Bobs Shooting Range Salisbury MA permanently closed

Cars&Guns

NES Member
I know alot of you guys didn't like this place but its sad to see any gun shops or ranges close. I always had good experiences at Bobs and will be sad to see it go. Hopefully someone will buy it and keep it a range and shop.Screenshot_20200603-094455_Facebook.jpg

is there still an "original" bobs?

but yeah, i agree with you. i hate seeing shops or anything firearms related shut their doors.

I bought a Sig P229 from them about 11 years ago. The late Jack was working the counter that day. Their price beat FS and it came with one more mag than the FS gun. Only shot there a few times. The staff was great but the range could be dangerous with a lot of the shooters not using safe gun handling practices.

I think the obvious reasons were being forced closed through the covid panic and already being slow there business wise must have done them in.

I bought a Sig P229 from them about 11 years ago. The late Jack was working the counter that day. Their price beat FS and it came with one more mag than the FS gun. Only shot there a few times. The staff was great but the range could be dangerous with a lot of the shooters not using safe gun handling practices.
in the last few years they had some changes to make it safer for people there but i think the poor reputation from experiences like yours in the past were a huge factor to their business not doing as well as it could have.

Over the last few years it seemed they made some attempts to improve. I know they had renovated the shop and it looked better and they worked at improving safety. Guess they could not overcome the reputstion they had as a shit hole.

My worst sales experience there was when I heard they had a couple of older model 36 revolvers that were in excellent shape. I drove there with cash in my pocket. Clerk took one out for me and I asked if I could dry fire it (I buy guns to shoot them not let them sit) and the clerk said ok. I pointed it in a safe direction after inspection and cocked the hammer and dry fired......some other clerk came from the back and started yelling at me "hey we don't allow dry fire of collectible guns in this shop"......and I mean he yelled at me! I asked him first buddy! I gave the gun back to the clerk after I opened the cylinder and inspected it and left. I never went back. I was actually going to buy it too like I said I had the cash.

I hate to see shops close......but from my experience there they earned the reputation of an unsafe range and not a pleasant experience to shop at.

That's too bad. They were all A good group of guys. I purchased my first gun from them. I Haven't been up there in a few years. Before I joined a club I used to shoot their 3 or 4 times A month.

[laugh]

Yup, I've seen more muzzle sweeps there than anywhere else. I also saw a woman with her friends that wanted to take a photo of her with a gun in her hand and when she turned around, had the gun pointed right at the person snapping the pic. In addition, I was there when splatter came back and hit a shooter in the face - lot's of bleeding from that one.

I can confirm this!

Me too! Dennis needs to hire a PI to follow his wife. [laugh]

Sorry for being out of the loop, but what were the "obvious reasons"?

Several suicides at the gun range over the years. Lot of people renting guns and holding them sideways doing mag dumps. Not the safest place but It was a good place to go try out something you were interested in.

I remember someone who knew someone who had a friend who knew someone inviting me into the back room and giving me a bucket of ammo and some Thompson mags to load before having an all around great time.

I know alot of you guys didn't like this place but its sad to see any gun shops or ranges close. I always had good experiences at Bobs and will be sad to see it go. Hopefully someone will buy it and keep it a range and shop.

If someone buys it, would they change the name to "Subsequent Bob's"?

Jim Ballou did write a book on the BAR and was on Tales of the Gun on the History Channel. Jim at the range, that's going back a few years... Nice guy, let me fire a full auto H&K MP5 one night. I think he passed a couple of years ago.

Sad news, the place has been around for a long time and the guys that worked were good guys. They were slow and definitely hurting before the Covid bullshit so I’m not suprised they closed. I always asked Aaron why he didn’t stock more ammo and he told me couldn’t compete with Wal Mart. It was akways my opinion that they could have put a little more effort into supplies and available Guns but I’m not a business owner so who knows what would have helped or hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom