Bolt Carrier

Looking at upgrading my bolt. This new bolt will be for my DMR ,and I don’t mind spending a big extra for quality. So any suggestions.

What gun? Caliber? Any other pertinent information?
Sorry about that. The rifle is built of of Anderson lower and upper,with a ballistic advantage barrel and there muzzle brake. With a cmc trigger and an slr 15 inch rail. Magpul fixes stock. I think the premium barrel I got from ballistic advantage is 223 Wylde

the bolt I am using now is an Anderson. I shoot this gun mainly at 200 and 600 yards. Basically just want an upgrade the bolt is old from another gun.

I have one of these and its a great BCG, the price is the lowest I've seen it too. I think they still do $5 shipping as well.

I have one of these and its a great BCG, the price is the lowest I've seen it too. I think they still do $5 shipping as well.

How are their uppers??? I'm looking to grab a pistol 300AAC upper and there are so many choices at low prices but I don't want to get stuck with a POS.

Can't go wrong with a BCM, Aero Precision, or SOLGW. Anything more expensive then those get fancy but you start getting diminishing returns with the exception of adjustable BCG's for suppressed shooting.

https://www.srcarms.com/shop/all-products/sharps-xpb-carrier-group-complete-in-nib-x/

products-SRCXPBCG-NIBX-2.jpg

I was personally thinking seekins or a jp enterprise.

Those are pricey. I don’t have any experience with them, but I have 2 Fail Zero BCGs that have functioned flawlessly since I put them in. They’re much cheaper than the JPs and get great reviews.

I would avoid Fail Zero. Poor QC. Had gas keys come loose and sent two back to have it restaked. No issues yet with BCM, CMMG, Brownells, Toolcraft. The KAC sandcutters are probably top of the line.

Interesting. Admittedly, I haven’t shot more than a couple hundred rounds through either gun.

How are their uppers??? I'm looking to grab a pistol 300AAC upper and there are so many choices at low prices but I don't want to get stuck with a POS.

They're nice, I have a 6.5 CM upper from them on my AR10 and its a real good shooter.

Here's a hint, put something in your cart and go thru the checkout process all the way till you submit the order then just close your browser and within about a day you'll get an email from them with a 5% or 10% discount offer to complete the order

Here's a hint, put something in your cart and go thru the checkout process all the way till you submit the order then just close your browser and within about a day you'll get an email from them with a 5% or 10% discount offer to complete the order
Grabagun used to do that as well.

When it comes to bolt carriers, how is anything beyond mil-spec an "upgrade".

That's kind of where I'm at, too. I'm confused by the question, beyond "I have money burning a hole in my pocket."

If the OP had said, "I have this bolt carrier related problem, and I want to solve it," it would be easier to understand. Even if it was just "I hate cleaning the carbon off, and I'm looking for something easier to clean."

Usually the solution (Nitride coating, suppressor-friendly BCG, hi-reliability bolt) is tailored to the problem (hard to clean, gas in my face, sheared lugs/extractor), but I'm not sure I ever heard the problem.

The problem doesn’t exist because there isn’t one.i just want a new bolt carrier the entire rifle is brand new except the bolt just want something new. The one in the rifle probably has 15 thousand plus rounds through it.

I've been told LMT bolts are well worth the money. That's what I put in my AR when I upgraded the barrel to a FN barrel. Kept/reused the NiB carrier.

I'm somewhat of a AR noob but I thought the bolt itself would be more important than the carrier when you're changing the barrel.

When it comes to bolt carriers, how is anything beyond mil-spec an "upgrade".

I can only figure shooting out to 600 with a .22 caliber, maybe there is some tweaking you can get from the bolt/carrier? He mentioned a 'premium barrel' whatever that means. I don't know enough about building a tack driving gun and didn't sleep in some fancy hotel last night.

The original is old, if there is some performance gain from whatever modification from milspec, why not upgrade? My issue with building a 'tight' gun is you lose 'functionality', tight tolerances don't do well with grit. But a bench gun, have at it.

My Rock River Arms complete upper came with a very nice chromed bolt carrier group. It's a think of beauty. Not sure what the BCG sells for independently, but it's worth looking into.

Edit - it's on sale for $110. Not sure you'll find a nicer group at a better price.

Last edited:
BCM(my default), LMT, SOLGW, CMMG or Surefire (if you are feeling ultra-gucci).
Just a note a quality bolt/barrel/upper is probably the most important part of building a high quality AR that runs.
If you are wanting to spend "big extra" it is probably worthwhile to either buy a factory upper (always the best idea) or buy parts from one manufacturer to make everything is designed to work together.
Despite what people say AR's aren't legos and there is a huge disparity between manufacturers and materials used. In variably it's a system that will fail at weakest link in the chain, so spending a ton of money for a couple really expensive components and matching them up with crap you will end up with crap.

the bolt I am using now is an Anderson. I shoot this gun mainly at 200 and 600 yards. Basically just want an upgrade the bolt is old from another gun.
What is old.
There are plenty of good BCG mil spec from many proven manufactures out there.
My friend has been buying Brownells AR parts more so for Brownells customer service and his long track record with the company

What is old.
There are plenty of good BCG mil spec from many proven manufactures out there.
My friend has been buying Brownells AR parts more so for Brownells customer service and his long track record with the company

I had a Brownells BCG that didn't get along with my Ballistic Advantage barrel. I think the bolt lugs were a little on the sharp side. That said, Brownells replaced it no questions asked and the replacement was AOK.

For @jjm1986 , the critical part of your BCG is simply the bolt itself. So long as the carrier functions smoothly in your upper, there's nothing special about it. A high quality bolt assembly will however make a difference in reliability and accuracy. The JP enhanced bolt assembly will serve you well, and I'd wager that you can simply keep your existing bolt carrier J P ENTERPRISES AR-15/M16 5.56 ENHANCED BOLT ASSEMBLY | Brownells . I have a Ballistic Advantage Premium Series 6.5 CM barrel for my AR-308 and am using a similar JP bolt but the high pressure version w/ matching firing pin. That combo has shot several groups below 0.3 MOA and one 100 yard group that was approx 0.12" if I recall correctly.

I have the premium ballistic advantage 223 Wylde barrel in there bead blasted format. I was thinking of just getting the ballistic advance nickel Boron bolt carrier

Back
Top Bottom