like dogs - and Worcester isn't far away from Billerica - just shoot down 495. May have to take you up on the offer!
My previous two scopes, I've just used a couple of keychain levels, and snugged up the screws and called it a day. Now that I have a $900 Vortex scope, I don't want to ruin it (I know, only $900.. baby steps)

I do like dogs - and Worcester isn't far away from Billerica - just shoot down 495. May have to take you up on the offer!
My previous two scopes, I've just used a couple of keychain levels, and snugged up the screws and called it a day. Now that I have a $900 Vortex scope, I don't want to ruin it (I know, only $900.. baby steps)

900! it took me a long time to save the same money(that could be spent on guns) and it was not easy parting with it.

Anyone have the Wheeler (or similar) scope mounting set, that'll let me lap my rings, bubble levels, and torque screwdriver?
I'm in Billerica and go into Cambridge every day..
I'd like to borrow it :)
I've got three scopes I need to do (one 30mm, two 1 inch), and can't quite justify buying the tools (yet).

I've got an older scope ring alignment/lapping kit from Wheeler. I think it's 1", but I'll have to dig it out. I don't have levels or torque wrenches with it though. It has flat ends, not the points, but you can still align with the two butts..
I'm in SE CT, but there is 100 meters outside to run it.

Last edited:
WAiting for the review...

I ended up buying it.
I had previously mounted my scope with my friend who didn't have the lapping bar.
Every time we lightly torqued the rings, the scope would roll in the mount, and wouldn't stay level.

Since using the lapping rod, and doing the torque process again, I had 0 problems with the scope moving as I torqued the rings.

I'm confident in saying that lapping the rings made my life easier. I also imagine that the rings were probably not exactly round, and adding pressure to the scope tube somewhere.

My only complaint, and it's not so much the product's fault, is that it's impossible to find a square magnetic surface on an AR upper for the level...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom