• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Book Review: Hide Your Guns

Hide Your Guns by Sam Adams talks about how you can hide, stash or cache your valuables, emergency supplies and firearms. Its format is far from that of a book: it's a large font, 8 1/2" x 11", 76-page manual, the "meat" of it only being ~ 70 pages. If you remove the pictures (several of them not all that valuable or useful) and reduce the font the manual becomes more like a white paper with much fewer pages. Nevertheless, the author does relate several important and useful ideas, suggestions and steps to safeguard your most important valuables (including cash, jewelery, heirlooms, etc). There isn't a lot of "fluff" in this manual and the author is succinct and to the point with his writing.

The scope of the book discusses much more than caching. There are good sections in there on home security (hardening your home), how to create hiding places inside your home, types of caches and its contents, caching supplies and preparation, how to select a caching location, how metal detectors work and more. But the actual end-to-end, step-by-step process of burying your cache is just not there, making for a slightly misleading "book" title. Perhaps the author should have chosen another, more accurate title such as Protecting Your Valuables although the author does state that the goal of the manual is to provide you with the information you need to put together a _plan_ for hiding your weapons and valuables from anyone who would want to steal them from you.

My main criticism of the book is how it abruptly ends its caching procedure after discussing the ideal caching tool: after that there is no follow-through about how to dig, how to bury your cache, how to seal/close the cache location, etc. It's as if the author stopped writing and intentionally left out the remaining steps. The other disappointment is that the vast majority of photos add little contextual value/support to the narrative and give the impression that their inclusion is merely to fill white space on the pages. The book does have various 2nd amendment related historical quotes scattered throughout.

So is it worth the $60 ($50 + $10 s/h)? You do get 4 free bonuses with your order: (2) audio CDs of the book; (2) audio CDs of The Great Gun Debate: How To Argue with a Liberal About Guns and Win Every Time, a 16-page e-book titled The No B.S. Home Defense with Firearms, and a DVD on The Real Story Behind the Second Amendment (all of which I haven't listened to/watched yet). Taking into consideration the content in the manual and including the freebies I'd say it's only slightly overpriced. I will be reading Modern Weapons Caching by Ragnar Benson (1990, Paladin Press, 97 pg) to see how the two compare.

You seem very generous. $60 for a 70 page large print book sounds very over priced to me. Never mind any extras. I suppose if he came up with some ultra clever hiding spot that on one else would ever think of it might be worth if, but that's a real big if.

Come to think of it, the fact that the ultra clever hiding spot is printed in a book available on the web I would think greatly negates it's usefulness.

Last edited:
the better business bureau scores him a F, apparently his real name is "Bill Heid" and hes got a ton of complaints going about him

did a google search and found a long nasty thread about him here ==> http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=91548

take it for what its worth but i take a dim view of anyone impersonating a veteran, nevermind a supposed "SEAL"

Just finished watching the DVD (The Real Story Behind the Second Amendment): it's a < 10 min. lecture from John Eidsmoe...looks like it's an excerpt from a longer video series he put together...the duration is hardly worth the cost to produce the DVD and jewel case.

Back
Top Bottom