bnz43 SSZA4 RC resto finally done, w/ range report

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Nearly three years ago, I picked up this bnz43 SSZA4 RC K98. After several mis-steps, I finally got a correct stock from Mario in Norway and a correct WaA77/Radom bolt from a Gunboards member. So today, the restoration is finally complete.

The stock has that 'used' look and has minimal varnish on it, so I decided to leave it alone save for a wipe down with window cleaner and a paper towel. The stock has this compelling smell; as in an old barn, mill, or antique furniture. The rifle's original serial is 8301, bolt 1342h, and stock 3742. Stock and bands have no proofs whatsoever, laminated, red glue, cupped buttplate, and large take down disk, and so is correct for a SS contract rifle. There are no markings anywhere on the stock, even under the butt plate. The serial is penciled onto the channel and handguard. The action settled in the best of any resto project; the trigger screws fitted in snugly and correctly within 1-2mm. Bore is good and a great shooter. Original sling, frosch marked WaA101, Auwaerter or Koffer Lederwarenfabrik, Stuttgart.

There is only one non Steyr/Radom marked part; the sight slide, WaA1, Gustloffwerke.

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

034.jpg

MS

Last edited:
Went to the range in Holbrook with a Gunboards member. Shot the '16 Simson and the '43 bnz. It was an off day, overcast and dreary there, but partly sunny in Plymouth. The range was actually in meters. My shooting was off; it took a while for me to find out where my strikes were. Turns out windage is perfect, but shoots very high. The new bolt was very stiff; it took about 30 rounds for everything to loosen up and cycle smoothly. I'll take it out again on my next range trip - I know I can do better.

PM

100 meters, '55 and '56 Yugo, 22# Wolff spring, seated, no rest.

006-3.jpg

Nice rifle. I know what you mean about the compelling smell. I've told my wife that if she can find a perfume that matches that wonderful combination of old wood, steel, and oil, I'd be putty in her hands.

Thanks for sharing!

Chris

Nice rifle. I know what you mean about the compelling smell. I've told my wife that if she can find a perfume that matches that wonderful combination of old wood, steel, and oil, I'd be putty in her hands.

Thanks for sharing!

Chris

A little Hoppes No. 9 behind each ear.... Hell ya!

Back
Top Bottom