Bolt Fluting

38ExtraSpecial

NES Member
B511FFCE-0F2A-4CCB-88A2-8D8FADB5F643.jpeg https://www.longriflesinc.com/products/gunsmithing-services-bolt-fluting

I am not associated with this company in any way.
I did just have a bolt fluted there though.
Pretty awesome deal at $25 a whack.
Sexy little consmetic updgrade to make your tactical beard hair stand on end.

Sorry for the Savage guys. They don’t flute Savage bolts.

What does that do? Other than weight reduction?

Pardon my ignorance; all my bolt actions are milsurps.

Strictly aesthetics. It looks cool and that’s it.
They received the bolt, fluted it and sent me pics along win tracking the same day.
My buddy had the same experience with 2 Tika bolts a couple weeks back

i think the idea came about when armchair snipers were looking for a tacticool way to displace the notional dirt that's only had 10 rounds out the barrel since they bought it 5 years ago...except it didn't work for the purpose of displacing dirt, but rather filled another void.

for $25 that's a steal! does it seem to effect the operation at all...that's the only thing I would be worried about on my Remington 700 because it's by far the most accurate rifle I own.

I believe it also helps to smooth out the action. I don't think its only to be tacticool.

How the hell is that possible when the fluted part of the bolt doesn't actually touch anything? [rofl]

-Mike

Indirectly, From it being lightened up a bit. i should have been more specific.
Not like its a game changer by any stretch.

Indirectly, From it being lightened up a bit. i should have been more specific.
Not like its a game changer by any stretch.
So......removing like,....an eighth of an ounce of metal from the bolt makes it light enough to feel a difference when sliding it forward and rotating it about 45 degrees? I highly doubt that! If its just weight removal why the spiral? You could reduxce weight with straighter grooves that would probably be easier to cut and cheaper to accompliss right? Why can't guys just admit they do things to their guns cuz it just looks cool? It's ok......you don't need to "justify" the aesthetic stuff you spend money on by claiming it helps performance. Just come on out of the closet and admit it......it just looks cool......that's all......we all understand. I mean.....I have two shotguns with "jewled" bolts.......yeah it's an increase in cost......doesn't do shit for performance....some claim the jewling holds a film of oil and is better at reducing friction which is true and why it's done to rebuilt engines but......got a clue for those guys......if you can see the jewling on parts that don't touch metal to metal it's purely aesthetic and is not a performance "upgrade".... But hey......it sure is purdy :D

OP.....the fluted bolt looks awesome. Enjoy!

Last edited:
How the hell is that possible when the fluted part of the bolt doesn't actually touch anything? [rofl]

-Mike
Next comes the claim that its reducing the weight makes the bolt feel smoother....oh wait......nevermind already happened.[rofl]

Thanks!
I still haven't shot it yet. I was busy with 300 blackout at the range this week. Trying to infect a buddy with the blackout sickness so I figured I would leave the 700 at home until she can get the undivided attention she deserves.

Believe it or not, flutes do allow you to have very close bolt clearance and still be able to move the bolt easily because of reduced contact surface area.

Back
Top Bottom