• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bobs Tactical had an incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suicides tend to want to be alone - and there are FAR easier options than a rental range if you own you own gun.

Also, given today's litigious climate, the failure to have such a policy could be seen as contributory negligence. I've seen signs in ranges in "free states" prohibiting lane rental to unaccompanied individuals without a carry permit.

still does not mean it will not happen.

I understand the policy on a "negligence/law" aspect, but the idea it actually stops people from killing themselves is a bit silly IMHO. It is the same idea of all those laws we argue that will not stop a criminal

Really? Youre an expert on suicide too? Ever know some who tried it? I do. The rule makes perfect sense. Someone with their own guns isnt going to a range where someone might try and stop them to do it. People who off themselves at a public range with a rental gun are doing that because thats the only way they have access to one.

I actually do know people who have attempted (two successfully) suicide.

A gun isn the only way to kill oneself, maybe we should make sure anyone taking pain pills or advil be supervised when they take it.....

It actually makes a lot of sense- if you run the numbers, the overwhelming majority of rental/pay range suicides are by people most of us would consider "non shooters" - people who nominally have no access to firearms. Just read some news articles covering these incidents... Nearly every pay range suicide involves someone renting a gun and then killing themselves with it.

Think about it for a minute- if a suicidal individual already has a gun, or has access to one, why on earth would they rent a lane (and/or a gun) at a pay range to kill themselves? They could just go into the woods or something and do it, or do it in their basement.

-Mike

you would have to ask the person committing suicide why they would do that. What I am saying is you cant guarantee that a rule like that will prevent suicide at your facility. It WILL prevent suicide by someone without a permit at the facility. The rule may help, but it is not foolproof, yet everyone here thinks it is....what if someone has a family and doesnt want to commit suicide at home because of the anguish it will leave on their family to know someone from their family killed themselves in the home? (I am posturing here, but it is no different than all the people who disagree with me)

Geez Dude

you would have to ask the person committing suicide why they would do that. What I am saying is you cant guarantee that a rule like that will prevent suicide at your facility. It WILL prevent suicide by someone without a permit at the facility. The rule may help, but it is not foolproof, yet everyone here thinks it is....what if someone has a family and doesnt want to commit suicide at home because of the anguish it will leave on their family to know someone from their family killed themselves in the home? (I am posturing here, but it is no different than all the people who disagree with me)

Nobody said fool proof! If you read my post,you'll see that I even said that. But to say it makes no difference, is foolish on your part. If insurance companies can do one thing well (besides sucking us dry) is they keep numbers / and assign risk. 1/PER numbers are averages,and the averages can be beaten if you change the way you do business....

Nobody said fool proof! If you read my post,you'll see that I even said that. But to say it makes no difference, is foolish on your part. If insurance companies can do one thing well (besides sucking us dry) is they keep numbers / and assign risk. 1/PER numbers are averages,and the averages can be beaten if you change the way you do business....

+1 dude

What I am saying is you cant guarantee that a rule like that will prevent suicide at your facility. It WILL prevent suicide by someone without a permit at the facility. The rule may help, but it is not foolproof, yet everyone here thinks it is....
No one here has said it is foolproof. It isn't. Nice strawman, though.

what if someone has a family and doesnt want to commit suicide at home because of the anguish it will leave on their family to know someone from their family killed themselves in the home? (I am posturing here, but it is no different than all the people who disagree with me)
???

So, you're saying they shouldn't have the rule, so that people can more easily commit suicide?

I don't judge people who choose to end their lives. I didn't walk in their shoes, so I can't say whether or not their life was worth living. But I can't criticize a gun range that takes steps to reduce the chances that someone will try to commit suicide on their range.

I'm really confused as to why you're so worked up about MFLR's rule. Why is that such a burr under your saddle?

I said in there "it may help" it will help against suicide by the unlicensed. You are right there. The only way to make sure there is no suicide in a place is to allow no person to go there by making it inaccessible.

No one here has said it is foolproof. It isn't. Nice strawman, though.

???

So, you're saying they shouldn't have the rule, so that people can more easily commit suicide?

I don't judge people who choose to end their lives. I didn't walk in their shoes, so I can't say whether or not their life was worth living. But I can't criticize a gun range that takes steps to reduce the chances that someone will try to commit suicide on their range.

I'm really confused as to why you're so worked up about MFLR's rule. Why is that such a burr under your saddle?

Im not worked up about it, but it is akin to all those laws that we say will do nothing to stop a criminal. Like MFLR said, he loses some business because of the rule, but I am sure the range overall appears to be a bit safer. Hell, I stopped going to AFS after watching the untrained public try to shoot on their own. (Not that training should be mandatory) so I see merit for the rule in a slightly different way as well.

you would have to ask the person committing suicide why they would do that. What I am saying is you cant guarantee that a rule like that will prevent suicide at your facility. It WILL prevent suicide by someone without a permit at the facility. The rule may help, but it is not foolproof, yet everyone here thinks it is....

Please read Rob's posting. I don't think anyone who has posted here thinks this policy will prevent suicides. It's more like this - I don't think an alarm at my home prevents burglaries but insurance companies say that a casual burglar is more likely to skip a home which has a sign saying it's protected.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Please read Rob's posting. I don't think anyone who has posted here thinks this policy will prevent suicides. It's more like this - I don't think an alarm at my home prevents burglaries but insurance companies say that a casual burglar is more likely to skip a home which has a sign saying it's protected.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Like I said as well, I totally understand it from a law/insurance standpoint. Right, it will stop joe schmoe who says "today is the day" and decide he needs a gun to do it....

Please read Rob's posting. I don't think anyone who has posted here thinks this policy will prevent suicides.
I think it will prevent some suicides at a range with that policy. May some of those folks choose to commit suicide elsewhere? Sure.

It's more like this - I don't think an alarm at my home prevents burglaries but insurance companies say that a casual burglar is more likely to skip a home which has a sign saying it's protected.
I agree with the insurance companies on this -- a casual burglar is more likely to skip your home and move on to the next.

I think it will prevent some suicides at a range with that policy. May some of those folks choose to commit suicide elsewhere? Sure.

I agree with the insurance companies on this -- a casual burglar is more likely to skip your home and move on to the next.

agree on both. Is there a difference between casual suicide and career suicide? heh

Honestly, do you expect someone who is at a point mentally, where they are going to kill themself, that they are capable of considering the impact to the shooting sport? And the impact to law abiding gun owners?

Anyone that cared about the sport, the way of life, etc. and offed themselves with a gun at a range is an effin cowardly scumbag. If you disagree I don't really give a shit. Go freeze to death, eat a bottle of Valium, run the car in the garage.. Don't go and do something that will make some pussy liberal douchebag try to pass more effin laws to ruin everyone else's lives.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Sad Story for all involved.

BUT: By 7:15 p.m., the body was removed from the shooting range area of the building into a Suburban SUV by two men wearing white plastic boots.
WTF!!!! makes it sound like a wierd secret cover up....cue the twilight zone music.

BUT: By 7:15 p.m., the body was removed from the shooting range area of the building into a Suburban SUV by two men wearing white plastic boots. WTF!!!! makes it sound like a wierd secret cover up....cue the twilight zone music.

No kidding. Talk about horrid reporting. Why they wrote that instead of saying "Technicians from the medical examiner's office removed the body from the shooting range."

Anyone that cared about the sport, the way of life, etc. and offed themselves with a gun at a range is an effin cowardly scumbag. If you disagree I don't really give a shit. Go freeze to death, eat a bottle of Valium, run the car in the garage.. Don't go and do something that will make some pussy liberal douchebag try to pass more effin laws to ruin everyone else's lives.

Thank you for saying exactly how I felt.

Honestly, do you expect someone who is at a point mentally, where they are going to kill themself, that they are capable of considering the impact to the shooting sport? And the impact to law abiding gun owners?

Bingo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom