• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bodyguard 380 and Light Strikes with TulAmmo?

Fired my M&P (no laser) Bodyguard for the first time with 25 rounds of Prograde ammo a few months back and it worked fine. Fired it for the second time today with the steel cased Tulammo from Wal-Mart and experienced about 10 out of 50 failures to fire which I suspect are light strikes. All the cartridges fired on the second trigger pull. I'm a little concerned now because I usually carry this gun (with quality self-defense HP rounds). The gun is all stock and obviously I'll choose a different brand next time I go ammo shopping. I'm inclined to blame the cheap ammo but I know the Bodyguard has had some problems so I'd appreciate any opinions whether it's the ammo or the gun.

I've had 1 light strike in 400-450 rounds with WWB or carry ammo in an M&P BG380. I've never tried Tula in this gun, but i suspect that's the issue.

10 out 50 FTF due to light strikes was about the same rate I got with Tula in my Glock 42. Everything else ran fine so I think it's the ammo b

I've never had light strikes with my bodyguard, even with that tula crap. If it functions 100% with quality ammo, i wouldnt worry about it. Tula ammo is known to be problematic for a lot of guns.

Don't use Tula in a BG380. The gun itself is borderline in terms of reliability. Bad ammo just adds another variable that will keep you from being able to decide if you want to bet your life on the gun.

Shoot it with your carry ammo and convince yourself (or not) that it's reliable enough. It's not a range gun. Just my 2 cents, from a guy who has shipped a BG380 back to S&W three times now.

Tula steel jammed up my BG380 so bad I had to send it back to S&W for them to remove the stuck casing. DO NOT USE TULA IN A BG380!

I took my BG out Friday for the first time and had 2 light strikes using Agulia ammo (out of 50). So it doesn't seem to like Mexican ammo much better.

I wouldn't care how it works on junk ammo, does it function on your carry ammo? How many rounds of that have you fed through it?

have had trouble free shooting with WWB through my BG. Just bought some Remington HTP and plan to test out a few of these rounds and if all goes well that will be my new carry ammo.

I wanted to use the gun at the range today and the single box of Tula was the only .380 I could find during my last several purchasing attempts. I thought I remembered reading that the Tula wasn't great but I didn't realize it was that bad. Just cleaned the guns that I used today and the Tula seemed to get the Bodyguard really dirty compared to the Independence ammo that I used in the SR9c. I'll hunt for another brand and see what happens.Thanks for the replies.

I bought a 25 pack of Federal Hydra-Shock and left myself 12 rounds for the two mags. Shot the other 13 and it was fine.
Man, I'd be putting a few hundred rounds through a new carry gun and even then it would need to be flawless functioning. I've been know to bring 500 rounds to the range of what I want to carry and just pound them through the gun. I want them to go bang and function 100%. It's my life I'm trying to protect.

Man, I'd be putting a few hundred rounds through a new carry gun and even then it would need to be flawless functioning. I've been know to bring 500 rounds to the range of what I want to carry and just pound them through the gun. I want them to go bang and function 100%. It's my life I'm trying to protect.

Yeah, I know. There were never guns around when I was growing up and I just got my LTC 10 months ago so I'm easing into this whole thing at 38. I also have an LC9 and a SR9c but I'm tiny so I'm still trying to figure out how to get physically comfortable carrying and what works for concealing it. For example, buying the BG was an experiment to try pocket carry because I'm struggling with IWB. I REALLY wanted a Sig 238 but wasn't willing to spend the $600 to find out it smacked me in the nads when I walked. I'm also an extremely avid cyclist, sea kayaker, snowboarder and occasional backpacker so I'm still trying to work carrying into my lifestyle plus find the time and money for the range.

Not familiar with the bodyguard, right now my carry is a shield. Your rugers should function fine if the ammo is good. Just put aside the tula steel cased stuff for the moment and try different ammo. Doesn't have to be the most expensive ammo, you're just trying to eliminate that variable. A few boxes of a couple different brands. 380 is expensive I think right now so your wallet will bark. You just need to know for certain it's not light hits from your gun.

I've shot 150rds of Tula thru a G42 with 0 malfunctions. Altho I did purchase 500rds of Tula 380off a friend who couldn't get them to function thru his PPK. I'm not sure how they function through a BG380 altho I do want to purchase one without the safety eventually. The G42 was a range gun as MFS

Back
Top Bottom