Body Armor

Ha!

I just entered before I read your post. If I win, I will share it with you...

Thanks for the offer but I'm already armored up [wink]

ETA: This is what I have and it's a very nice product for the price. Do get the "Advanced" plates they are much more comfortable than the flat plates. But the flat plates stop a round just as well, so it's a personal preference.

http://www.ar500armor.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29910

- - - Updated - - -

In thanks for the link. +1

Word seems to be getting out. At the time I submitted there were 2236 entries.

Still pretty good odds.

Last edited:

ETA: This is what I have and it's a very nice product for the price. Do get the "Advanced" plates they are much more comfortable than the flat plates. But the flat plates stop a round just as well, so it's a personal preference.

- - - Updated - - -

Still pretty good odds.

was just about to link that page, thats actually a pretty good deal

That's an amazing deal... Plate carrier, plates and mag pouches for ~$200?!?!

These appear to be steel plates? And are they actually rated as level 3? It says "bench tested to the same armor rating as Type III". Maybe another way they are able to save money is by forgoing the official rating, but I would want to do some research before buying.

Similar steel level 3 plates from bulletproofme are around twice as expensive, so assuming these plates are legit it seems like an unbeatable deal if you want steel plates.

That's an amazing deal... Plate carrier, plates and mag pouches for ~$200?!?!

These appear to be steel plates? And are they actually rated as level 3? It says "bench tested to the same armor rating as Type III". Maybe another way they are able to save money is by forgoing the official rating, but I would want to do some research before buying.

Similar steel level 3 plates from bulletproofme are around twice as expensive, so assuming these plates are legit it seems like an unbeatable deal if you want steel plates.

They are indeed steel plates. I don't think that they did the official Level III certification. They did fire multiple .308 rounds into the plate at 15 yards with no penetration. That's good enough for me and better than nothing when the SHTF.

AR500 plate has to weigh a ton. I have some ceramic gear that I wouldnt want to part with.

I have ceramic too but you know I'm thinking about it... Those level 3 plates weigh about the same as level 4 standalone or "In Conjunction With". And they're only .25 of an inch whereas ceramic plates are more like 3/4 of an inch. You could probably actually conceal those steel plates fairly well if you had a low profile carrier. I think concealment is pretty important for civilian use. In any sort of SHTF situation you don't want to bring attention to yourself by looking like some military wanna-be.

I can "conceal" my ceramic plates under a button down shirt and it doesn't print, but I look like the Michelin man.

Steel has disadvantages too when it comes to ricochets, etc, but I think due to the concealment factor maybe it's a better option than I had thought.

Last edited:
AR500 plate has to weigh a ton. I have some ceramic gear that I wouldnt want to part with.

Each full chest plate weighs 7.5 lbs. If you put the side plates on another 7.0 lbs and a back plate (7.5 lbs), you wind up with a vest that weighs 21 lbs before you throw in 2 loaded 30 round AR mags and 2 spare pistol mags. So you're looking at 30 lbs. The vest is well designed and it doesn't feel as heavy as it sounds. But it will slow you down.

I have ceramic too but you know I'm thinking about it... Those level 3 plates weigh about the same as level 4 standalone or "In Conjunction With". And they're only .25 of an inch whereas ceramic plates are more like 3/4 of an inch. You could probably actually conceal those steel plates fairly well if you had a low profile carrier. I think concealment is pretty important for civilian use. In any sort of SHTF situation you don't want to bring attention to yourself by looking like some military wanna-be.

I can "conceal" my ceramic plates under a button down shirt and it doesn't print, but I look like the Michelin man.

Steel has disadvantages too when it comes to ricochets, etc, but I think due to the concealment factor maybe it's a better option than I had thought.

I have the michelin man look with out the plates haha.

Only time mine will go on will be at GO TIME! Then I don't give a rat's ass if someone thinks I look like some "military wanna-be". I think they'll be to concerned with trying to get out alive to care what I look like.

I have the michelin man look with out the plates haha.

And honestly that may work to your advantage... I look weird because due to my face/neck, you would expect me to be a "normal" size, but then I've got an extra inch added to my chest and back. It would work okay from ~20 feet away but up close I think even people who didn't know what to look for would notice something was weird.

I run steel. I don't find the weight excessive.

Steel will take literally thousands of hits of M855 or 308 ball, unlike ceramic. If you're stashing something for SHTF I'd go steel unless you have lots of money to burn on replacement ceramic. Also, as stated above, ceramic is much thicker.

Last edited:
Ughhh...Sometimes I hate being left handed. The shooters cut is for a righty. Oh well, better than nothing.

AR500_Armor_gorig_acu_curved.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Ughhh...Sometimes I hate being left handed. The shooters cut is for a righty. Oh well, better than nothing.

AR500_Armor_gorig_acu_curved.jpg

Back
Top Bottom