BOB firearm

I'm looking for recommendations for a .22LR bug out bag gun. Something lightweight, inexpensive and reliable. I was thinking of a used Ruger Mark III, an inexpensive .22LR rifle, or perhaps a small pocket pistol. Any recommendations?

Ruger sr22 pistol would be perfect. Mine is utterly reliable even with crap ammo. A Mark III is kind of big for a small cheap BOB 22 IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

X2 on the SR22 its cheap and reliable. Also easy to clean. For a .22 rifle I'd suggest a ruger10/22 takedown model.

that henry rifle is nifty. I was also looking at the ruger 22 charger. Does anyone know if that takes standard 10/22 magazines or not?

Living in Mass I'm not sure I should leave a firearm in a bug out bag or get home bag. :( I guess bugout bag is not big deal if it's at home (with a lock on it), but leaving one in the car seems like a bad idea in this state.

I have a sr22 and as much as I love the gun I think a Ruger single six is a drop dead reliable hand gun. I have two both 3 screw guns, one SS steel 9" barrel and a 5" or 6" barrel on the other. No mags, no failure to feeds just a plain old six shooter that can run just about any .22 made.

Jason.

I have a sr22 and as much as I love the gun I think a Ruger single six is a drop dead reliable hand gun. I have two both 3 screw guns, one SS steel 9" barrel and a 5" or 6" barrel on the other. No mags, no failure to feeds just a plain old six shooter that can run just about any .22 made.

Jason.

No doubt, but a SA revolver that you reload one round at a time?

No doubt, but a SA revolver that you reload one round at a time?

This is a BOB gun not his primary weapon. Maybe I see what he is asking in a different light, I thought he wanted a gun that was for his bug out as a survival gun, like hunting with and of course a back up but not primary. If its to ward off herds of "zombies" then yes a slow loading revolver is not a choice of weapon along with the wrong caliber.
But to use a single six as a back up .22 gun stashed in a BOB or a walk home pack as a small game and two legged game if needed I could see that.

Jason.

Last edited:
A Single Six is a fine gun, but I wouldn't for the following reasons:

1. Unload one chamber at a time.
2. Reload one chamber at a time.
3. Single action only.
4. Too big to conceal.

It beats the hell out of not having a gun, but I wouldn't buy one to put in a BOB. Then again, I wouldn't want to hunt squirrel with an SR22 either and the Single Six can be fed anything, including .22 Mag with the other cylinder. Can I change my vote to both?

Cabelas had a Savage 64f on sale the other day for $99... they were sold out. That would have been perfect.
I just want something dependable if the SHTF and I dont have my EDC on me. A heritage rough rider would be good too but I dont think I'll ever find one in MA.

What is the purpose of this gun? defense? small game hunting? pocket pistol sounds like defense, but 22lr sounds like small game, especially when your talking possibly a rifle.

What is the purpose of this gun? defense? small game hunting? pocket pistol sounds like defense, but 22lr sounds like small game, especially when your talking possibly a rifle.

Lightweight firearm for small game hunting and, if necessary, self defense. Primarily it would be something that could potentially save my life in an emergency survival situation.

It does take standard 10/22 magazines... Good Luck Finding the Charger Pistol in Massachusetts...
The Charger pistol is illegal in MA. It falls under the retarded "assault weapon" laws in MA. It is a semiautomatic and accepts a detachable magazine that attaches outside of the pistol grip and has an unloaded weight > 50 ounces. Having said that, I sure wouldn't want to tote one around. They're bulky and awkward. If the firearm needs to be a .22 for some reason, the SR22 would probably be a reasonable choice. I'd go with a good 357 revolver like the GP100 or a 686. You can use them for hunting little critters with light loads or serious self-defense with full power stuff.

I carry a double stack 1911 nearly every time I leave the house. I currently have 2 extra mags for it and extra rounds in my bob. I need something for longer ranges and potentially hunting small game. But it has to be lightweight. I had considered a mossberg 500 but the gun and ammo added way too much weight to the pack(20lbs). There is a pretty good chance I'll find a camo 10/22 under the xmas tree this year. that would be perfect. A hi-point carbine might work as well. I will post again after xmas with what I ended up getting.

I vote for always carrying your weapon of choice, not leaving it in the bag. I agree with the person who thought that was a bad idea. have a couple of extra mags in the bag,and as much ammo as you want, but have the firearm on your person. if the SHTF, somebody is sure to steal your bag or backpack, whether they have to break a window, or even pry the trunk open looking for supplies. That said, have a lightweight, compact semi-auto that both husband and wife can handle. in our case, it's a Walther p22 that the wife especially likes. If we had to evacuate our home, we'd also grab the 10/22 rifle, with its extra mags, and at least one ammo can, more if we could. If you have 2 firearms, in this situation it just makes sense for them to take the same ammo, in my oppion. Your results may vary. . .

I keep thinking I should get a BOB type gun and will probably go with the Ruger 10/22 Takedown.

A few bucks for a couple VQ parts (or even just the trigger) and you've got yourself a sweet rifle. I've got a scope that came with mine and unfortunately it has to be removed to fit in the bag, but it seems to hold zero pretty well. If it didn't come with a scope I probably would have added a red dot and called it a day.

Mine is camo and it came in a brown case with a black logo (I think), which is way less conspicuous than the black case with red logo. Just something to consider. Although a Sharpie would make short work of that red logo.

I vote for always carrying your weapon of choice, not leaving it in the bag. I agree with the person who thought that was a bad idea. have a couple of extra mags in the bag,and as much ammo as you want, but have the firearm on your person. if the SHTF, somebody is sure to steal your bag or backpack, whether they have to break a window, or even pry the trunk open looking for supplies. That said, have a lightweight, compact semi-auto that both husband and wife can handle. in our case, it's a Walther p22 that the wife especially likes. If we had to evacuate our home, we'd also grab the 10/22 rifle, with its extra mags, and at least one ammo can, more if we could. If you have 2 firearms, in this situation it just makes sense for them to take the same ammo, in my oppion. Your results may vary. . .

This. I think it's fun to find an excuse to buy this or that, but to be realistic, if things are so bad I have to bail out of my house, and I have time to grab a bag hidden somewhere (as it should be if it's got a firearm in it), I'm grabbing my AR and a solid handgun, if I'm not wearing one already.

A Takedown is an awesome choice though to fit in the bag.

I checked out a few rimfire rifles and settled on the mossberg blaze. It's very lightweight, has a good reputation for reliability, and only cost $160. I'll be adding a cantilever rail and a red dot soon.
Thanks all for the input.

I've never heard of them. It looks like a cross between a Ruger 10/22 and 15/22. Let us know how it runs and how you like it.

Back
Top Bottom