Boron Nitride Bullet Coating

I tried using David Tubb's Boron coating.
The directions calls out to run the bullets through clean corn cob media.
I tried a small batch and the hollow point filled with the media. I cleaned them , and continued.
I just tried walnut, as I thought it was harder and would not fill in the point.
My question is, will this affect the trajectory at all, or should I get a pin and clean them all before I coat them.
Has anyone ever tried this stuff? is it worth it?
Mostly, do I need to clean the media out of 500 bullets?
Thanks, Mike
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq3iAoDz3jI

Two questions Jason. Do you do either of your suggested methods ? Do I need to clean out my bullets before I shoot em? Also you know my shooting average :)

I'm pulling your chain. [grin]

You don't need any magic bullet coatings. I wouldn't worry about the tips.

Two questions Jason.
Do you do either of your suggested methods ?
Do I need to clean out my bullets before I shoot em?

Crap stuck in the point of the bullet won't make any difference from a drag or airflow perspective. The hollow point is an artifact of the manufacturing process, not part of the aerodynamics.

I'd guess the weight difference is negligible compared to the differences in weight between one bullet and the next.

So, if it were my bullets, I'd not worry about it.

Looks like my edit was too slow. I really just skimmed article in the link.
it just looked like a powder trickler until I read it.

See you after vacation.

Last edited:
Get 20/40 corn.
Is this another "miracle" coating like MoS2?
BN is great for guns, but for bullets?

Mike, next time you're at Reading ask Bob about the time he forgot his short-line ammo and had to make some field expedient modifications to fit his 600 yard ammo into the mag for rapids. You'll never worry about the tips again.

If I recall boron nitride is the last thing I'd want to coat my bullets . Another name for boron nitride is Borozon a compound only slightly less harder than diamond.

I

Back
Top Bottom