Bolt staking

I’m just saying I would like to give the business to a local smith that’s all. I don’t know many. I was thinking wicked weaponry.

Why didn't you just go with that instead of posting this thread? You don't want to travel very far it sounds like so your options are limited to that. Just go get the thing fixed and don't drop it again.

what kind of Gucci sh*t you running up there, that you make such bold statements? Put up or shut up... post some pics of your sexiest ARs for us peasants in MA to drool over then...

edit: I really do love a good “who’s d*ck is bigger” thread... here’s my offering...

View attachment 412222
^^ That’s a factory Noveske Infidel with a Vortex Razor Gen II on a Geissele mount.
Alright that’s nice

What roster? View attachment 412236
Does that look like a MA safety?

You are barking up the wrong tree.
[/QUOT
Why didn't you just go with that instead of posting this thread? You don't want to travel very far it sounds like so your options are limited to that. Just go get the thing fixed and don't drop it again.
yeah if you have not noticed not one person has told me about a smith in NH That can help I’m thinking of just buying the tool

Dude. Chill. When you ask for help, BEFORE you hit send, think, "would I say that out loud if it was to my grandma?" It's helped me countless times here coming across as less of a dick than I can without editing. Because I don't THINK I'm a dick in my head. But sometimes, the brain/hand connection gets mussed up.

And with 80% or so of NES members in mASS, it's gonna be a thin ask when you look for something outside of MA.

Dude. Chill. When you ask for help, BEFORE you hit send, think, "would I say that out loud if it was to my grandma?" It's helped me countless times here coming across as less of a dick than I can without editing. Because I don't THINK I'm a dick in my head. But sometimes, the brain/hand connection gets mussed up.

And with 80% or so of NES members in mASS, it's gonna be a thin ask when you look for something outside of MA.

If I was feeling like an adult that would have been a good reply by me.
However at almost 60 I don’t feel like being an adult. 😂

You have a very nice rifle there and your going to bubba it up by skinflinting on the repair? Maybe call LWRCI and tell them what you did and more importantly, what you are thinking of doing, and maybe they can send you what you need?

If you want to sell the upper let me know, it would go nice with my other LWRCI piston uppers.

You have a very nice rifle there and your going to bubba it up by skinflinting on the repair? Maybe call LWRCI and tell them what you did and more importantly, what you are thinking of doing, and maybe they can send you what you need?

If you want to sell the upper let me know, it would go nice with my other LWRCI piston uppers.
Different gun entirely the lwrc is fine it’s another bolt I was cleaning in the shop and just had a mishap.

Also go see Brian at next level in salem he has the uppers sometimes and could score you one he has a good connect with the lwrc

For a one off staking job, I would just find a decent FFL and have them do it. However, if you have multiple ARs and/or intend to build one from the "ground up” the 70 bucks for the Brownells tool is probably worth it. It'll pay for itself the 2nd or 3rd time you use it. I have one just because I like to work on my guns myself and not depend on a smith.

For a one off staking job, I would just find a decent FFL and have them do it. However, if you have multiple ARs and/or intend to build one from the "ground up” the 70 bucks for the Brownells tool is probably worth it. It'll pay for itself the 2nd or 3rd time you use it. I have one just because I like to work on my guns myself and not depend on a smith.
Very true. just figured it was an expensive bolt wanted it done right but brownells has it for like 70 bucks the tool you need

Very true. just figured it was an expensive bolt wanted it done right but brownells has it for like 70 bucks the tool you need
The tool from Brownells is fairly fool proof. It’s not like some of the ones that you have to belt with a hammer.
1) Install carrier key with two Bolt Carrier Key Screws to carrier using 9/64" Allen wrench or equivalent bit, torque to 35-40 inch pounds.
Colt recommends the use of Permatex No. 3 Aviation Form a Gasket in a thin coat across the bottom of the carrier key to insure a complete seal.

2) Insert assembled carrier and key into fixture with the carrier key end inserted into the open end of the fixture until it butts against the closed end of the fixture or the socket head cap screws securing the carrier key are centered between the cone tipped socket screws. Hand-tighten the cap screw in front of the carrier key to remove any movement of the carrier assembly in the fixture.

3) Using a 5/32" Allen wrench tighten EACH Allen head cap screw 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time until you have securely staked the cap screws of the carrier key.

4) If you have raised an excessive burr that will interfere with the opera- tion of the carrier in the upper reciever, carefully remove the burr using a fine file or stone.
Reassemble the firearm according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Check for proper functioning using ACTION PROVING DUMMIES. Make sure ALL SAFETY MECHANISMS are fully functional as designed and approved by the manufacturer. If these tests prove satisfactory, test-fire the firearm with live ammunition in a SAFE and APPROPRIATE manner. IMPORTANT! Start the live ammunition tests by first loading an ACTION PROVING DUMMY, then a live round, into the magazine. Only after sev- eral tests have been conducted in this manner should additional rounds be placed in the magazine and fired.

I just watched the Brownells video. Holy cow, what an improvement in technology. Comparing that to trying to hold it and hit it with a spike.

Back
Top Bottom