• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bonded warehouse / injunction?

So I've read here about how some police departments stall and ignore the law until such time as they can turn over firearms to Village Vault and thereby effectively confiscate them.

Aside from the cost associated with filing an action, what argues against asking a court to compel police to follow the law?

PS: I am aware of the recent Comm2a lawsuit, and just signed up to be a monthly contributor ...

Last edited:
So I've read here about how some police departments stall and ignore the law until such time as they can turn over firearms to Village Vault and thereby effectively confiscate them.

Aside from the cost associated with filing an action, what argues against asking a court to compel police to follow the law?

PS: I am aware of the recent Comm2a lawsuit, and just signed up to be a monthly contributor ...
Would just seem a lot easier to just not comply and take the 5th?

Another thing I've wondered about: I know that they show up with a list of all your Massachusetts registered firearms and expect you to hand them over, but what if you move into the state and therefor never had to register any. How do they know what to ask for? Very easy to discover the first purchaser from the serial number, but the "list of all the guns that Bob has" is something much harder to come by, I thought.

Another thing I've wondered about: I know that they show up with a list of all your Massachusetts registered firearms and expect you to hand them over, but what if you move into the state and therefor never had to register any. How do they know what to ask for? Very easy to discover the first purchaser from the serial number, but the "list of all the guns that Bob has" is something much harder to come by, I thought.

They don't, thats the great thing about living in a free state.

They don't, thats the great thing about living in a free state.

This is an old story but here are the highlights..

When Mass police confiscate Mass peoples weapons they secure them at their police station and have a responsibility to keep then safe and secure in their property locker.

This takes up space at the police station and they are libel for loss or damage.

Village vault is a business own by a gun owner who has a bonded storage facility for weapons.

Village vault has contacted all the mass police stations and offered (for free) to take the confiscated weapons from their facilities and store them in his bonded facility and will assume al liability for the security of the weapons.

The police get off the hook for storing the weapons and the liability of having them.

Village Vault then charges the owners a fee to take the guns in, a daily storage weapon fee and fees to process them out. If you miss your monthly storage payment on your bill he seizes the weapons and "auctions" the off to himself ..... all quite legal.

What happens here most of the times is that the compounded accrued storage fees usually exceed the value of the weapons. The actual owner of the guns soon has a storage bill that soon exceeds the value of the gun and the owner figure it will cost more to buy a new one than to bail his property out. Vault then "gets" them for free for the "cost" he charges the gun owner. ( he actually has a gun shop...I wonder where he sells they weapons he got from his auction??

Nice way to acquire a free inventory!)

Nice and legal and a real friend of Ma gun owners!

Last edited:
This is an old story but here are the highlights..

When Mass police confiscate Mass peoples weapons they secure them at their police station and have a responsibility to keep then safe and secure in their property locker.

This takes up space at the police station and they are libel for loss or damage.

Village vault is a business own by a gun owner who has a bonded storage facility for weapons.

Village vault has contacted all the mass police stations and offered (for free) to take the confiscated weapons from their facilities and store them in his bonded facility and will assume al liability for the security of the weapons.

The police get of the hook for storing the weapons and the liability of having them.

Village Vault then charges the owners a fee to take the guns in, a daily storage weapon fee and fees to process them out. If you miss your monthly storage payment on your bill he seizes the weapons and "auctions" the off to himself ..... all quite legal.

What happens I here most of the times is that the compounded accrued storage fees usually exceed the value of the weapons and he
"get" them for free ( he actually has a gun shop...I wonder where he sells they weapons he got from his auction?? Nice way to acquire a free inventory!)

Nice and legal and a real friend of Ma gun owners!
So if you are talking about a real person not a hypothetical one, why hasn't this prick been outed. His face should be online everywhere so no one will do business with him.

So if you are talking about a real person not a hypothetical one, why hasn't this prick been outed. His face should be online everywhere so no one will do business with him.
His name is Dowd. His shop is on the west bound side of route 9 in Northboro, a little past Walmart. It used to be the Village Gun Shop when it was a normal LGS, but it sucked then, too. Made the Gun Room seem friendly.

Last edited:

.. some insight on the company and the owner

Guns Wanted
We Buy...
Colts - Old Rifles - Winchesters
Double Barrel Shotguns
European Guns - Antique Guns
Military Guns and Swords
At home appointments may be arranged
P. G. Dowd Firearms
(508) 366-1999
Peter G. Dowd
30 Years Experience
Fully Licensed
Fully Insured

Village Vault is a wholly owned subsidiary of Village Gun Shop, Inc., a state and federally licensed firearms dealer with bonded and insured public warehouse facilities for firearms storage at 7 Belmont St. (Route 9), Northborough, MA.

Peter G. Dowd is a nationally recognized expert on modern and antique firearms and collectibles. Mr. Dowd has over 30 years experience in the firearms business. He has worked in firearms manufacturing as well as retail, wholesale, and law enforcement sales. He was an early pioneer of firearms auctions and he has conducted appraisals for the courts, insurance companies and numerous estate and private collections.
On a local level Mr. Dowd, as President of the Village Vault, is in contact with and has provided services to nearly 100 Massachusetts Police Departments. He is an associate member of the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association and the Central Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association.

One stop shopping... police seize..., he provides a "service" to the police and gets the weapons... then he fees the owners $$$ and "acquires" the gun... after which he auctions them off....(and somehow ALWAYs looses money on the sale???).. However this is perfectly legal by MA law so no harm no fowl !

Just another businessman providing a service to the Police and the gun owners of MA!

Ask and it shall be given!

he has been outed, his name is Pete Dawd (may he burn in hell) ... he does sell his stolen goods in different places, but he doesn't have a traditional retail store, just a house on Rt. 9 "by appointment only" I hope that he uses his ill gotten gains for his cancer meds.

It's a shame new gun people don't know the story, I for one almost bought my second gun from them... it was only me thinking the prices where too good to be true and asking on here that I found out the true story and decided I didn't want any part of it

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

It's a shame new gun people don't know the story, I for one almost bought my second gun from them... it was only me thinking the prices where too good to be true and asking on here that I found out the true story and decided I didn't want any part of it

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk
I am down in RI, luckily we don't have to deal with that BS

Please tell me what law the police is NOT following?

Sadly, the law allows what is being done here. The only option for us is to change the law by the Comm2A lawsuit. Too many "important people" like the system like it is now, thus there will be no legislative solution.

As a follow up to this, what if you don't have all of the guns at your residence in MA? Do you have so much time to turn them over or do you even have to if they are out of state? To clarify my question a bit, what if you own a place out of state or leave certain guns with a family member out of state?

This is the type of business and person that has found a way to legally take advantage ( at a great profit ) to gun confiscation in Mass.

This is Village Vaults "business Model".... hope you have deep pockets.....and by the way the owner of the guns has no say as to the police placing the owners guns with this guy/business!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eliminate the cost, liability and space requirements of 209A gun storage. Let Village Vault take the headache out of gun storage for:

• 209A (restraining order/domestic violence) guns and ammunition
  • Storage guns
  • Donated guns
  • Abandoned guns
Terms & Fees
Storage Fees

• 50¢ per item - per day.
  • Storage fees are payable, in full, every 30 days.
  • Handling fee $15 per item for pickup, electronic processing, and packaging.
  • Disposition fee - $20 per item handling and processing fee.
  • Administration fee - $45 covers the cost of certified mail, bookkeeping, and other administrative costs.
  • Firearms may be sold at auction to satisfy unpaid administrative, storage and disposition fees after proper notice to the gun owner (per Mass. General Laws).
Payments
All storage, disposition and administrative fees must be paid in full before firearms will be released. Inventory must be transferred in its entirety. No partial releases. Payment may be made by cash, money orders, MasterCard or Visa. We do not accept personal checks.
Options
  • If you have had your firearms seized in accordance with MGL Chapter 140, Section 129D you may at anytime transfer or sell your firearms to a properly licensed individual or firearms dealer for a transfer fee of $20 per gun.
  • If your firearms license was suspended and has been reinstated you may redeem your firearms with: (1) your valid firearms license and (2) a confirmation from either the court or your local police department.
    Transfers by appointment only. We can be contacted by telephone, in writing or by e-mail.
    "We do it right... by the book!"

We are a State and Federally licensed firearms dealer operating a fully insured and bonded public warehouse at our licensed premises. We are centrally located on Route 9 at Route 20 on the Westborough/Northboro line just minutes from the Massachusetts Turnpike and Route 495.
We provide:
  • FREE PICKUP at your department.
  • On-Site inventory, description and receipt at your department.
  • Certified written notice to the owner of record concerning a formal firearms inventory and storage terms.
  • Legal and proper firearms transfers in compliance with State and Federal law.
  • Analysis of items that are inoperable, unsafe and should be destroyed.
  • All firearms are individually boxed, coded and securely stored in our bonded, climate controlled, fully licensed firearms facility in accordance with standards set by the

Our Clients

We serve Massachusetts Police Departments. Contact us to learn how we can help you and your department take the headaches and liability out of gun storage and help you comply with Massachusetts gun storage laws and proper dispositions.

Police Departments'
Frequently Asked Questions

What does Chapter 140, section 129D say?
Click here to read or print the full text of MGL Chapter 140, section 129D.
What kinds of gun storage do you handle?
All kinds! But for your department's purposes there are three levels of firearms that may be transferred to a "bonded public warehouse on the licensed premises of a firearms dealer":
(a) restraining-order firearms
(b) donated firearms
(c) abandoned firearms
Can I store guns with any gun dealer or warehouse?
Chapter 140 Section 129D authorizes the licensing authority to only transfer firearms for storage to a "firearms dealer who has a bonded public warehouse on the licensed premises" after the licensing authority has taken possession of the firearms by any means.
What difference does it make where I store guns?
The key phrase for storage is "bonded public warehouse on the premises of a licensed firearms dealer". Liability transfers from the Police Department to the licensed, bonded dealer who must adhere to strict guidelines regarding the transfer and disposition of the firearms. Most police departments have neither the time, inclination, facilities, personnel, or insurance necessary to deal with this complicated, aggravating and time consuming task.
Does Village Vault meet all provisions of Chapter 140, Section 129D?
In a word, yes! Village Vault is a bonded public warehouse on the premises of the Village Gun Shop, Inc., a state and federally licensed firearms dealer, located at 7 Belmont St., Northborough, MA.
What does all this mean to my department?
Firearms storage at no cost to your department. Firearms storage liability one step removed from your department.
Is this a complicated process?
No. All it takes is one quick phone call. We do the rest. We come to your department. We inspect, inventory, describe and receipt all firearms, on-site. We handle all paper work, notices, firearms transfers or liquidations in compliance with all State and Federal laws.
How long do I have to hold guns my department seized under a 209A restraining order before I can transfer them to Village Vault?
Restraining order firearms may be transferred at any time according to Chapter 140, section 129D. It is not necessary to have a court hearing, especially in the case of a large quantity of guns or an extremely rare or valuable collection where the department wishes to be once removed from liability.
What about donated firearms?
Donated firearms may be transferred or sold at any time. We can handle the complete process from inventory to liquidation and forwarding proceeds of the liquidation.
What's the difference between donated and abandoned firearms?
Abandoned firearms may be disposed of after one year of initial surrender. They may, however, be stored immediately in a bonded public warehouse on the premises of a licensed firearms dealer. Got questions??? We've got answers. If you didn't get the answer here email us. We'll get right back to you with a comprehensive answer. And, if it's a good enough question we'll add it to this permanent list.

Gun Owners' Frequently Asked Questions

How much are the storage fees?
Storage fees are 50¢ per item - per day, regardless of the make, model or size of the firearm. The fee is the same for a .22 caliber, 5-shot revolver, a semi-automatic assault rifle, ammunition and associated items.
Do you bill me every month?
Yes.
What is an administration fee? Is that for each firearm?
An administration fee is a one-time fee for some services to you for all firearms owned by you which are in our possession. It is not charged per gun. It is charged to cover the costs of certified statutory notices that are required by law and which are associated with the handling and disposition of your guns. We must notify you by certified mail that your police department has surrendered your guns to us for storage, together with the a schedule of the fees for and terms of that storage. We must take and provide you with an inventory of the gun/guns, including the make, model, serial number and condition of each firearm and accessories. At some time there will be an ultimate disposition of your guns. They will either be returned to you by your police department and/or the courts or they will be liquidated by either sale at your direction or, in the case of a default by you, by sale at public auction. You will be notified by certified mail of the ultimate settlement. The administration fee helps cover the cost of certain services but does not including storage fees, disposition fees, and auctioneer's fees.
Your letter says I may "at any time" transfer my guns from your bonded firearms warehouse to a properly licensed individual or firearms dealer. What constitutes a "licensed" individual?
What constitutes a "properly licensed individual" depends on the type of firearms.
For handguns, a licensed individual must have a current Massachusetts License to Carry (pistol permit).
For rifles or long guns, an individual must have a current Massachusetts Firearms Identification Card. A Massachusetts pistol permit, however, covers both handguns and long guns.
What is the disposition fee?
The disposition fee is a standard charge of $20 per item to cover handling and processing of the item.
Do I have to pay a disposition fee for each gun?
Yes, $20 per gun.
What are the steps to transfer my guns to a licensed gun dealer or licensed individual? Written notice, signed and dated designating the transferee, along with payment in full via cash or credit card of all fees and charges. Personal checks are not accepted.
A friend of mine has a firearms license can I transfer my guns to him?
Yes.
I want to sell my guns. Can you sell them for me?
No. We do not accept consignments. However, we can buy your guns at current wholesale prices predicated on condition. I want to sell my guns but I want another gun dealer to handle it. How do I do that?
Simply write a note (sign and date it) instructing us to transfer the guns to a designated licensed dealer. We will compute the fees and transfer the guns to another firearms dealer upon payment in full of all fees via cash or credit card. No personal checks are accepted.

Last edited:
As a follow up to this, what if you don't have all of the guns at your residence in MA? Do you have so much time to turn them over or do you even have to if they are out of state? To clarify my question a bit, what if you own a place out of state or leave certain guns with a family member out of state?

Failure to turn everything over immediately is a separate Felony under C. 269 S. 10 and will stand alone regardless of the reason for suspension/revocation/RO.

If guns are not at your residence, you are legally obligated to tell the PD where they are. They will retrieve them if in-state or have a department local to their location retrieve them (out of state). 209A is the MA version of a Federal Law and thus every state is required to confiscate. If due to "suitability", likely the non-MA PD will laugh at them and do nothing, but you have done what you had to to avoid a felony rap.

Failure to turn everything over immediately is a separate Felony under C. 269 S. 10 and will stand alone regardless of the reason for suspension/revocation/RO.

If guns are not at your residence, you are legally obligated to tell the PD where they are. They will retrieve them if in-state or have a department local to their location retrieve them (out of state). 209A is the MA version of a Federal Law and thus every state is required to confiscate. If due to "suitability", likely the non-MA PD will laugh at them and do nothing, but you have done what you had to to avoid a felony rap.

What about firearms you've sold? cuz I've heard that even though you sell a firearm, your name stays with the firearm because of how the FA 10 system works.

Last edited:
What about firearms you've sold? cuz I've heard that even though you sell a firearm, your name stays with the firearm because of how the FA 10 system works.

Obviously those doesn't matter. Obviously there is a game of chicken in play here. If you declare you don't have any more and they find out you're holding out, you could be in serious trouble. If you're going to play "these aren't the droids you're looking for" you'd better be good at it. It's not about FA-10 data, its about whether or not the PD believes you're holding out on them or not. It depends on whether or not they go full retard while serving a 209A. Results likely vary per PD.

-Mike

Peter Dowd is not the only one providing this special "service" to us: http://www.newenglandballisticservices.com/index.html

Correct. Peter Dowd/Village Vault and Marc Cohen/Powderhorn are the two big dogs that get all the attention. There are lots of smaller players out there that take advantage of this law too. And there is more than one ugly story about the abuses (and I am NOT referring to incidents by the two big guys).

Boycott from me,the least I can do,and spread his virus like E-Bola and tell everyone I know,word of mouth is a powerful thing

I don't think anyone ever uses Dowd on purpose anymore. Hell, he's so hated that when he liquidates stolen guns he doesn't have the balls to sell them to consumers directly, so he jobs that shit out to yankee artificats or whoever it is (another FFL) to sell the guns on GB or wherever, and they probably get a cut of the sale. That's how much of a douchebag coward he is.

-Mike

I don't think anyone ever uses Dowd on purpose anymore. Hell, he's so hated that when he liquidates stolen guns he doesn't have the balls to sell them to consumers directly, so he jobs that shit out to yankee artifacts or whoever it is (another FFL) to sell the guns on GB or wherever, and they probably get a cut of the sale. That's how much of a douchebag coward he is.

-Mike
Just to be 100% clear, Yankee Artifacts *is* The Village Gun Shop *is* Peter Dowd. Check the phone number. It's all the same operation. And just for the record, they sell most of their confiscated guns through GunsAmerica and the Yankee Artifacts website.

New England Ballistic Services in Hopedale sells all of their confiscated guns as "New England Guns & Parts" on Gunbroker. They are the single biggest seller on Gunbroker operating out of Massachusetts. Crazy, but true.

Both seem to do a very good business since the majority of these confiscated guns are very popular, high-value and extremely well cared for by their unfortunate previous owners. Potential buyers outside of MA have no idea that they are buying confiscated guns for which their previous owners received absolutely nothing in return but grief.

Just to be 100% clear, Yankee Artifacts *is* The Village Gun Shop *is* Peter Dowd. Check the phone number. It's all the same operation. And just for the record, they sell most of their confiscated guns through GunsAmerica and the Yankee Artifacts website.

LOL, it's worse than I thought.... it's just a plain old front company. [rofl] What a prick.

Back
Top Bottom