Body armor/Tactical plate carrier

this carrier I bought forever ago really sucks. I honestly don’t even know what brand it is. I might have even gotten it from here via group buy. Has no tags on it or anything.

ideally I want to get a new carrier and order plates for it. I’m now leaning towards the Spiritus Systems LV119 if I can find one. Plates I’ve been looking at Hesco, DFNDR or Hoplite. DFNDR are pricey but lightweight

Whatever you do, do it now. You'll wait months. No telling how long the wait if restrictive legislation floats to the surface again in the next year. And a Dem supermajority, however unlikely, would seal the deal.

So all these guys with body armor, are you single or let the Fam fend for themselves? "Sorry honey, I could only buy one set of plates." would result in me dead and my wife wearing my kit (if I had kit to wear. :()

CATI Armor has III+ multicurve steel plates with spall coating options and foam trauma pads in stock and ships within 2 weeks based on my recent order with them.

Evike and some of the silly airsoft places which sell real plate carriers and plates have stuff in stock because the usual gun/prepper crowd overlooks that the LARPer supply sites have some real gear in stock for the Guci airsoft players.

So all these guys with body armor, are you single or let the Fam fend for themselves? "Sorry honey, I could only buy one set of plates." would result in me dead and my wife wearing my kit (if I had kit to wear. :()

If there's gunfighting I expect most will leave the wife and kids at home.

Me, I'm buying my wife a kevlar helmet and a full set of Lvl 4 plates. My plan is to use her for cover.

Whatever you do, do it now. You'll wait months. No telling how long the wait if restrictive legislation floats to the surface again in the next year. And a Dem supermajority, however unlikely, would seal the deal.

Oh I’m well aware. That’s why I’m super panic rn lol. I’ve put bids in on Spiritus rigs on eBay and have already been outbid over $400. It’s like a $300 rig stripped. Too much for my blood. My back up plan is going to be a Ferro Concepts Slickster and try to get a few simple attachments for it and plates right away.

My wife and kids all have carriers and rifles. Yeah they get stuck with steel plates. The wife has a very nice carrier, the boys got condors because they're still growing.

If my wife and kids need to wear carriers, something has gone VERY BAD.

If you've got a carrier on with plates in, you're likely in an offensive voluntary position.

If you're wearing carrier because you get attacked, 1) youre lucky your attackers suck and gave you time to do that 2) you probably should have spent that time evading and trying to flank them with speed.

I give my family basic squad moving and room clearing guidance. In reality they dont train enough to be effective and the real goal is teach them not to put themselves in even more danger.

I have a pair of AR500 plates that I'm thinking I can let go, though looking at ebay they seem to be all over the place and cheap (~$80/pair). To sell or find some other use for them...

30 years from now folks will be going to garage sales and finding all sorts of dusty old never used tactical gear and plates and wonder "WTF was this from?"......and some old coot will explain its all leftover from the 2020 tactical panic buy where none of it ended up getting used.....trump won the election, the GOP retained the senate and won back the house and the antifa terrorists were rounded up under the insurrection act

At least thats what I hope the story how I hope it turns out.....

I'm already doing that around my house with shit I bought 10+ years ago. [laugh]

If you have an old set of 10yr old ceramic plates you've replaced you should take them to range and set up a couple tests to see if they actually "aged" or were still good

My bet is that unused modern ceramics are probably good for well over 10 years......

Karma them to some desperate NES member so that at least one more person might live a bit longer in the worst case scenario vs. the commies.

If you have an old set of 10yr old ceramic plates you've replaced you should take them to range and set up a couple tests to see if they actually "aged" or were still good

My bet is that unused modern ceramics are probably good for well over 10 years......

They're old steel plates that weigh like 9-10lbs each. The carrier still has the tags on it. Thank goodness I didn't spring for ceramics back then.

I Kind of always bought armor for the wife whenever I made a buy for myself.

I bought my first set of light weight level IV plates about 10 years ago. Got a smoking deal on them and they are only 4.4 pounds of weight each. I liked them so much i immediately bought a second set for myself and a smaller sized set for the wife (along with PCs).

Around the same time I also bought her and I a set of soft 3A panels and carriers on sale.

Then i bought about 3 more of the level 4 hard plate sets, whenever I found them on sale over the last 10 years.
(Also got a deal on hesco Multi curve level IV plates about 5 years ago. I think I paid like 110 for a pair. But I'm Not crazy about those cause they are pretty heavy at around 7 or 8 pounds I think ).

I also took advantage of various sales on Carriers over the years (did research on them first). I think I've got about 6 plate carrier set ups now, each configured differently. Some are set up for live fire class use, and I have one set up as just a slick carrier with no pouches or anything.

I've just always made it a habit to do all types of armor, ammo, firearms purchases and even some gun builds = with the wife in mind (btw we don't have kids ... so that made it a little easier).

Last edited:
I took my plate carrier out for some drills the first time today. I have a much better appreciation for why lighter plates cost that much more. Mine are heavy and I was exhausted.

It made me realize I need to work on my cardio more too

which carrier is this? I’m narrowed down to the Spiritus L119, Ferro Concepts Slickster or FCPC, and the Velocity Systems Scarab LT. hmm

Slickster. It was available, price wasn’t bad, and I tried on my buddy’s during a carbine class and liked it. Elastic cummerbund that hold mags is a nice feature too. Waiting on ceramic plates.

there’s a couple on there as a buy it now that aren’t too inflated. I’m wondering if the FCPC is a better buy though Compared to the slickster
there’s a couple on there as a buy it now that aren’t too inflated. I’m wondering if the FCPC is a better buy though Compared to the slickster
So I order the FCPC yesterday. $667 with plates. I get a conformation email along with, one or more items you ordered require additional information. Click on that link. You need to send a copy of drivers licence, copy of LTC AND a notarized affidavit....WTF...So I recently moved and would have felt uncomfortable walking into my local bank branch getting a copy of affidavit signed titled"SKD Tactical Body Armor" I called a friend whose daughter is a notary got her email address and sent it to her. She sent back signed/stamped. I send the three requested copied to them. Today I get an email saying that my mailing address did not match my ltc/drivers license and needed utility bill etc so I scan a recent verizon bill and email. Right after that I get another email saying that I needed to mail the original notarized affidavit.....I almost snapped my laptop in half. I then thanked them for saving me $700 and canceled my order...WTF...Just a heads up Cheers

So I order the FCPC yesterday. $667 with plates. I get a conformation email along with, one or more items you ordered require additional information. Click on that link. You need to send a copy of drivers licence, copy of LTC AND a notarized affidavit....WTF...So I recently moved and would have felt uncomfortable walking into my local bank branch getting a copy of affidavit signed titled"SKD Tactical Body Armor" I called a friend whose daughter is a notary got her email address and sent it to her. She sent back signed/stamped. I send the three requested copied to them. Today I get an email saying that my mailing address did not match my ltc/drivers license and needed utility bill etc so I scan a recent verizon bill and email. Right after that I get another email saying that I needed to mail the original notarized affidavit.....I almost snapped my laptop in half. I then thanked them for saving me $700 and canceled my order...WTF...Just a heads up Cheers

JFC. What is wrong with those people?

Yea I’ve come to realize that I’m going to need to spend at least $600 for some decent plates that aren’t ridiculously heavy. Which I’m okay with. If it’s something that could potentially save my life, I’m fine with that. And it seems like a lot of these panic buying Nana’s are more apt to buying cheaper plates? I dk I could be wrong.

am I crazy for buying two carriers? I hear most people who really commit to building a setup will usually have 2? I basically ruled out the Spiritus LV119 because it’s impossible to get at normal pricing; or close to. It came down to the Velocity Systems Scarab LT and the Ferro Slickster. However, I saw a video of this Defense Mechanisms MEPC and it’s basically the Slickster but with more features and the same, if not better materials? It was very affordable though. So I bought one as a minimalist type setup and the Scarab LT because I couldn’t decide. I suppose I could always sell it to a friend or have it as a backup. I’m not too worried atm, I just know you can’t get decent carriers anywhere cause they’re all back ordered.

Spiritus is overpriced and less than desirable quality. They cant keep up with the demand since all the nerds saw their shit on that stupid seal team show and their quality control has taken a big hit. They also release bundles of product in "drops" and it turns into a shitshow resembling black friday at walmart. I had one of their 556 placards i literally threw it in the garbage it was so terrible.

OP, if you're struggling with plate sizing, or if you're in between, i generally size down. Id rather lose an inch of coverage and be comfortable than not be able to shoulder my rifle.

Steel is terrible. M855A1 will punch clean through AR500. Its better than nothing i guess but id probably take my chances running slick and mobile before i strap f***ing steel gongs on my chest.

Like i said in my first comment, for your intended application, highly recommend the JPC or the ferro concepts slickster.

So there seems to be a trend with modular placard setups on the front of some carriers. Is it possible to put a placard setup on a carrier that only has molle up front? It appears that they utilize a lot of hook and loop with buckles or g hooks at the top.

So there seems to be a trend with modular placard setups on the front of some carriers. Is it possible to put a placard setup on a carrier that only has molle up front? It appears that they utilize a lot of hook and loop with buckles or g hooks at the top.

Esstac makes them, i have one set up with HSGI tacos for when i larp with my AK.

Back
Top Bottom