Border Patrol checkpoint I-93 in New Hampshire...........

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
coworker says she was stopped by the border patrol, they had a checkpoint set up near the Flume in the White Mountains- checked out her car- 6 White kids, early 20's- and asked to inspect the trunk, too, as well as the usual questions about importing fruit, etc-of course, they hadn't been anywhere near Canada.

Anyone else run into them this weekend?

N.E. CHARTERS

Banned
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!

Were they Looking for Al Kaider or A.B. Normal ?
Just might be that there is some Legitamite cell activity that we Joe Public are just not aware of. Maybe they are on the lookut for a suspect or a One Armed Man?

I could not belive the Boarder Patrol Checkpoint between San Diego and LA going North on Rt 5.

Just a Matter of time before they put Border Checkpoints (Hey Great Place for Toll Booths!) at every highyway between every State. Just gate off all secondary roads.

I can just see it now. East from California: Do you have any Fruits or Nuts in your car... well... just the hitchickers I picked up in Hollywierd Officer...

Lets see maybe a big concreat wall between , nah never happen...

PS They are making Special provisions if you want to join Border Patrol in New England. No nonger do you have to serve in Brownsville Texas for many years . Now its just 6 months on the Mexico boarder and then off to The Caniaden boarder. Good Deal.

The only Border Patrol I have seen in Maine was two guys siting in a Potato field in Aroostock making sure thoe New Brunswick Potatos never swam across the river.

Last edited:

doobie

Banned
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
They were doing them last week too.... 93-S around exit 31/32. I wouldn't be very cooperative with them as they are out of their league. They are BORDER patrol.

"Am I under arrest?"
"Do you have a warrant?"
"Am I being detained?"
"Am I free to go?"
"I think I'll be calling my lawyer."

Should get you out of whatever.

doobie

Banned
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Of course makes me almost want to drive up/down 93 with my AR-15s, Lee-Enfield in the back seat...and uncovered.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Of course makes me almost want to drive up/down 93 with my AR-15s, Lee-Enfield in the back seat...and uncovered.

That was my thought. Nothing illegal about it, let'em either freak or ignore it.

May I search the trunk?

f*** you, er....no. No you may not.

What do you need those guns for?

Am I free to go or am I being detained?

doobie

Banned
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
That was my thought. Nothing illegal about it, let'em either freak or ignore it.

May I search the trunk?

f*** you, er....no. No you may not.

What do you need those guns for?

Am I free to go or am I being detained?
Yeah, someone else said I may not have time to say anything that if they see firearms, legal or not they might all surround the car with their M16s and force me out of the car deeming me a threat without asking questions, and that they would probably win any lawsuit that I started....

They suggested doing it unarmed....but I figured they weren't stopping everyone and the goal was to get stopped.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
coworker says she was stopped by the border patrol, they had a checkpoint set up near the Flume in the White Mountains- checked out her car- 6 White kids, early 20's- and asked to inspect the trunk, too, as well as the usual questions about importing fruit, etc-of course, they hadn't been anywhere near Canada.

Anyone else run into them this weekend?
I was going to start a thread on this myself ...

My girlfriend and I spent the long weekend at my buddy's cabin in Pittsburgh NH and hit that checkpoint around 1:00 PM Monday on the way back.

I was pretty pissed off that there was a border patrol checkpoint 75 or so miles south of the border. In fact, I told my girlfriend that if we were stopped, not to show her ID since I was going to refuse as well.

She's more of a go-along to get-along type of person but I was adamant. We were not going to show IDs or answer questions whatsoever. She thought I was nuts.

doobie

Banned
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I was going to start a thread on this myself ...

My girlfriend and I spent the long weekend at my buddy's cabin in Pittsburgh NH and hit that checkpoint around 1:00 PM Monday on the way back.

I was pretty pissed off that there was a border patrol checkpoint 75 or so miles south of the border. In fact, I told my girlfriend that if we were stopped, not to show her ID since I was going to refuse as well.

She's more of a go-along to get-along type of person but I was adamant. We were not going to show IDs or answer questions whatsoever. She thought I was nuts.
Did you get any idea on who they were/weren't stopping?

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Yeah a checkpoint 75 miles INSIDE the border is really smart, as if there was no place to get off the highway inside of that distance. [rolleyes]

-Mike

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I came across one of those driving back home from Franconia Notch just over a year ago.

Every car on I-93 southbound was being stopped.

As a permanent resident I provided proof of lawful residence (my green card), my wife answered that "yes she was a US citizen", and then we went on our way.

They either didn't notice or didn't care that I was open carrying a handgun.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is a great idea....go out looking for trouble and it will find you. Regardless of what they are doing and if it is legally or morally acceptable you are looking for trouble.

Sometimes even if you win you lose![rolleyes]

doobie

Banned
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
That is a great idea....go out looking for trouble and it will find you. Regardless of what they are doing and if it is legally or morally acceptable you are looking for trouble.

Sometimes even if you win you lose![rolleyes]
With gas prices I'm not about to try to track them down.... if they do stop me though I will not be very cooperative to them though.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do the BCP have the power of arrest outside the border?

Let's take my example. I am a Naturalized US citizen, but those who know me know I still have a very British sounding accent. I obviously don't take my passport when I travel around the US (and the Lincoln area is a part of NH I visit frequently). Could one of these BCP officers detain me since I didn't have a passport?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were doing them last week too.... 93-S around exit 31/32. I wouldn't be very cooperative with them as they are out of their league. They are BORDER patrol.

"Am I under arrest?"
"Do you have a warrant?"
"Am I being detained?"
"Am I free to go?"
"I think I'll be calling my lawyer."

Should get you out of whatever.
Well, as one of those guys who was "out of his league" when I spent a decade with the Border Patrol I find your post quite amusing. Maybe you need to bone up on your study of law before you recommend to people not to cooperate. If someone so chooses, then hey, do what you feel you have to do. But do so knowledgeably.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=428&invol=543

How I would have answered your questions:
1) No.
2) Don't need one.
3) Yes.
4) Not until you answer my questions.
5) Fair enough. Please pull your vehicle over there.

Actually, once you started down that road I would have had you pull over immediately if I was the primary. Secondary officers can spend more time with people. Primary should keep traffic moving. Anything complicated should be referred quickly.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the BCP have the power of arrest outside the border?

Let's take my example. I am a Naturalized US citizen, but those who know me know I still have a very British sounding accent. I obviously don't take my passport when I travel around the US (and the Lincoln area is a part of NH I visit frequently). Could one of these BCP officers detain me since I didn't have a passport?
CBP at the airport cannot arrest away from the airport as they don't currently have general arrest authority. Border Patrol can arrest anywhere within the US, Puerto Rico, Guam, etc.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, as one of those guys who was "out of his league" when I spent a decade with the Border Patrol I find your post quite amusing. Maybe you need to bone up on your study of law before you recommend to people not to cooperate. If someone so chooses, then hey, do what you feel you have to do. But do so knowledgeably.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=428&invol=543

How I would have answered your questions:
1) No.
2) Don't need one.
3) Yes.
4) Not until you answer my questions.
5) Fair enough. Please pull your vehicle over there.

Actually, once you started down that road I would have had you pull over immediately if I was the primary. Secondary officers can spend more time with people. Primary should keep traffic moving. Anything complicated should be referred quickly.
how is random checkpoint on 93 the same as a permanant checkpoint on the Mexican border as explicitly described in your link?

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
For the past few years I have read many threads regarding our immigration policies and how f***ked up they are. There seems to be almost universal agreement that something has to be done to stem the flow of illegal immigrants into this country. The Canadian-US Border, some three thousand miles long, is the longest unprotected border in the world. There have been many critics in the LEO world and national security world who have repeatedly pointed out that our focus has been almost exclusively on our southern border. So now, they are setting up border checkpoints in the north, well within the interior as is frequently the way it is done in California, Arizona and Texas and this is upsetting people.

I find it interesting that many of those who want to challenge authority want a gun present. What's this about? You can't just be mouthy, you have to have your trusty Winchester or whatever on the back seat of the car, too?

So what is it that you want?

If I were a Border Patrol Agent, and I encountered someone with attitude, you can damn well bet you'd get a ration of sh**t from me because that's human nature. You are going to get what you give. It's that simple.

If you think Border Checkpoints are stupid, or violate your sense of personal freedom or are ineffective, then why not voice your opinions to the people who promulgate these policies, rather than make bold assertions on an internet forum? Remember the poor schmuck who is actually running the checkpoint is there because he or she was ordered to do so, and after a few hours of stopping cars, the feet get a little sore, the bladder starts to expand, the last thing a Border Patrol Agent is going to want is to deal with is some self-appointed civil rights AND border security expert who is going to tell him or her just what a crock this whole check point deal is. See how far it gets you....and for what?

If you don't like the system, then work to change it, and being an asshat at a checkpoint isn't going to change a damn thing.

Mark L.

Last edited:

JonJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Yeah a checkpoint 75 miles INSIDE the border is really smart, as if there was no place to get off the highway inside of that distance. [rolleyes]

-Mike
They should have set up in downtown Framingham, Plymouth, Hyannis (insert other MA city/town here) in front of the local Casa Brazil!

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Were they Looking for Al Kaider or A.B. Normal ?
Just might be that there is some Legitamite cell activity that we Joe Public are just not aware of. Maybe they are on the lookut for a suspect or a One Armed Man?

I could not belive the Boarder Patrol Checkpoint between San Diego and LA going North on Rt 5.

Just a Matter of time before they put Border Checkpoints (Hey Great Place for Toll Booths!) at every highyway between every State. Just gate off all secondary roads.

I can just see it now. East from California: Do you have any Fruits or Nuts in your car... well... just the hitchickers I picked up in Hollywierd Officer...

Lets see maybe a big concreat wall between , nah never happen...

PS They are making Special provisions if you want to join Border Patrol in New England. No nonger do you have to serve in Brownsville Texas for many years . Now its just 6 months on the Mexico boarder and then off to The Caniaden boarder. Good Deal.

The only Border Patrol I have seen in Maine was two guys siting in a Potato field in Aroostock making sure thoe New Brunswick Potatos never swam across the river.
After reading your posts, I now need to ask: what is your major malfunction?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past few years I have read many threads regarding our immigration policies and how f***ked up they are. There seems to be almost universal agreement that something has to be done to stem the flow of illegal immigrants into this country. The Canadian-US Border, some three thousand miles long, is the longest unprotected border in the world. There have been many critics in the LEO world and national security world who have repeatedly pointed out that our focus has been almost exclusively on our southern border. So now, they are setting up border checkpoints in the north, well within the interior as is frequently the way it is done in California, Arizona and Texas and this is upsetting people.

I find it interesting that many of those who want to challenge authority want a gun present. What's this about? You can't just be mouthy, you have to have your trusty Winchester or whatever on the back seat of the car, too?

So what is it that you want?

If I were a Border Patrol Agent, and I encountered someone with attitude, you can damn well bet you'd get a ration of sh**t from me because that's human nature. You are going to get what you give. It's that simple.

If you think Border Checkpoints are stupid, or violate your sense of personal freedom or are ineffective, then why not voice your opinions to the people who promulgate these policies, rather than make bold asserations on an internet forum? Remember the poor schmuck who is actually running the checkpoint is there because he or she was ordered to do so, and after a few hours of stopping cars, the feet get a little sore, the bladder starts to expand, the last thing a Border Patrol Agent is going to want is to deal with is some self-appointed civil rights AND border security expert who is going to tell him or her just what a crock this whole check point deal is. See how far it gets you....and for what?

If you don't like the system, then work to change it, and being an asshat at a checkpoint isn't going to change a damn thing.

Mark L.
Bravo.

"Approach begets response."

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I don't know why that border patrol check point at the Flume bothers people so much. I've been stopped there at least 10 times.

My favorite one was when the N.H. State Police blocked off the hwy. and made every one drive through the rest area there at the flume.

They didn't stop one car, just looked real close at you and that was it. I pulled over into the rest area and watched. Sure enough what they were looking for came down the hwy.

Two full buses. They made every one get off of them and kept almost all of them. They had 3 large govt. buses full of people by the time I left.

The buses were not from Canada they were just regular buses that travel up and down 93 stopping at small towns off of 93.

Evidently they make their way over the border and catch the bus south and the best place for the border patrol to catch them from all those small towns is at that narrow gap on 93s at the flume.

The way I look at it is, my inconvince is a small price to pay to help the government keep illegal immigrants out of the country.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I don't know why that border patrol check point at the Flume bothers people so much. I've been stopped there at least 10 times.

The way I look at it is, my inconvince is a small price to pay to help the government keep illegal immigrants out of the country.
Having a checkpoint within the borders is not only an inconvenience, it's an affront to our God-given rights as citizens of the United States. Showing one's papers to secure passage might be OK in the former Soviet Union or some third-world backwater but it's not OK here.

To add insult to injury, this check was being done on Memorial Day. As a veteran (USN 88-92), this is insulting.

If the government was truly interested in keeping illegal immigrants out of the country they would protect our borders, not have some half-assed temporary checkpoint set up on a major highway 75 or 80 miles from the border.

M1911

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
They should have set up in downtown Framingham, Plymouth, Hyannis (insert other MA city/town here) in front of the local Casa Brazil!
A fellow I know is a ICE (nee INS) agent. He told me that back when they were INS, they spent a week tracking down fugitives in a community north of Boston. They brought their mobile command-post and parked it out front of the police department in one of the cities north of Boston (Lawrence, IIRC). The command-post was a trailer with INS emblazoned on the side.

They weren't working in Lawrence, but that didn't matter. The word went out in hours that INS was in town. Dozens of store fronts closed down. The crime rate in Lawrence dropped precipitously. After a couple days of this, the local cops were asking the INS guys if they were going to stay for a while -- they loved it because the city was far safer than before.

One of the biggest improvements ICE has made recently is that the agents now have laptops with a fingerprint scanner. When they have a suspected illegal, they will scan their fingerprints and compare it against the database of illegals who have been ordered out of the country but then skipped on their bail. He's gotten dozens of these folks who have deport orders on them. They go straight to jail with an express lane to deportation.

They still have a huge mountain to climb, but they're doing better than they were a few years ago.

dsm

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Having a checkpoint within the borders is not only an inconvenience, it's an affront to our God-given rights as citizens of the United States. Showing one's papers to secure passage might be OK in the former Soviet Union or some third-world backwater but it's not OK here.

To add insult to injury, this check was being done on Memorial Day. As a veteran (USN 88-92), this is insulting.

If the government was truly interested in keeping illegal immigrants out of the country they would protect our borders, not have some half-assed temporary checkpoint set up on a major highway 75 or 80 miles from the border.
Thank you for saying it.

I am again amazed at how people who say they will stand for the second amendment will roll over for violations of the fourth or fifth amendments. Also in this case, the right implied in the Constitution of freedom of movement.

"Freedom of movement is basic in our scheme of values. Our nation, wrote Chafee, has thrived on the principle that, outside areas of plainly harmful conduct, every American is left to shape his own life as he thinks best, do what he pleases, go where he pleases." - Justice William Douglas
I got that from http://youtube.com/user/CheckpointUSA -- check out the videos there.

I will admit that I am not certain if I do or don't quite have the balls that guy has, but I am sure glad that he does. I have decided though, that I will never again answer the questions "where are you going" or "where are you coming from". I won't be disrespectful or hostile, but I will not answer.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where do you think they go once they make it past the border? As a veteran you should know that one of the most successful tactics is to attack once someone's guard is down. The illegals are on high alert when crossing the border. Once they get into the interior their guard lowers a bit. They think the danger has passed and they can relax. They get sloppy.

As for "showing papers," that is incorrect. You state citizenship. That's all.

"Of what country are you a citizen, sir?"
"United States."

If there's no accent and no other suspicions (drugs, weapons, etc.) then that's it. ID checks are not citizenship documents, because you don't need to be a citizen to get a driver's license.

No papers.

And BP checkpoints are within 100 miles of the border only.

Top Bottom