• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boating question

Since there's gotta be some boat people here, I need some help with a question.

Ed and I got an 8 ft. dingy with an electric motor (not exactly John Kerry's boat, but that's okay [smile]). I know it has to be registered, but how do we go about doing that?

Also, I know we need life preservers, but what else? Is there a good web site that lists all the stuff we need?

Thanks. [smile]

BOATS UNDER 14' - DOCUMENTS REQUIRED:

1. Bill of Sale (name and address of seller).
2. Proof of payment of sales tax (ST-6, ST-6E, or Bill of Sale). Note: To pay your sales tax online, visit the Department of Revenue website at https://wfb.dor.state.ma.us/WebFile/WSI/Public/WebForms/ST6/RecreationTaxDefault.aspx
3. Pencil tracing of hull ID number (serial number). ***
4. Required fees - (See fee schedule below)
5. Properly completed and signed application.

If a new boat is purchased from a registered boat dealer or department store, a copy of the "Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin" is required.

If this is a used boat and it does not have a hull ID you will need to contact an EPO and have them come out and inspect it and they will assign a number.
without it you will not get it registered. Been there done that!

the inspection is a no brainer and doesn't cost anything.

you will need a signal (whistle is okay) and lights if you go out after dark.
and of course flotation for everyone in it. you will also have to display the numbers and sticker on the hull.

from http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dle/instructionspage.htm#Boat

This is from the course work I did in 2000. You can verify all this online doing a search on boating courses.....

Equipment for your boat:

Registration (yes, this is considered equipment)

Proper display of registration numbers on hull (so is this)

Less than 20' long require a capacity plate

Fire extinguisher

PFDs or personal floatation devices (life jackets that meet the weight requirements of each passenger)

Throwable (seat cushion or life ring)

Sound device (horn, whistle, air horn)

Visual distress signal or flares (less than 16 feet must carry VSD's at night or during other conditions as posted in the regs) A mirror can be used on a sunny day. A powerful flashlight is always a good thing to have aboard.

Don't forget lines and fenders...

Not required but recommended:

Under 16 feet

Secondary form of propulsion: paddle or oar or a spare trolling motor

first aid kit

VHF radio

Anchor

tools and spare parts

dewatering device: electric bildge pump, bucket or hand operated pump...small cooler..

Hope this helps...

there are trailer considerations too...

A good coast guard auxilliary coourse is always a good idea....

Happy Boating!!!

I am interested in the info as well. Do you need to register all boats with motors (gas/electric) or just gas. I thought if it just had an electric trolling motor it didn't have to be registered. Also, when you register the boat does it include the trailer? I would think not considering the low prices on the website.

I am interested in the info as well. Do you need to register all boats with motors (gas/electric) or just gas. I thought if it just had an electric trolling motor it didn't have to be registered. Also, when you register the boat does it include the trailer? I would think not considering the low prices on the website.

Trailer is a separate registration done at the RMV where you register your car. Boats are done on Causeway Street....see the link in Wildweasle's post.

Call the number and they can tell you the specifics of each vessle and what the registration requirements are.

any vessel powered by any type of mechanical means must be registered.
you may contact the boston office at 617 626 1610
any and all boat, snowmobile and atv accidents must be reported to the Environmental Police at 800 632 8075

Is something like my little puddle jumper allowed in Taxachusetts ?

73SangerOnLake.jpg

Puddle jumper. !!7?

Just register the boat in new hampshire at. Any ton hall or tackle shop

No tax no titles. No bullshit

funny

Its an 8ft. dinghy, i understand you have to comply, i've owned 4 boats
over the years. but the items you list will only contribute to the sinking
of the boat. How about a forward rocket laucher.

JimB

JimB

[laugh2][laugh2]
To funny!

JimB

I think you're gonna need a bigger boat!!!!

any vessel powered by any type of mechanical means must be registered.
you may contact the boston office at 617 626 1610
any and all boat, snowmobile and atv accidents must be reported to the Environmental Police at 800 632 8075

Thanks Talon. Out of curiosity...the Boston office of what? The DMV? or the State? Who? [grin]

Hi Lynne,

That number is for the Boston Headquarters of the Massachusetts Environmental Police - Boat, Recreational Vehicle (ATV non public way vehicle) and Snowmobile Registration Office. There are other satellite offices located throughout the Commonweatlh. I believe Mrs. Wildweasel has posted the link to all the offices in the previous post. Boston actually has a number of reps dedicated to the phone bank, whereas the other offices just have the CSR's at the windows. If you need to go in person they are on the 1st floor of 251 Causeway street directly across from the VA.

I hope that helps.

-John

One other thought, Any vessel is allowed into the Commonwealth, as no boats are "banned". However, towns can and do create by-laws that may restrict a vessel to size, engine type, max horsepower, and so on. It best to check with the town regarding by laws for the bodies of water contained within the jurisdiction of same. The state also has regulations on reservoirs such as the Quabbin.
Here is a link for a summary of boating laws: http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dle/boatinglawsummary.htm

Here is a link for the boating safety book
http://www.boat-ed.com/ma/handbook/

For more information: http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dle/boatrvsafe.htm

For the Environmental Police Web Site:http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dle/

Submitted for your review,

-John

Back
Top Bottom