Bolt stuck open. Gas key seems twisted? NO! It’s the FA!

DJBrad

NES Member
Took a new AR build in x39 to the range. Only two light primer strikes on this Wolf ammo. The bolt locked back with a few rounds left in the mag. I could not move it forward after banging it muzzle downward. Took it home and deinstalled the brace, buffer, spring, rear takedown spring, and detent. The bolt move forward and rearward about .5 an inch until it meets a blockage.

I believe the gas key ( rotating square lug on bolt beneath gas port?) is twisted somehow? I banged on the back of the bolt with a piece of wood and it only gets stuck more. The firing pin from the back moves back and forth. I cannot get the lugs of the bolt to move at all though. It appears some sort of bolt failure occurred I am unaware of.

This presents a difficulty because the upper cannot be removed from the lower at all. Bolt is still sticking out significantly.

Last edited:
Buffer tube is gone. This was step one. The only thing left is the complete upper and the lower minus everything rearward. If I could I would remove the upper but the upper’s rear takedown lugs are not able to slide out from the rear lower well. I might try spraying some lubricant all over the bolt and try again. This is one thing I didn’t do when I built it, that is lubricate the bcg judiciously.

glad to see the manufacture is standing behind it..... Most would have said NOPE you should not have dissembled it yourself....

My guess is a cheap pos pin or the FA plunger got smacked by something hard and quick to shear the pin like that?

glad to see the manufacture is standing behind it..... Most would have said NOPE you should not have dissembled it yourself....

My guess is a cheap pos pin or the FA plunger got smacked by something hard and quick to shear the pin like that?
I’ll plug Grid Defense/Ghost Firearms out of Daytona Beach FL. and Joey Zaatar for the excellent correspondence and customer service on this one. I believe he’s the owner. They’ve treated me very well and I will continue to do business with them.

I had a BCG jam in my last class when a tiny pebble found it's way into the upper and got drug rearward while extracting. It was wedged between the BCG and the left side (non-port side). Wouldn't budge with a mortar or FA. Had to remove the buffer tube and hammer it out. Total CF.

This was a BCM complete upper.

Back
Top Bottom