Body armor/Tactical plate carrier

I'm very curious about the Costa Ludis cuts, I plan on ordering one on Monday when they re-stock. I appreciate the company's model. The price you see is the price you pay and you don't have to worry about add-ons and build-up bed-liner fees. If you pick out an 80$ plate on AR500's page it winds up being 150 once it winds up in your cart.

That's what I need to get to. My biggest issue right now is finding a plate carrier.

That's what I need to get to. My biggest issue right now is finding a plate carrier.
I had a hell of a hard time getting a plate carrier. Ordered a Veritas carrier from AR500 Armor about 6 weeks ago when the website was indicating a 1 week lead time. Finally shipped last night. Would not recommend using AR500 in the future. It was truly impossible to get in touch with their support teams via phone, email, OR social media.

When I was looking, Crye SPCs/Swimmers were on 12 week back order, and the story was similar for a lot of other vendors. If I could go back in time, I would get a cheap stopgap that is in stock and wait for something quality like the Crye. I was looking on LAPG last week and they seem to have some options in stock.

As some other posters mentioned in this thread, there is an armor focused store in NH. I'd call there if you're having tons of trouble.

Would not recommend using AR500 in the future. It was truly impossible to get in touch with their support teams via phone, email, OR social media.

All the armor companies are like that right now. Massive complaints about it on forums, social media, and to the BBB. Not answering calls, emails, social media, nothing. I know they don't have many employees and it is all hands on deck trying to keep up with orders, but they could keep one person on customer service.

I ordered from Cati Armor (multicuve steel plate company levels IIIA, III, III+ with options for build up spall guard coating + foam trauma pads, limited selection of carriers) mid August and they shipped my order on Tuesday. They post stock updates weekly with ETAs and are impossible to get a hold of otherwise.

Last edited:
damn you all....NES is going to bankrupt me...or save my life ...or both, I also need plates and a carrier and never have had them so I'm a newbie... and on a budget...so I'll be following this thread closely

I had a hell of a hard time getting a plate carrier. Ordered a Veritas carrier from AR500 Armor about 6 weeks ago when the website was indicating a 1 week lead time. Finally shipped last night. Would not recommend using AR500 in the future. It was truly impossible to get in touch with their support teams via phone, email, OR social media.

When I was looking, Crye SPCs/Swimmers were on 12 week back order, and the story was similar for a lot of other vendors. If I could go back in time, I would get a cheap stopgap that is in stock and wait for something quality like the Crye. I was looking on LAPG last week and they seem to have some options in stock.

As some other posters mentioned in this thread, there is an armor focused store in NH. I'd call there if you're having tons of trouble.

My biggest issue currently is I don't know WHAT to get. Once I figure that mess out I'll start looking at how to get it.

Always ran LBT6094's. As nice as the Crye's, half the price, no waiting in line behind endless amount of airsofters.

My biggest issue currently is I don't know WHAT to get. Once I figure that mess out I'll start looking at how to get it.

I’m no expert but here’s my decision-making process from when this came up on another thread. Food for thought.

Steel has a place in the market for the reasons you describe. As for yay or nay, there are too many subjective considerations for anyone to make that call but you. I can at least share my decision-making process. I compensate for lack of first-hand experience by researching and analyzing until a decision became clear. For plates, consider:
  1. intended use
    1. anticipated threat --> NIJ rating
    2. duration of wear --> how much emphasis on weight
  2. urgency of purchase
    1. likelihood of using armor soon
    2. likelihood of restrictive legislation soon, whether taking a "last chance" mindset
    3. current and likely increasing backorders
    4. can you afford to wait and save up?
  3. budget approach
    1. buy once cry once?
    2. cheapest to get in the game?
    3. anywhere in-between?
  4. fitness level
    1. tolerance for more weight to save $
    2. willingness to spend more and save some sweat
  5. tolerance for risk of spall
You can't have it all. Evaluate each as factors within vs outside your control/knowledge. Also consider priority, what factors are negotiable vs non-negotiable to you. Cost is a known quantity. Anticipated threat is an educated guess. Duration of wear, like how many hours for how many days, is largely speculation. So whether your fitness and stamina are adequate for that duration of wear is a WAG.

So research and consider until your decision becomes clear. My personal conclusions each erred on the safe side.
  • Assume my threat involves cutting-edge rounds like M855A1 --> level IV plates (EDIT: Now I remember level IV doesn't cover M855A1, but the Hesco 4800s are rated for it in addition to level IV, one more reason I sprung for them.)
  • Assume long-duration of wear --> light weight.
    • No armor works if you took it off due to exhaustion.
    • I realistically don't have the stamina I did when training 6 days per week. Might get there again but better assume I won't.
  • Assess high urgency --> order now.
    • Significant backorders, only getting longer.
    • Significant civil unrest and no reasonable expectation of cooling off before November election, likely only worsening immediately after as a response to the election.
    • Many politicians discussing and proposing restrictive legislation. Realistic concern this may be my last chance to purchase armor before they're limited to secondhand or gray/black market.
  • Assume high risk and lethality of spall --> don't get steel, regardless of coating.
I concluded the one thing I can know among the unknowns is cost. It's also an area I'm willing to compromise among those non-negotiables. So I was eyeing a pair of Hesco 4800 level IV uber-light ceramics for $2400 total. In some ways that's a lazy approach for me to take; perhaps I could have drilled down more and compromised on some more factors. But at some point analysis becomes paralysis and you just gotta do something, even if suboptimal.

Then Congress sent me a debit card that covered the cost.

I laughed long and hard at the irony while placing the order using that card. And if those plates save me from a round also funded by Congress, the ironic laughter might kill me.

I can't say that I have one, but I'd prefer to stay under 500 if that's feasible. If I find it isn't I don't have an issue going over it.

You have a number of options in that price range. Less expensive carriers with better plates or more basic plates with better carriers. (single vs multi-curve and steel vs. ceramic)

The most basic carrier with III+ multi-curve steel plates, trauma pads, and a built-up anti-spall coating will run you $365 (you need the build-up coat and trauma pads with level III+ steel for safety reasons.) The con is weight and not having protection from AP.

Up to $500 you could get a decent carrier with higher end multi-curve steel plates, coatings + trauma pads, or a basic carrier with single curve ceramic plates (big weight savings +AP, but single curve is less comfortable than multi-curve).

Other thing to keep in mind is the cost of all the pouches. You can easily spend more on pouches going onto an inexpensive carrier than the cost of the carrier.

See the past two months of this thread:

There's also a whole 'nother thread on this subject matter, but there's a LOT to read through.

I'm personally in the same boat as you though. My only experience with body armor is that heavy as shit military AR500 crap they issued me at 29 palms to wear on vehicle recoveries around Camp Wilson.

I want something as light as possible, but that will protect intermediate rifle rounds at least. What i've come up with so far is the level III+ 'Special Threat' plates that weigh in around 5.5lbs a piece. For the time being, I'm just going to throw them in my USMC Flak Jacket, but will be looking at a plate carrier when they start to become more available again (if/when, I guess).

Edit to Add: ^^^^That's the thread I was referring to...he posted that while I was typing^^^^ At least I don't have to look for the thread to link to now :D

seems like everything is out of stock..I posted a WTB if anyone knows anyone selling a kit after they upgraded...I will also be ordering the steel ops ludus but have a feeling they will sell out

Optic planet has the condor operator MOPC in stock for $68 worth grabbing?

Last edited:
I've seen carriers around and available. Ebay has some too, you just need to do a little hunting. Plates seem slightly tougher to come by, but even there I think you can put an order in and start waiting.

ordered in stock from LA police gear a Condor EXO Plate Carrier Gen II carrier and 2 of the la police gear plates that seem to have great reviews...should get them in about a week now someone has to school this newbie how to set it up/ ie mag holders med kit ...but at least I'm on my way

Find your favorite YouTube “Operator” and fanboy whatever carrier they recommend. Make sure you buy it from them too, so you support their Channel, LOL.

Seriously though, there are plenty of guys who have reviewed lots of products, so watch the videos, read the reviews and go from there. The reason there are so many options is because companies are always trying to develop the latest and greatest in one-size-fits-most. Figure out your body shape, then see which carrier works.

I’ve tried Condor as a budget option, but you pay for what you get. The Slickster is a great lightweight option, and can run slick (duh) under a jacket or clip in a front panel but the shoulder straps are thin if you carry any big loadout.My current setup is an Esstac Daedon with a Spiritus Systems micro panel. The knife is an Esee 4, and there is a Camelback hydration carrier on the back and Dark Angel Medical IFAK (not pictured). I’ve posted the pic elsewhere on the body armor thread.

I’m running AR500 Level IV (Gen 2) plates in one setup, and ShotStop Duritium GTs (Gen 2) in a second setup (with a Slickster and HSP DCR Heavy)

216B3FAC-3735-462C-A7B2-B3F7DDB61A26.jpeg

Edit: If you’re located in Central MA, I’d be open to meeting up for you to check out the carrier and plates before you invest your $$

Last edited:
Find your favorite YouTube “Operator” and fanboy whatever carrier they recommend. Make sure you buy it from them too, so you support their Channel, LOL.

Seriously though, there are plenty of guys who have reviewed lots of products, so watch the videos, read the reviews and go from there. The reason there are so many options is because companies are always trying to develop the latest and greatest in one-size-fits-most. Figure out your body shape, then see which carrier works.

I’ve tried Condor as a budget option, but you pay for what you get. The Slickster is a great lightweight option, and can run slick (duh) under a jacket or clip in a front panel but the shoulder straps are thin if you carry any big loadout.My current setup is an Esstac Daedon with a Spiritus Systems micro panel. The knife is an Esee 4, and there is a Camelback hydration carrier on the back and Dark Angel Medical IFAK (not pictured). I’ve posted the pic elsewhere on the body armor thread.

I’m running AR500 Level IV (Gen 2) plates in one setup, and ShotStop Duritium GTs (Gen 2) in a second setup (with a Slickster and HSP DCR Heavy)

View attachment 387434

Edit: If you’re located in Central MA, I’d be open to meeting up for you to check out the carrier and plates before you invest your $$

Thanks! I'm in Southern NH.

well, i was one of the cucks who placed an order off of BPZ for a JPC 2.0. at the time of order, it was i want to say 4-6 week lead time. since then, it has been raised to 14-16 which is unacceptable. im going to ask for a refund and buy another, or maybe keep the order and buy a cheaper setup. This is just bananas. you'd swear everyone is buying f***ing carriers with the way this is looking right now.

what'd everyones nana get their LTC and is now buying armor because Antifa and BLM are gunna come knocking?

Im way behind the ball and im feeling like i need to get something. I bought a garbage carrier years ago with no plates, i guess i could get some plates for that until the Crye comes in. but that 14+ week time makes me very wary because its after Nov...and concerned with potential banning of purchases

So you don't have plates now and you are going to wait for your JPC before getting plates? I am confused?
Get plates, put them in the old carrier, and the whenever the JPC shows you'll be all set

I have my carrier and I’m now waiting for the damn plates. Ordered in July, won’t be ready to ship until end of this month beginning of October supposedly. Blehhhhhh

So you don't have plates now and you are going to wait for your JPC before getting plates? I am confused?
Get plates, put them in the old carrier, and the whenever the JPC shows you'll be all set

this carrier I bought forever ago really sucks. I honestly don’t even know what brand it is. I might have even gotten it from here via group buy. Has no tags on it or anything.

ideally I want to get a new carrier and order plates for it. I’m now leaning towards the Spiritus Systems LV119 if I can find one. Plates I’ve been looking at Hesco, DFNDR or Hoplite. DFNDR are pricey but lightweight

Back
Top Bottom