• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Body armor shelf life

Firstly, I don't want to hear about why I feel I need to buy body armor. I want to buy some before they eventually get put on the NFA list and require federal registration and a $200 tax to buy a soft or hard plate of armor.

Also, before the internet tax BS takes effect, I want to buy some body armor, probably Level III+ plates from AR500. I'm most interested in their ultra lightweight Lvl III armor, but its shelf life is 5 years compared to 20 years for the heavier armor.

My question is does the shelf life really matter for body armor? If I buy armor that has a 5 year shelf life and have it for 6 years, is it no longer usable? I don't want to buy body armor that goes bad after 5 years because that's a total waste of money for very expensive plates.

Firstly, I don't want to hear about why I feel I need to buy body armor. I want to buy some before they eventually get put on the NFA list and require federal registration and a $200 tax to buy a soft or hard plate of armor.

Also, before the internet tax BS takes effect, I want to buy some body armor, probably Level III+ plates from AR500. I'm most interested in their ultra lightweight Lvl III armor, but its shelf life is 5 years compared to 20 years for the heavier armor.

My question is does the shelf life really matter for body armor? If I buy armor that has a 5 year shelf life and have it for 6 years, is it no longer usable? I don't want to buy body armor that goes bad after 5 years because that's a total waste of money for very expensive plates.

Idk about all of this soft armor stuff, but if you are looking at rifle plates, I would skip the steel and spend a little more money on a set of triple curve ceramics. You will never wear/train with it if it is heavy and terribly uncomfortable, steel plates are both of those, and what's the point of buying it if you are never going to wear it in training?

At the end of the day, this stuff is designed to stop bullets from punching through you, I would spend the money on quality gear and follow the manufacturers suggestions for care.

Every source I’ve ever consulted has said that the expiration date on soft armor is garbage. Vests tested years after that date perform just as well as new vests.

As for hard armor, steel sucks, kind of. It’s cheap which is nice, and easily found from lots of companies. If I were to buy again I would spring for ceramic. For a pair it would be about $120 more than I paid for my steel and much more wearable. Steel plates make me feel like a turtle.

The steel armor is cheap and heavy, but the plates have a 20 year shelf life. The ceramic/composites are 5 year shelf life.

I'm not gonna spend hundreds more on something that lasts less than half as long as steel plates. I agree that light is better, but it's not better for me.

Every source I’ve ever consulted has said that the expiration date on soft armor is garbage. Vests tested years after that date perform just as well as new vests.

As for hard armor, steel sucks, kind of. It’s cheap which is nice, and easily found from lots of companies. If I were to buy again I would spring for ceramic. For a pair it would be about $120 more than I paid for my steel and much more wearable. Steel plates make me feel like a turtle.
I haven't done research on this stuff in probably 15 yrs. 5 yr warranty is based on fact that a lot of officers did/do leave it in car trunks in super-hot weather (think TX, AZ) for days on end. If you keep it in climate controlled environment (most homes) lifespan is likely increased quite significantly.

I haven't looked at the mfr date on my vest in years, I wear it rarely when serving certain type of legal papers or doing evictions, otherwise it sits in my closet. I don't worry about the expiration date, I concern myself more with situational awareness.

I haven't done research on this stuff in probably 15 yrs. 5 yr warranty is based on fact that a lot of officers did/do leave it in car trunks in super-hot weather (think TX, AZ) for days on end. If you keep it in climate controlled environment (most homes) lifespan is likely increased quite significantly.

I haven't looked at the mfr date on my vest in years, I wear it rarely when serving certain type of legal papers or doing evictions, otherwise it sits in my closet. I don't worry about the expiration date, I concern myself more with situational awareness.
I hear you on all that, but that last thing I would want to do is buy armor that doesn't last. 90% of the time it's going to sit in a closet at room temps, not a trunk at 150 degrees.

If someone here knows if the ceramic/poly plates can last 20 years in a closet, I'll buy them. I don't expect the customer service rep of a manufacturer is going to tell me anything different than what's on the website, which is why I'm asking here.

I can tell you that a vest I bought roughly 25+ years ago was put to the test at the range last year and it held up to all the handgun rounds that were shot into it. Was a level IIa that I wore daily for many, many years. Had a full ceramic chest plate.
Better that than nothing.

If you doubt shelf life look on youtube for Taofladermaus. They use old vests for 12ga slug back stops and beat the ever-loving piss out of them, they still stop rounds...

I hear you on all that, but that last thing I would want to do is buy armor that doesn't last. 90% of the time it's going to sit in a closet at room temps, not a trunk at 150 degrees.

If someone here knows if the ceramic/poly plates can last 20 years in a closet, I'll buy them. I don't expect the customer service rep of a manufacturer is going to tell me anything different than what's on the website, which is why I'm asking here.

It seems like you're answering your own questions and not paying much mind to the good advice of forum members taking their time to respond to you.

I've never carried the steel stuff, but i'll tell you after carrying a full set of ceramic for weeks on end your shoulders/neck are going to feel it. The most important part is training your body to handle the extra weight in the spots that are load bearing...namely your traps (mid shoulders) and your hips.

Spend the extra money and get the ceramics, but don't leave them in the damn closet. Take them for walks 3 or 4 times a week. If you don't feel like looking like a homo, stuff your plate carrier in a GOOD backpack with a waist belt and hike around the neighborhood keeping your hips back and your butt out to control the shape of your spine and you should actually be ready to use the damn things if the time comes.

me...i don't believe in the stuff other than what I have to wear when on orders. sure, it's saved a LOT of lives...but where I live, I want to be able to move nice and quick if something happens that I ever need to use a firearm...that specifically rules out heavy body armor. i have a flak or two sitting around which offers protection from lite pistol rounds (which is mostly what I would ever see anyway). might keep my brain bucket though...i'll have to decide when the time comes. should i ever take heavy rifle fire, being able to move to cover faster might come in handy without lugging steel plates around...but maybe that'd just me?

They do this because they don't want another SecondChance lawsuit city problem. EG, if you put an expiration date on it, it covers a range of use WRT liability. EG, if they put a 5 year date on it, even if someone abuses the vest and stores it badly, etc, it'll probably work "at least that long even given shit care" and they can't get sued over it.

It's just liability BS, like the "THIS COFFEE IS HOT" stuff after the Stella Liebeck era.

In the grown-up world, we know it's all BS, and given decent care even soft armor is probably good for decades.

Several years ago I shot up a IIA vest with some guys at the range, it was a LEOs old IIA duty vest. It was even a SecondChance branded vest. We had to shoot the piss out of that thing with all kinds of handguns before it failed (and we could really only get it to fail by shooting it in the same spot over and over again, lol) and it was at least 5+ years old when he "retired" it and he wore the thing every day on duty...

-Mike

They do this because they don't want another SecondChance lawsuit city problem. EG, if you put an expiration date on it, it covers a range of use WRT liability. EG, if they put a 5 year date on it, even if someone abuses the vest and stores it badly, etc, it'll probably work "at least that long even given shit care" and they can't get sued over it.

It's just liability BS, like the "THIS COFFEE IS HOT" stuff after the Stella Liebeck era.

In the grown-up world, we know it's all BS, and given decent care even soft armor is probably good for decades.

Several years ago I shot up a IIA vest with some guys at the range, it was a LEOs old IIA duty vest. It was even a SecondChance branded vest. We had to shoot the piss out of that thing with all kinds of handguns before it failed (and we could really only get it to fail by shooting it in the same spot over and over again, lol) and it was at least 5+ years old when he "retired" it and he wore the thing every day on duty...

-Mike
If it was really a liability thing, then why is it 20 years for steel plates and 5 years (not 20) for non steel plates? If it's all about not being cared for and abused, then it looks like steel plates are better because you can beat the hell out of them and they'll still work.

I have no doubts that a soft vest or a steel plate will last, my concern is about the more expensive plates.

Here's the link to what I'm looking at getting:
AR500 Armor® Level III Lightweight UHMWPE Body Armor 10" x 12"

Why do you need body armor?

Seriously though, i dont own it or wear it..i should.

If you buy real stuff and take care of it, i personally dont think shelf life will be a problem in your lifetime.

Come to think of it... i do own body armor. My helmet i guess is body armor.... but if it wont stop a rifle i dont see the point....unless its some kind of deal where your exclusive around handguns for training or recreation.

Id rather be shot then wear it personally. The weight and heat are too much. I guess im just a pussy.

If it was really a liability thing, then why is it 20 years for steel plates and 5 years (not 20) for non steel plates? If it's all about not being cared for and abused, then it looks like steel plates are better because you can beat the hell out of them and they'll still work.

I have no doubts that a soft vest or a steel plate will last, my concern is about the more expensive plates.

You can get ceramics for like 129 each. I would avoid that kind of plate. I can’t remember exactly but I think polyethylene plates fail on contact shots with striking regularity. Either that kind or dyneema. It’s been a while since I read about this stuff so forgive my memory.

Check these out:
Hesco Level IV 10in x 12in Stand Alone Armor Plate, Single Curve, NIJ .06

I don’t know anything about that brand as a disclaimer.

That’s polyethylene, not ceramic. They’re two completely different things.

Ceramic armor doesn’t have a shelf life.

Get ceramic Level IV stand-alone plates. Triple curve if you can swing it, and at least one (if not both) shooters or swimmers cut.

I can't really decide whether you are a troll most times. Just like the truck thread and the second truck thread. And the third truck thread. People who have done this shit are giving their time to you ( and us readers!) And giving honest advice and details. And once more you seem to be ignoring them.

Will soft IIA degrade in time given moisture and heat? Yeah. Will steel potentially rust if stored salty and sweaty and never maintained? Yeah.

Accept your own risks; but you have to understand that the time to die expiration dates on life supporting person protective equipment is based on worst assumed storage and use conditions by the initial engineering team .

Let's move along.

Back
Top Bottom