• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Body armor plate carrier reccomendations

Saw that.. Was going to buy one in multicam. But I've already got two sets and carriers. Do I really need more?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gotta wonder why do a liquidation sale on that carrier? It has to be one of their big sellers, its what everyone recommends to everyone that wants a decent carrier and doesn't wanna take out a loan. Even the airsoft kiddies are all about that carrier.

I gotta wonder why do a liquidation sale on that carrier? It has to be one of their big sellers, its what everyone recommends to everyone that wants a decent carrier and doesn't wanna take out a loan. Even the airsoft kiddies are all about that carrier.

Could depend when their fiscal year ends, or other tax related dates on carrying inventory. It's better to blow it out than sit on it and get ****ed by .gov

I run DKX plates in a BFG PlateMinus (not the new PlateMinus2 which is overpriced). If I were to do it again, I would buy the new Crye Airlite (wasn't out when I got the BFG). I also own the Banshee and it is nice, but the PlateMinus is way lighter. The DKX plates are amazing.

I owned the high-end AR500 curved coated plates that were on group buy here. They were a joke. They were BEYOND heavy. Had two other buddies buy them as well and we all sold them. We beat up our gear and use our gear, and AR500 plate, due to the weight, is pretty much unusable in any scenario where we are not just chilling indoors or sitting around. It slows you down to the point where you will be winded, dehydrated, and unable to carry on after an hour (if you last that long, temperature matters). You will become so slow you will be shot up. It serves no purpose that we can see, especially in a "end of days" scenario where moving and covering ground would make sense (not that we are planning for that at all). The DKX plates are light enough to be worn without turning you into a slow tank. I'm sure someone will chime in about how they wear their 2 plates + side plates + 14 magazines + 2 gallons of water + 10 pistol mags + 2 drop legs + plus shotgun + AR15 + cliff bars + radio + 2 IFAKS and have no problems. If you are that guy, congrats on being both ripped and having amazing cardio, and generally for hitting the genetics jackpot. It must be the Crossfit. If you, on the other hand, are a normal mortal who is in good shape and would like to be able to run to cover, move around through windows/buildings/obstacles, crawl, and be able to hike around, reconsider. If on the other hand you plan on barricading in at home, AR500 is totally great, you will be protected, and if you don't need to move, I'd use it. Personally I rather be mobile than protected, so doesn't fit the bill for me.

Remember: plates only matter if you have medical services available. If you are planning for an "end of days" scenario, a chest rig is better than plates, since plates will save your life UNTIL you get to a hospital. Plates protected the very center of your chest, not your guts, not the sides of your chest/arms/shoulders, etc. Most places they don't protect will kill you within a few hours if hit. Remember, it's just nipple-to-nipple and above belly button. That isn't much. So the idea of such things is that you will remain alive long enough to get to the ER/hospital to be saved from all your injuries. If that is not the situation for which you are planning, ditch them altogether and spend money elsewhere. In a Mad Max situation where quick transport to medical facilities are not available, unless you expect to take one single random round in the middle of the chest, these plates have no real purpose. I'd probably even leave the DKX behind, if someone is shooting at me with an AK I will be taking arm/leg hits too and without medical I will die sloooooooow. Rather move fast and not get hit at all.

Back
Top Bottom