• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

BMW starting problem

I have a 2007 328XI.
I thought the battery was going dead because the motor was turning slower and slower with every start. I replaced the battery this morning and no improvement. Now it wont even turn over enough to start.
I hooked a charger up and verified the battery is fully charged. The dealership charges outrageous money for anything on this car. Anyone have ideas on what could be wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Well if you can't figure it out, or it's a professional type of fix, check out Boston Motor Werks in Belmont. The guy who runs the shop used to be a mechanic at BMW. I hear great things. He could probably do an analysis to see what the issue is.

If with a full charge it still turns over slow you either have a bad starter or a bad ground..If you have a pair or jumper cables attach one end right to a mounting bolt on the starter and the other end to a good ground...Do the same with the other lead of the jumper cable...block to good ground

It clicks and the lights go dim. Battery has 12.3 volts standing. I am home alone and cant read the voltage while trying to start it. I will try when my son gets home in 30 minutes or so.

- - - Updated - - -

If with a full charge it still turns over slow you either have a bad starter or a bad ground..If you have a pair or jumper cables attach one end right to a mounting bolt on the starter and the other end to a good ground...Do the same with the other lead of the jumper cable...block to good ground
I will give it a try.

- - - Updated - - -

Well if you can't figure it out, or it's a professional type of fix, check out Boston Motor Werks in Belmont. The guy who runs the shop used to be a mechanic at BMW. I hear great things. He could probably do an analysis to see what the issue is.

Thanks, I might have to try them out

check:

battery connections
battery cables
ground connection
power to starter & its connection
starter

if you can located the starter and give it a couple love taps with a ball peen hammer (or whatever) sometimes you can get a couple more starts out of it. seriously, it knocks the carbon off the motor brushes, etc.

Last edited:
It sounds like your starter motor shit the bed. It was spinning slower and slower as the motor died. Slim chance that it could be an intermittent ground at the starter since those contacts do corrode a lot. Look at where the hot wire from the battery connects to the starter. This will be the thick wire not the small signal wire. If it looks badly corroded disconnect the battery. Then disconnect the wire from the starter and clean up the contacts. Put it back together and see if it stars.

Sometimes rapping the starter's body, not the solenoid, with a hammer or tire iron, whatever you can get to it with, will cause it to start a few more times. If you want to try that. Have your kid turn the key as you rap on the starter. If it starts you have confirmed that the starter is the problem.

If when you turn the key you hear a click and nothing else happens. Then then you are hearing the solenoid engage and send power to the motor. If you don't hear a click or it clicks repeatedly it could be a bad solenoid or ground issue at the solenoid. If you want to eliminate the solenoid as a possibility. Turn the key to the run position. Then use a screwdriver to short across the solenoid to send power directly from the battery to the starter motor. If when you do that the starter spins and the car starts, then the solenoid is the problem. If the starter still doesn't spin then the starter is the problem.

192750_Starter02ExplorerFig01_1.jpg

If you look at the pic above. Terminal B is where the wire from the battery will be. Terminal M is where power leaves the solenoid and enters the starter. These are the 2 points you want to short across. It bypasses the solenoid and powers the starter directly. Just cross them for a moment. It will spark, don't be afraid. [smile] You will know immediately if the starter turns. If the key is in the on position the car will start.

Sorry if this is over simplified but I have know idea what you do or don't know about cars.

I can't stress this part enough, Be careful!! Make sure you are well clear of the fans, belts or any other parts that can rip your hand off if/when the car starts. Also, if the car starts, don't flinch and smack your forehead on the subframe. I've seen it happen. Hysterical as it is, it's not fun. [laugh]

If you want to talk about it PM me for my phone number.

-Chad

Just looked up how to replace a starter. Not easy, but doable. BMWs are notorious for giving you the smallest working space possible. Took my dad and I three days to replace a water pump and thermostat. At one point, we were turning a bolt 1mm at a time just to get it in and out. What should take seconds took us half an hour. We were quoted at $2100 but did the job for $700ish (cost of parts). Was it worth it? Maybe. Lots of swearing, throwing stuff, and walking away.

how far are you from Agawam ma. buddy of mine has a shop there that can do the work for cheap. if it doesn't start, he has a trailer and can pick it up. I think he does not charge to pick it up. if he does, its next to nothing. $40 max for pickup if he does charge

I have a 2007 328XI.
I thought the battery was going dead because the motor was turning slower and slower with every start. I replaced the battery this morning and no improvement. Now it wont even turn over enough to start.
I hooked a charger up and verified the battery is fully charged. The dealership charges outrageous money for anything on this car. Anyone have ideas on what could be wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

I think your issue is you bought a BMW [wink]

But in all seriousness every hit on the go to issues. Most likely something deeper youd need a professional to dig into.

Sounds like you know what you are talking about. Thanks for the info. I think I will just have it towed tomorrow. It seems like every time I try to save a few bucks I screw something up and have to pat more in the end.
It sounds like your starter motor shit the bed. It was spinning slower and slower as the motor died. Slim chance that it could be an intermittent ground at the starter since those contacts do corrode a lot. Look at where the hot wire from the battery connects to the starter. This will be the thick wire not the small signal wire. If it looks badly corroded disconnect the battery. Then disconnect the wire from the starter and clean up the contacts. Put it back together and see if it stars.

Sometimes rapping the starter's body, not the solenoid, with a hammer or tire iron, whatever you can get to it with, will cause it to start a few more times. If you want to try that. Have your kid turn the key as you rap on the starter. If it starts you have confirmed that the starter is the problem.

If when you turn the key you hear a click and nothing else happens. Then then you are hearing the solenoid engage and send power to the motor. If you don't hear a click or it clicks repeatedly it could be a bad solenoid or ground issue at the solenoid. If you want to eliminate the solenoid as a possibility. Turn the key to the run position. Then use a screwdriver to short across the solenoid to send power directly from the battery to the starter motor. If when you do that the starter spins and the car starts, then the solenoid is the problem. If the starter still doesn't spin then the starter is the problem.

192750_Starter02ExplorerFig01_1.jpg

If you look at the pic above. Terminal B is where the wire from the battery will be. Terminal M is where power leaves the solenoid and enters the starter. These are the 2 points you want to short across. It bypasses the solenoid and powers the starter directly. Just cross them for a moment. It will spark, don't be afraid. [smile] You will know immediately if the starter turns. If the key is in the on position the car will start.

Sorry if this is over simplified but I have know idea what you do or don't know about cars.

I can't stress this part enough, Be careful!! Make sure you are well clear of the fans, belts or any other parts that can rip your hand off if/when the car starts. Also, if the car starts, don't flinch and smack your forehead on the subframe. I've seen it happen. Hysterical as it is, it's not fun. [laugh]

If you want to talk about it PM me for my phone number.

-Chad

- - - Updated - - -

This is the first and LAST BMW I will ever own.

Just looked up how to replace a starter. Not easy, but doable. BMWs are notorious for giving you the smallest working space possible. Took my dad and I three days to replace a water pump and thermostat. At one point, we were turning a bolt 1mm at a time just to get it in and out. What should take seconds took us half an hour. We were quoted at $2100 but did the job for $700ish (cost of parts). Was it worth it? Maybe. Lots of swearing, throwing stuff, and walking away.

And people pay a premium for this German "Engineering"...Crazy world.
Do I like to drive BMW's, yes; work on them, hell no.

I had my water pump replaced a few months ago. I think it was around $1400. If I had changed it myself I would have done the swearing and throwing things for sure.

Do you have the factory manual? ... the one that's like 10 volumes of war and peace sized?

One thing I have to say about BMWs, they are easy as long as you do exactly what the manual says. I tried to replace a ****ing turn-signal light bulb ... I danced around the car like a ****ing monkey trying to figure out exactly how to do it and what fantastic tools I need. Then I read the manual and it looks like there is an access panel in the wheel well. Took 2 mins tops to do.

... but seriously, a ****ing access panel in the ****ing wheel well?

germans.jpg

with a lot of modern cars, changing little things without a lift is like performing appendicitis through an *******. Hondas, Toyota, Chevys ... ****, I wish I had my 80's crown Vic back. I can stash 10 dead bodies around the v8 motor under the hood.

Last edited:
I have a 2007 328XI.

check for a parasitic draw. my e36 has had battery draw issues for the past 2 years, but only really affects it during the winter. When I leave the battery connected, within 3 days, dead. disconnect it at night and reconnect it in the morning though, turns right over; no hesitation.

Either the starter is kaput, or you have a bad ground. Cheapest thing to check first is the battery to ground connection.

It clicks and the lights go dim. Battery has 12.3 volts standing.

12.3 v is not a fully charged battery. That's about 60%. It should be at 12.65 or 12.7 full. It could still be the starter motor, but don't rule out the battery. A weak battery in the cold and possibly with a loose or corroded contact will lead to your no start condition.

General Discussion - talking about BMW car starting problems. Here I thought we had our next car for the car shoot. Nope.

In other news - have you tried jumping it? Eliminating that you have a lack of juice. Nothing better than having a second car, revving, cranking out some powah. Make sure the lights are off on your car to help reduce the draw.

Last edited:
I have a 2007 328XI.

Starter

Easy stuff first.

Once the battery is ruled out, look at the battery cables. If they have corrosion, the ground loop is compromised, and the starter does not get full voltage.

If the battery is new and the lights dim when you are trying to crank it, most likely you need a starter motor. You said the battery is new which would have been my other thought. Those BMW's had a lot of issues with corrosion where the starter grounds to teh block. They actually used aluminum bolts to try to combat this. Changing that starter is about a 3 hour job for an experienced mechanic, it involves pulling the intake manifold to gain access to the starter. Once you have access the starter can be removed and bench tested.

Back
Top Bottom