• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bolt action practice

peterk123

NES Member
Anybody use something like a 223 bolt action to practice at the range instead of always using their larger caliber hunting rifle? I'm wondering if it would make sense because the cost to shoot is quite a bit less. I could practice with the AR but I think it is important to practice working the bolt when in various hunting positions You just never know if you need a follow up shot. Thoughts?

I know, it will take a lot of shooting to breakeven on the cost of the gun. But the cost of purchasing another firearm is never part of the math in our house :cool: And between me and my wife, we will shoot a lot.

I think a 22lr is a great option for practicing what is important for competent bolt action shooting with regard to hunting. I wouldn’t go nuts practicing working the bolt to get good at follow up hunting shots. I’d focus more on keeping the rifle steady with a good trigger pull and breathing technique.

I have a Ruger American (.223) with a scope and bipod and the Miculek compensator and the best part is, it uses standard AR magazines. Sometimes I love swinging a bolt as I do cocking a lever. The only thing I am missing for the rifle that I want to get is a Boyd's stock. It's definitely my Gucci gun lol.

No, primarily because I don't own a smaller cartridge like .223 in a bolt action. I will use a rimfire for inexpensive trigger time. I've seen people advocate what you're asking about by suggesting using a .22 rimfire in the same make/model as your centerfire. An example is the Ruger model 77. I think CZ might be another manufacturer where you could get a rimfire and a centerfire in the same model. The thought is that the weight, the feel, the action, etc. are all pretty close. Check the space in your safe to see if you have room for two more.

I recently picked up a Ruger American Ranch in 5.56. It is a remarkably accurate rifle for such an entry level trim. The trigger is pretty good, I think it's a copy of the Savage Accu trigger. It illustrates just how good the AR platform is of absorbing recoil, as the 5.56 gives a nice little thump from the bolt gun. The bolt has the Ruger zipper sound when cycled, but it is smooth and functions very well. If you're a serious player, you may want a better rifle but the Ruger is a lot of fun to shoot and gives me another option for 5.56/.223

My bolt gun is 223.

At some point, I might get its 22lr sibling. I need to make myself shoot more, generally, before that really makes sense.

I hear the other way to get more practice on similar budget is reloading. I don't think anybody else (Saint @andrewCZ?) has recommended that version of "spend money to make money" yet...

Anybody use something like a 223 bolt action to practice at the range instead of always using their larger caliber hunting rifle? I'm wondering if it would make sense because the cost to shoot is quite a bit less. I could practice with the AR but I think it is important to practice working the bolt when in various hunting positions You just never know if you need a follow up shot. Thoughts?

I know, it will take a lot of shooting to breakeven on the cost of the gun. But the cost of purchasing another firearm is never part of the math in our house :cool: And between me and my wife, we will shoot a lot.
Cz457 in 22lr. Duh.

My bolt gun is 223.

At some point, I might get its 22lr sibling. I need to make myself shoot more, generally, before that really makes sense.

I hear the other way to get more practice on similar budget is reloading. I don't think anybody else (Saint @andrewCZ?) has recommended that version of "spend money to make money" yet...
I was thinking to make one but ultimately see no need. 6 dasher is the way. Almost no recoil with it, barely 6gr more varget than on a .223 load. Love it.

I was thinking to make one but ultimately see no need. 6 dasher is the way. Almost no recoil with it, barely 6gr more varget than on a .223 load. Love it.
Sure. I hear you. And for your use it sounds pretty good.

But the need here (per the OP) seems to be a less expensive trainer for the rifle he hunts with. Are you loading 6 dasher for 6 to 12 cents per round? Are you taking it into the field to shoot elk? If not, it sounds like your needs are different...

I can understand both sides. From where I'm at, 223 does everything I need, which is why I built that rifle. If my needs change, I'm sure my quiver will, too.

Sure. I hear you. And for your use it sounds pretty good.

But the need here (per the OP) seems to be a less expensive trainer for the rifle he hunts with. Are you loading 6 dasher for 6 to 12 cents per round? Are you taking it into the field to shoot elk? If not, it sounds like your needs are different...

I can understand both sides. From where I'm at, 223 does everything I need, which is why I built that rifle. If my needs change, I'm sure my quiver will, too.
Yeah, I do not think I would hunt with a bolt gun now.

I practice to learn what load/bullet weight/case processing the gun does best with, how I group, what happens when it gets hot, what elevation to dial in, how my scope is performing (if applicable) and dozens of other things. Shooting a different rifle with a different set of parameters might help with basic shooting skills like breathing but won’t be that relevant otherwise.

For critical stuff I want to know the rifle, and you can’t know the rifle by shooting another rifle.

Last winter I bought a Remington 572 to mimic my deer rifle, a 7600 in .30-06. I topped it off with a Leupold 2X7 just like it's bigger cousin and they both have new, similar leather slings made in New Hampshire. I really appreciate the extra trigger time with that .22. Yes the action is shorter, but the real difference is the recoil. You could give me cases of -06 but there are only so many rounds my shoulder is gonna take in a day at the range. I can shoot the .22 all afternoon from different stances, trying to make fast, accurate follow-up shots and not beat myself up. It's all good

For cheap bolt action fun I go to my Savage MKII FV-SR in .22LR. If you want to learn how to cope with wind, try shooting .22 at 300-400 yards! At 400, the round moves about 7.5" per mph of wind and the drop is around 24 feet. That teaches a lot about the markings in the scope and the ballistics of the round.

Yardages.jpg

If you want to practice positional shooting form and running the bolt what about dry fire practice with a shot timer and your main rifle? On the other hand if your looking for an excuse to buy another rifle then go for it. It's only money, you can't take it with you when you die.

My preferred bolt action is my 1917 Enfield shooting the same 30-06 hand loads as my Garand. 2 MOA with issue sights. I’m guessing it would be less with the Parker Hale 5b click adjustable aperture sight

I think it has merit if it's built exactly the same as your competition rig but that doesn't mean it'd be worth it to most people. You would need to shoot A LOT to make the investment worth it. Probably better off investing more into your main caliber and buying a ton of components and a couple barrels from the same gunsmith at the same time.

If the cost is a primary reason for going down to 223 or 22LR, consider reloading. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy plinking as much as the next guy(22LR at 300 yards is tough but fun!). that said, it will not help you learn your rifle recoil dynamics or the trigger feel. You need to get very comfortable with your rifle to be effective. There is a reason why the guys that manage to harvest consistently usually use some old Winchester Model 70 chambered in 243 that they've been using for decades and their daddy before that.

You can practice working a bolt in various positions in your living room whout spending any money on ammo.

It's a good idea to practice shooting a bolt action gun when wearing full hunting gear. If you bulk up with multiple layers of clothing you will find it different than shooting in shirtsleeves. Also, using dummy cartridges, I would practice loading and working the action in different firing positions (sitting, prone, standing).

Looking to find a decent 223 bolt just for this.

Also im reloading my first rifle rounds and I’d prefer to blow up that then something more expensive.

For cheap bolt action fun I go to my Savage MKII FV-SR in .22LR. If you want to learn how to cope with wind, try shooting .22 at 300-400 yards! At 400, the round moves about 7.5" per mph of wind and the drop is around 24 feet. That teaches a lot about the markings in the scope and the ballistics of the round.

View attachment 706399
what stock is that?

Sometimes I love swinging a bolt as I do cocking a lever.

well-here-we-go-again-man-putting-hand-into-pants-meme.jpg

I am somewhat surprised at the answers. I thought there would be more support for the practice rifle.

I have TWO practice rifles.

My main rifle is 6.5 CM that I built on a Remington 700 action. It’s great for shooting long distance 600-1000 yards. But as components are hard to find these past few years (actually since Obummer) and the barrel will only go 2500 rounds I can’t see using them up on practice at 200 and 300 yards. By using it for long distance only I should get at least two and likely three years on the barrel. I intend to shoot three matches each year, and I’ll shoot 200 rounds of practice and 100 rounds at the match so 300 rounds per match or 900 per year

I already had a Remington 700 Varmint barrel in .308, and I have a reduced load using 110 hollow points that is accurate. It use to be economical to load using less powder and the bullets were cheaper. However the bullets have become almost as expensive as my match bullets and I was still using large rifle primers. But the barrel should be good for 6000 rounds.

I did buy a Remington 700 SPS varmint in .223 just for an economical range trainer. I’d been thinking about it, and while on a fishing trip in Vt came upon a new but rack worn one on clearance in a store in Rutland . I was presently surprised when he said he would sell to Mass resident I’d I had LTC or FID. I added a Timney trigger and bottom metal to use AICS mags just like on the .308. I also added an inexpensive cheek riser. This rifle is my go to range trainer especially when I am working on improvised out of position shooting or speed drills ( dot drills). I shoot cheaper 55 gr bullets that I buy in 500 pc boxes. My trainer doesn’t have a muzzle brake and has an old red field fixed 10x or 12x scope and the rifle is FAR from identical to my 6.5CM match gun. But it works great. The trainer is lighter than my match gun and with no brake the muzzle movement is as much or more than 6.5. My belief is that anything I can do with my training rifle will easier to do with my match rifle.

I’m not against .22 rim fire, I do apple seeds, but it doesn’t have the recoil recovery element needed in PRS

Im also a big fan of dry firing with an optical trainer system.

My advice for OP is buy the .223 trainer. Practice out of position shooting with two shot drills. Give yourself 14 second to get into position and make two good shots. Shot steel if you can and see your impact of first shot. It’s a PRS drill but is exactly what I do hunting (except the second shot not needed)

what stock is that?

It's a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock, and I really like it! I picked up the Savage MKII at the Mill for around $235 out the door, and when I found out it could really shoot tight groups I decided to upgrade the stock. The plastic factory stock is pretty flimsy, but the barreled action is solid and features a 16.5" fluted heavy barrel and extended bolt handle. In the Boyd's stock it's a really nice package. With CCI SV ammo it can hit a 6" gong at 300 yards about half the time if wind isn't an issue.

IMG_3258.jpg

IMG_3259.jpg

I am somewhat surprised at the answers. I thought there would be more support for the practice rifle.

I have TWO practice rifles.

My main rifle is 6.5 CM that I built on a Remington 700 action. It’s great for shooting long distance 600-1000 yards. But as components are hard to find these past few years (actually since Obummer) and the barrel will only go 2500 rounds I can’t see using them up on practice at 200 and 300 yards. By using it for long distance only I should get at least two and likely three years on the barrel. I intend to shoot three matches each year, and I’ll shoot 200 rounds of practice and 100 rounds at the match so 300 rounds per match or 900 per year

I already had a Remington 700 Varmint barrel in .308, and I have a reduced load using 110 hollow points that is accurate. It use to be economical to load using less powder and the bullets were cheaper. However the bullets have become almost as expensive as my match bullets and I was still using large rifle primers. But the barrel should be good for 6000 rounds.

I did buy a Remington 700 SPS varmint in .223 just for an economical range trainer. I’d been thinking about it, and while on a fishing trip in Vt came upon a new but rack worn one on clearance in a store in Rutland . I was presently surprised when he said he would sell to Mass resident I’d I had LTC or FID. I added a Timney trigger and bottom metal to use AICS mags just like on the .308. I also added an inexpensive cheek riser. This rifle is my go to range trainer especially when I am working on improvised out of position shooting or speed drills ( dot drills). I shoot cheaper 55 gr bullets that I buy in 500 pc boxes. My trainer doesn’t have a muzzle brake and has an old red field fixed 10x or 12x scope and the rifle is FAR from identical to my 6.5CM match gun. But it works great. The trainer is lighter than my match gun and with no brake the muzzle movement is as much or more than 6.5. My belief is that anything I can do with my training rifle will easier to do with my match rifle.

I’m not against .22 rim fire, I do apple seeds, but it doesn’t have the recoil recovery element needed in PRS

Im also a big fan of dry firing with an optical trainer system.

My advice for OP is buy the .223 trainer. Practice out of position shooting with two shot drills. Give yourself 14 second to get into position and make two good shots. Shot steel if you can and see your impact of first shot. It’s a PRS drill but is exactly what I do hunting (except the second shot not needed)
My 308 is my hunting rifle. I reload but component costs are pretty high. My practice has been off my pack at 200yds. Various positions. Goal is to be proficient at 300yds or so. Plus my wife will be hunting next fall as well. So we plan to have a lot of range time this year getting ready for next season.

I learned from this year's hunt that I want to be comfortable at any position. This year's shot was at 200 yards, crawling for 20yards, prone position using sage brush to help with stabilzing the gun. It worked 😁

My 308 is my hunting rifle. I reload but component costs are pretty high. My practice has been off my pack at 200yds. Various positions. Goal is to be proficient at 300yds or so. Plus my wife will be hunting next fall as well. So we plan to have a lot of range time this year getting ready for next season.

I learned from this year's hunt that I want to be comfortable at any position. This year's shot was at 200 yards, crawling for 20yards, prone position using sage brush to help with stabilzing the gun. It worked 😁
The components, while expensive, are still cheaper than sh*t factory ammo.

Back
Top Bottom