Boot Knives

enbloc

Life Member Emeritus
NES Life Member
NES Member
Who carries on their Boot? What, Why and How Long?

My current boot carry is an ESEE Izula in Dark Earth.

TIK-IZULA-DE.jpg

Specifications:
  • Overall Length: 6.25″
  • Blade Length: 2.875″
  • Blade Thickness: 0.16″
  • Sheath: Molded Polymer
  • Weight: 1.90 oz.
  • Made in the USA!

Wanted a lighter boot knife and something other than a leather sheath due to constant maintenance on the sheath through 25 years of daily carry. Blade was a stainless steel diver's type dagger with the 5-hole handle. Very flat, very tough and very heavy compared to my new Izula.

I've had this as my daily boot-carry for about 2 weeks now and have 0 complaints.
Love the ESEE sheath system too.

ESEE IZULA Dark Earth.JPG

Last edited:
Old boot knife was very close to this except no serrations.
Also, sheath had a Bianchi-style thumb break on the left,
and was much better made than this example.
7888a92c2d5cb53ac7e7fcff72e982f5.jpg

Last edited:

(excerpt from: Know Your Knife Laws: Massachusetts)
Banned Knives In Massachusetts
There aren’t any. When it comes to edged weapons you can own whatever you want; you just can’t necessarily carry it.

Lol. I was carrying that pig-sticker before I ever heard of the Internet...

Last edited:
Thanks 2bear, Looks like a nice rig and excellent blade.
~Matt

iu

In these uncertain times.

When you want to EDC a fixed blade... Why not Boot-carry...?

Last edited:
I love the padded top on Timberland PRO 6# Direct Attach workboot for a "Never-Move" grip on a boot knife's sheath clip...
13:50 (post #9) for a review on ESEE Candiru boot carry, which holds your boot knife like a Titanium bear trap.

1606073093637.png1606073531059.png

I cannot recommend the ESSE Izula or Candiru 'skeletonized' knife for boot carry any higher. (Izula in my case.)
Any lighter, and you'll forget you have it. On the plus side, it's not a dagger and can be used on many, many common knife-work chores...

This photo shows (from top-down) the Izula with scales; the bare Izula; and the Candiru...

1606074000597.png

I like mine with the TKC Extended G10 scales, and is still extremely light. and comes in many colors and patterns...
Handles - ESEE Handles - ESEE Izula - Extended - The Knife Connection

1606074288611.png
1606074373963.png

Last edited:
I used to have a Gerber Mark1 back then when I had Engineer boots and motorcycles. I wish I still had it. I think mine was serrated on the top 1/4.View attachment 414118
I had that same one but I think the blade was black. Carried it for years but it fell off during a woods hike and was never seen again. They go for good money now.

I keep thinking that also. They just sit in a box.
Get a "Shot Glass display case" most pocket knives will fit corner-to-corner and it's easy to grab one for your pocket as you're going out the door...

1606610172754.png

Anyone have any experience with the Bradford G-Necker? Elmax for well under $100 from a maker with a decent reputation is tempting me...

1606612339517.jpeg

None. But it reviews very well...

Verified Purchase
If you’re a neck knife guy stop reading now and go hit the buy button.
I’ve got 3 Bradford Guardian 3’s and carry one with me everyday for years. Buying this was a no brainer. I’ve got many neck knives(CRKT minimalist, Cold Steel mini tac, Spyderco ARK, Mora eldris) but this one is absolutely the best. They hit the total Goldilocks zone of not to big not to small. This is a fully capable blade in an amazing steel, a very nice retention Kydex sheath, and the one pice construction is perfect for food prep.
The only addition I made is putting on a ball chain instead of the paracord it comes with. But that’s mostly just a personal choice.

1606612849501.png1606612917493.png

ESEE Candiru reviews well also...
Lifetime "No Questions Asked" warranty for $47... That can easily convert to a boot knife and back again to neck-knife.
1606613120507.png
1606613646777.png

Many, many more options for the Candiru...
Like changing up and adding scales...
1606614077618.png

Very nice for a paracord wrap too...

Last edited:
Youtube vid review if you haven't been over there yet...

I do like its fatty skeletonized handle though...

To be balanced, I found this also...

Perfect Design, Poor Execution

Matthew C.
04-13-2020
I received my Bradford G-Necker today. The design is fantastic. It is "just enough" for a neck knife. The thickness left in the handle section provides a solid purchase on the knife. Elmax is a great steel choice. I own several neck knives - searching for what works best for me. The design of this knife wins hands down so far in my searches.

But... the blade arrived barely sharp with the grind depth being very shallow on one side; not matched at all. I will need to re-profile the blade with my Darex Work Sharp to then put a good edge on it. I should not have to re-profile a knife edge at this price point or from a company with Bradford's rep. I will remove the Bradford's on my wish list due to this experience.

Disappointing.

I don't know anything about "ELMAX" steel, or how hard it is to maintain an edge...

I saw that review. Disappointing, but I’ll take a chance on it just being a bad one sneaking through (or one having been returned and resold). You shouldn’t have to, but you can always sharpen it.

I don’t have any experience with elmax but people seem to gush over it.

Back
Top Bottom