• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bobcat kills fawn.

That's a good catch on camera. I feel sorry for the fawn- not because bobcats gotta eat but because the doe just split and left it to die. That bobcat looks smaller than the fawn, and way smaller than the doe. I figured the doe would have at least tried to kick the bobcat.

Yep, nature at work. Nice jumping by the cat.

Pretty wild. I guess the jump gives the cat the... jump on the prey. They get their momentum going and they cover a bunch of ground without making noise and spooking it. I’ve never noticed or appreciated that.

Saw a fox carrying a very, very young fawn in its mouth years ago. It must have been close to newborn because of the size.

Sad but that's the way she works. We'd seen the fox wandering around before and he was a magnificent specimen. Big beautiful coat, sharp eyes and almost majestic. I guess he eats good too!

That's a good catch on camera. I feel sorry for the fawn- not because bobcats gotta eat but because the doe just split and left it to die. That bobcat looks smaller than the fawn, and way smaller than the doe. I figured the doe would have at least tried to kick the bobcat.

The deer's defense is its rate of reproduction. Outside of the rut, they're not animals built for fighting.

The bobcat doing what bobcats do, is just the way it is. Those showing emotion as to natures ways, Shows me that there are folks here that have no heart for the reality of death.

Cool Video. I've never observed anything actually attack and kill a deer, but back before Massachusetts lost its collective marbles, when I was beaver trapping under the ice I would occasionally find where coyotes had chased deer on the ice of a beaver pond, where it didn't have any traction and kill it. The next day the entire carcass would be gone, except for some deer hair blowing around the pond. I have watched red foxes hunt and catch both woodchucks and rabbits in the daytime in early summer, undoubtedly to feed a litter of pups.

When Chet McCord was doing his bobcat study on the Quabbin Reservation's Prescott Peninsular, he said that the bobcats there were regularly killing deer, year round, because that's pretty much all that was there for them.

The deer's defense is its rate of reproduction. Outside of the rut, they're not animals built for fighting.

There was a video going round the internet a few years back where a buck took on a full grown man (or vice versa). I think the man got the worst of it.

There was a video going round the internet a few years back where a buck took on a full grown man (or vice versa). I think the man got the worst of it.

It wasn't a fight, it was a mating attempt. Said man - who responds to the name of dolt - showered himself in doe in estrus urine and then said, "hold my beer", and then proceeded to, well, get "assaulted"......

Definitely a fox. We have quite a few of them up in Nova Scotia.

Maybe the deer was a tad smaller and newborn. I'm not sure. But carried along the limp body in its mouth for sure.

Beautiful animal, that fox.

ETA:

Someone posted this on Twitter. I didn't take any pics:

BjLg1NdIAAAhAhJ.jpg

I'd like to see the fox that carried a fawn that size in its mouth. The fawn was either smaller or the fox might have been a small yote?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom