• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bore Snakes

I have a couple of them... To be honest, I prefer to clean in a regular manner (brushes and patches) then pass the boresnake through the barrel one time to finish things off. I'll tell you, it puts a mirror like shine in the bore.

I know folks who use them for regular cleaning.. I couldn't imagine having to wash it that often to get all the crud out, and I can imagine that the brush part of the snake would be worn down real quick. Plus, I like leaving the solvent (M-Pro7 in my case) to sit in the bore for a little while after brushing it.

Adam

I have one for every caliber that I have. I think they work good. I still use regular brush and patch for deep cleaning and hard to reach placed inside the gun, but the snake will keep your bore happy.

I find that the best use of a boresnake is at the range after you are finished shooting. Pull it through once or twice and it gets rid of a lot of crud while it is still warm and soft.

FPrice said:
I find that the best use of a boresnake is at the range after you are finished shooting. Pull it through once or twice and it gets rid of a lot of crud while it is still warm and soft.
\

Yep, I have them and that's about the only time that I use mine...is at the Range.

But some I've had for about 8 or 9 years. And they still work great.

I also bought them this Spring for all calibers of handgun. Handy for a quick cleaning, especially for .22 pistols where we just don't break the gun every time we shoot it (most target shooters I knew when I was competing back in 1978 almost never cleaned their .22 pistols).

I still strip down my CF pistols and clean them thoroughly almost every time I shoot them.

They have their place and I think that they are well worth possessing.

Bore Snkaes probably have their place, however, I just can't justify the cost to buy one for every cal. when there is other options available.

As to LenS' comment, a note to all - The most damage to a smallbore barrel occurs during the first couple of shots. This is exacerbated exponentionlly if the barrel has not been cleaned. The dry powder residue will act like a sandblaster as the bullet travels down the barrel and grinds the residue across and into the lands and grooves. This may not be all that important to grandpappy's squirel rifle, but for any target barrel it means a lot.

I used to be just as guilty until I learned this causes the greatest erosion.

As to LenS' comment, a note to all - The most damage to a smallbore barrel occurs during the first couple of shots. This is exacerbated exponentionlly if the barrel has not been cleaned.

This supports the purchase of a Bore Snake for your smallbore rifles. A quick pass or two will remove most of that residue and help prolong the (accurate) life of your barrel.

Yes, too bad that they didn't have these things back in the 1970s. Back in those days I learned how to shoot from serious pistol target shooters at Sharon F&G. So, I also worked the line for some matches so that I could watch the experts.

Ironically, there were always many alibis (misfires, raise hand and wait for RO to come over and help you clear it, then they give you a chance to fire the rds you didn't get a chance to fire). Largely I found that the shooters (back then) were using S&W 41s and bragged about never cleaning their .22s!

I think Tony is "on point" here and these bore snakes may have been enough to save the day if they existed (they didn't) and were used. I haven't been to a pistol match since 1978, so no idea if "life is better today" or not.

I own 2 High Standard .22s (original company, both made in 1960s) and they are brutal to take down to clean. It requires a hammer and brass rod to release barrel forcefully so it can be properly cleaned. They certainly were NOT mfd with a mind to taking them down for each time you shot them. In contrast every CF pistol/revolver is a piece of cake to clean (even the old ones I've owned).

The overall message is that EVERY gun needs to be kept clean and lubricated to guarantee the best functionality and least damage to the gun (or accuracy of same).

I have them for most calibers I shoot. They are great for a quick cleaning at the range. Or if I know I won't be able to clean one for a couple of days I'll do a couple of passes with a bore snake with a few drops of CLP on it.

I won't use it in the match rifle though.

I've just been very particular how I clean it. I primarily just use patches solvent & oil. I don't use the bore brush very often. Also, I don't want to take a chance on pulling a particle of something that may be caught on the snake through the bore.

CD

Also, I don't want to take a chance on pulling a particle of something that may be caught on the snake through the bore.

It seems to me that you would be taking that chance no matter what method you use. And I can't think of too many things which would be hard enough to cause damage to your barrel that you would not see (I also use a bore light to check the bore after I unload my firearm and before I use whatever cleaning method I will be employing). But I can't fault you for wanting to take extra care of a match barrel.

FPrice said:
It seems to me that you would be taking that chance no matter what method you use.

I agree with you. I just worry a little more with the bore snake since something can get caught up in the fabric before it gets pulled through the barrel. (i.e. metal filing from the garage, etc.) My preference is to use a coated rod & a patch. Patches are in a bag until I use them so they're unlikely to have any debris on them & the rod can be wiped off between passes to prevent any carry over.

CD

LenS - I have a very old High Standard .22 short match pistol passed to me from my father. Still have to go up and get it.

I think most people (me included) didn't clean the smallbores because of exactly what LenS stated, PITA to break down.

You other guys - I don't own or use a Bore Snake...I use a Redneck Boresnake (my naming, not my idea). It solves all the aforementioned problems. Once I decide what to do with the design, I might let you know what it actually is. [wink]

Tony, a HS Olympic? Lots of folks here used to own them for the International/Olympic matches.

For those concerned, here's a maybe idea for a do-it-yourself deal like the boresnake. I have no info on what Tony is thinking, so it may/may not be the same thing, but I'm not into patenting things so here goes:

- Make a look-alike to the boresnake but end with either a screw-in jag (that you can punch a patch and put it between threads and jag for a 1x thru device, or a slotted jag to use patches in. NOT as good as the wire brush embedded in the cloth, but might work for those that are worried about contamination.

LenS said:
Tony, a HS Olympic? Lots of folks here used to own them for the International/Olympic matches.

Honestly, it's been so long, I'm not sure. Dad's had as far back as I can remember - about 35 years I know of. Probably hasn't been shot in 30. I remember it being .22 short only, target grips and a scope. Like I said, have to get up there to retrieve it and few other 'items'.

Back
Top Bottom