• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bluing a receiver ?

Sooooo. long story short I was trying to deal with some pitting on the receiver of my scattergun and managed to remove a great deal of the factory bluing.

It's my field gun I've owned for probably 30 years. Its no safe queen and shows the scars of countless miles in the woods and fields. That's said I also use her at the range and wouldn't mind restoring the bluing on the receiver and tube and bringing back some of her former beauty.
I'm wondering if any of you have used cold bluing with any success, or have a recommended shop that does hot bluing near the Cape. Not looking for a complete restoration but Id like to shine her up a bit without taking out a second mortgage or making her look worse.
What say ye?

[pics]cold blueing is a waste of time. You can try it results can be decent.

Now if you still have pitting and scratches re blueing will look like you just reblued a pitted and scratch receiver. Since its field gun consider parkerizing?

Not sure if hes still active but

Mikes Custom Guns
Licensee Name: Pigney, Michael J; Pigney, Keith D
1498 Somerset Ave
Taunton, MA 02780
Phone: 508-821-7621

Rust blue in natick ma also does well.

I have several guns I plan to use in learning to blue "old school". They're old and no real value so if I screw it up it doesn't matter. There are some books and web articles on the topic.
i did the same many years ago. Long before digital camera and internet was in my life so I have no pics.
For cold blue Brownells Oxpho Blue works well.
caswell plating kits have done well by me.
I might try this next project
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="How To Use Caswell Black Oxide To Blacken Steel Parts - YouTube" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have several guns I plan to use in learning to blue "old school". They're old and no real value so if I screw it up it doesn't matter. There are some books and web articles on the topic.

My dad had a Luger, that had no real value (ca. 1950?). The barrel had more waved that Boston Harbor on a windy day.

[laugh]

just make sure that it really is a beater. [shocked]

My dad had a Luger, that had no real value (ca. 1950?). The barrel had more waved that Boston Harbor on a windy day.

[laugh]

just make sure that it really is a beater. [shocked]

I have a couple of "Sears" shotguns that are good candidates. If it works out well I've got a Bufalo .25 pistol - it's the cutest little thing. Even @minininjer would be able to hold it. Worth a couple hundred bucks but it doesn't have any historical significance.

As for the OP, what the worst that could happen? It doesn't look so great and you let it wear again.

There are techniques you can use to restore pitted metal in old auto bodywork. (leading for instance). Can that sort of restoration be done with guns?

Another potential option. I’m assuming the gun is steel. Slow rust blue it yourself. If one has the patience and follows the directions, a very nice result can be obtained for a small investment.

I have a couple of "Sears" shotguns that are good candidates. If it works out well I've got a Bufalo .25 pistol - it's the cutest little thing. Even @minininjer would be able to hold it. Worth a couple hundred bucks but it doesn't have any historical significance.

As for the OP, what the worst that could happen? It doesn't look so great and you let it wear again.

There are techniques you can use to restore pitted metal in old auto bodywork. (leading for instance). Can that sort of restoration be done with guns?
You can but often stand out like a sore thumb when trying to blue as the different metals take on the chemicals different.
Shit if its a field gun and you still use it often , rattle can and cure with heat gun

Back
Top Bottom