Bolt carrier got hung up

If that’s all that’s wrong with it, that’s not too bad of a fix.

Wow that’s great thanks seems like the same issue thing is junk
I have to deal with my non gun/mechanical friends and thier ARs especially the PSA and fancy cheap stuff. I wont sit here and call it all junk , but some of the shortcuts and where they save money usually end up causing issues.
Like the video. The parts where not “junk” but more of a assembly issue coupled with less than parts = problems.
Having a piece of steel under torqued parts , its not going ti end well.

This is why I ask “did tou clean it first” all the time. New parts are seldom clean. The amount of grit and grime along with machine chips that come off new parts/guns is to some surprising. If I ever Buy a new gun again I will do a video to show how dirty new guns are

I hate to say it but it’s my own fault I should’ve stuck with what I know and should’ve got a good bolt carrier that I’ve had experience with like a BCM
Yeah , well something drove you to buy that.
Super finish, glitter and shine , price?
because its Zero Fail mmkay?

heck it was a psa upper right, might as well toss a cheap bolt in it.
IDK whats good these days. When it comes to ARs mil spec had been good to me: not to crazy on up grades other than quality barrels, match triggers and free float tubes—-which I dont spend alot on anyway

The upper receiver is solid with all other bcg just seems like this fail zero carrier is out of spec or poorly built the pistol I built is not my first so I’m going to take it apart and see what’s going on but this bolt is going in pile of parts and already ordered a bcm bolt

The upper receiver is solid with all other bcg just seems like this fail zero carrier is out of spec or poorly built the pistol I built is not my first so I’m going to take it apart and see what’s going on but this bolt is going in pile of parts and already ordered a bcm bolt
I may have missed it. But did you put another bcg in the upper and see if it functions?

If that’s all that’s wrong with it, that’s not too bad of a fix.
How much resistance is a properly-staked gas key supposed to offer
to someone wielding what is basically a fat screwdriver trying to unscrew the bolts?

Because his visual assessment of the key was that it was adequately staked.

I understand that the bolts weren't properly torqued down because of false friction
from interference by coating contaminating the carrier's hole threads.

And I understand that the key not being sealed against the carrier because of that metal chip
meant that some gas was bled off along the carrier/key interface.

But would properly staked-down bolts not casually rotate regardless of how little
(if any!) torque had been applied during assembly?

to someone wielding what is basically a fat screwdriver trying to unscrew the bolts?

I understand that the bolts weren't properly torqued down because of false friction

And I understand that the key not being sealed against the carrier because of that metal chip

But would properly staked-down bolts not casually rotate regardless of how little
New key, new screws, chase threads, assemble, torque, stake, run it. If you don’t want it, I’ll fix it!!

I’m just not impressed with the bolt, I shouldn’t of bought it. Anyway when I have time this week I’m going to do a full inspection I will let everyone know how it goes. Like I said it just seems there is a lot of friction there with this bolt the others I tried felt smooth.

no warranty on fail zero?

Fail Zero will fix it under warranty. Never had a problem with BCM BCGs.

unless you displace metal on both pieces the staking will only hold the bolt from turning , after lots of vibration the stake can wear enough for the screw to come out.
having the chunk of steel under the seat was just a matter of time before something came loose.
When mating surfaces are not flat you get uneven forces and heating/cooling/vibration will have it come loose.
Now if Zero torqued the screws against the finish in the threads that gas key was never torqued to begin with

I hate to say it but it’s my own fault I should’ve stuck with what I know and should’ve got a good bolt carrier that I’ve had experience with like a BCM

some years ago I had a brand new BCM BCG with a bent gas key. Obviously it did not even go into battery. BCm immediately replaced it. Point is anyone can have problems.

It is a PITA with shipping, but, it works.
Thats $30 more and no logo.
I bought a few BCG a few years ago when prices where low again. I forget what brand. Milspec plain jane IIRC it was $69 shipped if you bought 5. Used 1 2 for spares and sold 2 to my friend.

I did not want to say anything, especially in the light of other thread of cheapest ar builds, but, using cheap parts is counterproductive.
I feel like the complete upper I purchased from palmetto was a solid choice it’s the fn barrel and the geissele rail I figured spend a few more bucks the fn barrels are top notch I use a 16 inch for my 600 yard range at my club

I feel like the complete upper I purchased from palmetto was a solid choice it’s the fn barrel and the geissele rail I figured spend a few more bucks the fn barrels are top notch I use a 16 inch for my 600 yard range at my club
I think most of those guys got screaming deals on good parts

So it seems like the bcg just needs just a good cleaning, heavy lube, and she‘s fine? Some of those coatings will cause exactly what you describe when a bcg is not thorouhg cleaned and well lubed first. I actually had that happen to a titanium nitride coated one last year. I use a thin coat of Mobil-1 pink grease on all my bcgs now.

So it seems like the bcg just needs just a good cleaning, heavy lube, and she‘s fine? Some of those coatings will cause exactly what you describe when a bcg is not thorouhg cleaned and well lubed first. I actually had that happen to a titanium nitride coated one last year. I use a thin coat of Mobil-1 pink grease on all my bcgs now.
Funny thing is I lubed the shit out of it I really go over these things before a range trip

Funny thing is I lubed the shit out of it I really go over these things before a range trip
Did you detail strip and clean the bolt before lubing it. Also Maybe all that lube created a nice bed for shit to stick to. You get these fancy coated things so it works better with out lube or wont rust? I forget why they coat them.

Fail Zero
EXO Nickel Boron technology that provides permanent dry lubricity,
You dont need a lot of lube especially on a gun that pukes on itself

Okay I went to the range this morning, and the pistol worked great with 2 other bolt carriers. If any wants a fail zero bolt carrier it’s in my trash in front of my house lol.

Looks awful dry to me.

Won't go into battery is a sign of misclocked barrel extension, improperly aligned gas key or gas tube.

Have you inspected the locking lugs for impact/wear marks on the corners?

Have you checked the under side of the gas tube ( the part you can't see looking at it from the bottom of the upper?)

Is your front sight post cocked to one side?

Will it push into battery by hand with the upper broken open?

Okay I went to the range this morning, and the pistol worked great with 2 other bolt carriers. If any wants a fail zero bolt carrier it’s in my trash in front of my house lol.
Maybe karma that, prob fixable with some work.

Back
Top Bottom