• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Body armor/Tactical plate carrier

Question for the NES brain trust. I know level iv ceramic can stop mutiple hits from most rifle rounds, but what about 12 ga slugs. I find conflicting info that it will stop them, and yeah it will stop them, but the impact will kill you.
Anyone know?

Fast and small is better for punching through things then big and slow. Slugs may break up ceramic plate with their impact force, but I doubt they would go through.

Fast and small is better for punching through things then big and slow. Slugs may break up ceramic plate with their impact force, but I doubt they would go through.
That's pretty much in agreement with everything I've found, but would the force still kill you?
I know that range would obviously be a factor.

None of the manufacturers mention it, as far as I can tell.

That's pretty much in agreement with everything I've found, but would the force still kill you?

It will probably feel like getting smacked in the chest with a bat, regardless of what hits you in the plate, but I would still be more worried about rifle velocities then I would a shotgun.

It will probably feel like getting smacked in the chest with a bat, regardless of what hits you in the plate, but I would still be more worried about rifle velocities then I would a shotgun.
There have been many things written that suggest 12ga slug will not penetrate (obviously) but will likely rupture the heart.

There have been many things written that suggest 12ga slug will not penetrate (obviously) but will likely rupture the heart.
There have been many things written that the shockwave from a 50bmg round going by 15 feet away will make your head vaporize right off your shoulders. Don't believe everything you read.

Yeah, 30-06 doesn’t sound fun either, but likely not what they’d be using for home defense. Or maybe it is...

When CW2.0 kicks off it will be run what you brung for a lot of people, and grandpappy's .243 cranking along at 3500+fps will probably lol at all of these plates as it sails right through them.

There have been many things written that the shockwave from a 50bmg round going by 15 feet away will make your head vaporize right off your shoulders. Don't believe everything you read.
Don’t go raiding any deer hunters house and you should be fine.

I am not so worried about getting shot by a shotgun. I was thinking more of what defensive ammo I should be keeping around. I am not much of a shotgun guy, but most of what I have hanging around is 00 buck.
But, think there is a little more validity to the 12ga vs. body armor question than the 50bmg shock wave myths. 12 ga is a pretty commonly owned civilian firearm. Looks like my level IV plates will stop it, but if you live, you are gonna have a helluva bruise.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qSVOZfp3R4

@edmorseiii

I don't know if what this hunter said is true but he said the pressure wave from his 50 caused the eyes of his deer to pop when he missed?

View: https://youtu.be/6P3uwl5HzzQ

The only thing I'm taking away from that video is that Bubba Joe missed a layup shot with a with a $10k+ rifle. He is a faggot and should shamed into oblivion for releasing that video.

A deers eyes popping as homeboy just missed a 50 yard head shot is not the same thing as my sarcastic hyperbolic analogy.

I am not so worried about getting shot by a shotgun. I was thinking more of what defensive ammo I should be keeping around. I am not much of a shotgun guy, but most of what I have hanging around is 00 buck.
But, think there is a little more validity to the 12ga vs. body armor question than the 50bmg shock wave myths. 12 ga is a pretty commonly owned civilian firearm. Looks like my level IV plates will stop it, but if you live, you are gonna have a helluva bruise.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qSVOZfp3R4

In my unprofessional and not all that up to speed opinion I believe that anyone with an AR and a set of plates is better off than 95% of the potential idiots out there regardless of what they might come up with to fight this .0001% chance of a real drawn up battlefield type CV2. And the reality is you can have all the best gear and training and a round of anything could still find its way into your flesh by some moron if shit popped off in any of our directions. There is only so much you can do and I think most people here got it covered better than most.

You don’t want rifle mags under your arms like that. Move them to the front, or get a belt to put rifle pouches on. From the little I’ve worn mine I can already tell once you start moving around with it, anything you’d want immediately, you can only really grab from the front quickly. Leave less likely to be accessed stuff for the sides.

They’re fine there, as long as there are one or two that are easier to access. The vast majority of reloads are not emergencies.

In my unprofessional and not all that up to speed opinion I believe that anyone with an AR and a set of plates is better off than 95% of the potential idiots out there regardless of what they might come up with to fight this .0001% chance of a real drawn up battlefield type CV2. And the reality is you can have all the best gear and training and a round of anything could still find its way into your flesh by some moron if shit popped off in any of our directions. There is only so much you can do and I think most people here got it covered better than most.

Yup. Even guys in special mission units get killed and wounded by guys/kids with a 3rd grade education in flip flops, shooting an unzeroed and rusty rifle. Sometimes it’s just an unlucky day, no matter how trained and equipped you are.

View attachment 413848. Nothing flashy here but it works for me. Condor PC, LA Police Gear lvl 3 ceramics, light and easy to move around in. I’m loving the admin pouch below the mags, I might ditch the side pouch since I don’t need to really stash anything more than what’s in the other pouch which is IFAK, multi tool and some chem lights.

Tactical Fannypack, what is old is new again. lol.

@fencer
I have a buddy that took a round in side plate in Afghanistan. It did not penetrate... but he was completely out of the fight. I imagine that a 12ga slug is gonna have the same kind of effect. His ribs were gelatin

It actually looks pretty useful. Can you still bend with it?
Yes no problem at all, it hangs right above my midsection so it doesn’t slap me in the balls when moving, it works well in my opinion but I did take my multi tool and chem lights out for when I go prone, I’m just keeping meds and a few CR123 batteries in it.

Last edited:
Yes no problem at all, it hangs right above my midsection so it first slap me in the balls when moving, it works for well in my opinion but I did take my multi tool and chem lights out for when I go prone, I’m just keeping meds and a few CR123 batteries in it.
Wait it does or doesn't slap you in the balls? Is that to keep you alert?

@fencer
I have a buddy that took a round in side plate in Afghanistan. It did not penetrate... but he was completely out of the fight. I imagine that a 12ga slug is gonna have the same kind of effect. His ribs were gelatin
Pretty much what I figured. I have no doubt that the trauma from a 12 ga slug could kill you even though it wouldn't penetrate the plate.

Broken ribs/sternum, punctured lung, and internal bleeding come to mind. The heart can also stop due to severe impact, called commotio cordis, or have the pericardial sac fill with blood and just compress it until cardiac arrest. Even a plate that technically stops penetration might have enough backface deformation to ruin someone.

I'd still rather be wearing plates than not if I catch a 12ga slug. If you don't survive you might at least have a few more moments to take the other bastard with you.

Back
Top Bottom