• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Boat Knife ideas

Welder1

NES Member
I’m in search of a boat knife. Looking for some help. I’d love something one hand opening. Partially serrated. Wouldn’t mind a marlin spike. I have in mind a buck 112 part serrated with a pocket clip. Main thing is a fast deploy. Curious to hear what people have found to work.

I assume this is for safety and not filleting? Titanium, fixed blade, one hand release sheath, divers knife. Keep the marlin spike as a separate tool. How often do you use really use one? Run you about $150. Will last forever. There are a few comparable ones on the market..

I'd recommend a Spyderco curved and fully serrated blade, at least like their $43 Hawkbill Byrd blade - see photo. A straight, non-serrated blade will NOT cut a heavy wet line, rode, or lobster pot warp - TRUST me on that.

Point is, you may not need to cut such a line, but in the marine environment, when you want to cut something, especially one handed ... you need to RIP through it, or saw through it, image.jpeg hence the curved/serrated blade.

Last edited:
I carried a Myerchin for years while sailing, good knife, I'll probably hand it down to my son. Skip the pocket clip, you will inevitably get it hung up on something and it will pop out of your pocket and go over the side. I made a lanyard for it and kept it tied off to my belt loop.

The have a serrated model as well.

Amazon product ASIN B0090PMUH2View: https://www.amazon.com/Myerchin-Knife-TF377-Titanium-Generation/dp/B0090PMUH2/ref=mp_s_a_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=Myerchin+Knives&qid=1625798780&sr=8-16

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the rescue style knives. The seat belt cutters are great if you have to get a blade in between lines or rope that are wrapped tight around your skin.

I just returned a Spyderco Atlantic Salt after a TDY. Out of all the knives out there, it was by far the worst at cutting lines.. to the point that people were commenting on how crappy it was. The best performing knife I saw was one of the outdoor edge knock offs. I ended up getting an outdoor edge 3.5“ EDC for line handling. One downside with replacement blade knives is that if you use it on fish it’ll gunk up.

West marine sells a marlin spike folder for $30 that is decent for its price after you sharpen it. My only complaint is the blade will fold in on the lanyard loop and chip the tip.

I carried a Myerchin for years while sailing, good knife, I'll probably hand it down to my son. Skip the pocket clip, you will inevitably get it hung up on something and it will pop out of your pocket and go over the side. I made a lanyard for it and kept it tied off to my belt loop.

The have a serrated model as well.

Amazon product ASIN B0090PMUH2View: https://www.amazon.com/Myerchin-Knife-TF377-Titanium-Generation/dp/B0090PMUH2/ref=mp_s_a_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=Myerchin+Knives&qid=1625798780&sr=8-16

Camillus boat knife. Liner lock for a fairly quick deployment. View attachment 500376
If you're serious, Myerchin or Camillus. Marlin spike for unf***ing seized knots/shackles/tackle, etc. I have 4 Myerchins and 4 Camillus. All of the Camillus were issued to me as well as one of the Myerchins. I pass on the Camillus for the Myerchin every time underway.

The Myerchins take an absolute BEATING. I have used mine as a friggen hammer for pushing sail needles through stubborn line splices for whippings and stitchings.

myerchin.jpg

Look at you with your fancy work......

I have one of the newer titanium ones I use for hiking. I bought my son one of the crew style ones with the red light in it - I don't think they sell those anymore. I have one as well. I friggen love Myerchin knives. When I was deck force supply at Grand Isle, I must have bought 100 of the first gen captain knives in serrated and standard blades. Everyone in deck force got them.

Look at you with your fancy work......

I have one of the newer titanium ones I use for hiking. I bought my son one of the crew style ones with the red light in it - I don't think they sell those anymore. I have one as well. I friggen love Myerchin knives. When I was deck force supply at Grand Isle, I must have bought 100 of the first gen captain knives in serrated and standard blades. Everyone in deck force got them.
I float tested a few too many pocket clip knives of various brands and the old salt deck chief we had at the time carried one just like this on a lanyard. I beat the snot out of this knife. Used the knife edge as a screw driver, spike as pry bar, it served me well. Looking at it now, I should clean the edge and blade up a little, but there are a lot of miles on it and I don't want to take the character away from it.

The fancy work, well, you know how it is. Some of my longer fishing trips yielded a LOT of fancy work in my shop.

When I had my saltwater boat I always had a couple of Mora's on board. Simple, easy access, cheap and durable.

If you're serious, Myerchin or Camillus. Marlin spike for unf***ing seized knots/shackles/tackle, etc. I have 4 Myerchins and 4 Camillus. All of the Camillus were issued to me as well as one of the Myerchins. I pass on the Camillus for the Myerchin every time underway.

The Myerchins take an absolute BEATING. I have used mine as a friggen hammer for pushing sail needles through stubborn line splices for whippings and stitchings.

What's with the wimpy lanyard loop on the new ones... if you can even call that ring a lanyard loop.

So after looking at all responses and doing some other reason I kind of shifted gears. I’m thinking this is not a place for a compromise. This is a task specific tool. I’m going to continue to run my EDC knife as I would always. Either a Benchmade or Kershaw. I’m familiar and proficient with with as I’ve been running them for awhile. I am going to mount a Myerchin fixed blade and marlin spike combo on the wall next to the cabin door. These would be available for fast deploy and if needed could be worn on belt. Love to hear opinions

Attachments

• 9B7CE562-DB31-480A-80A2-219447E39E8B.png
    9B7CE562-DB31-480A-80A2-219447E39E8B.png
    302.3 KB · Views: 12
Here is a couple pics of the new setup. Very pleased with the quality. Also very affordable. I can see myself ending up with a bunch of there products. This is obviously a very purpose built knife and I think it’s well thought out.

Attachments

• E1C0EF61-51DC-4371-8825-77CD07DC2244.jpeg
    E1C0EF61-51DC-4371-8825-77CD07DC2244.jpeg
    308.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 4E3D9614-209B-4F0F-90D2-536FF18B732B.jpeg
    4E3D9614-209B-4F0F-90D2-536FF18B732B.jpeg
    387.9 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom