Blue Book Rifle Value Help

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Looking for someone who has access to the Blue Book of Gun Values to help me find their value on a particular rifle.

If you're selling, decide what you want for it, add 20%, and come down in steps until it's gone.

That's what I am trying to do, establish a starting point. Or reference point if it makes some sense.

I want as much as possible.

+1 for completed gunbroker transactions. This is an extremely volatile market - any published value data is going to not be applicable to today's gun values or economic conditions. Inflation is a thing, too.

What kind of gun are you trying to sell?

Last time went into a shop to sell, they told me book was 550 and I think it was 25 or 30% off that. That sounded way to low for a new 1911 in this market, so I passed. As I walked out I noticed the same gun, same condition (new, but technically used because on consignment) for 950. Apparently "Book" doesn't account for the current demand.

Look what they are actually selling for on Gunbroker.

The FFL I am thinking of dealing with always seems to go to the Blue Book for his starting price. I would like to know what that is in advance.
Almost every gun store for trade at best has given me 50% of bluebook value. Depends on what it is.
10yrs ago figure what you paid add a covid or there going to be banned up charge and see what happens.
Gun broker is all over the place on some items depends on when it was posted and how.

Almost every gun store for trade at best has given me 50% of bluebook value. Depends on what it is.
10yrs ago figure what you paid add a covid or there going to be banned up charge and see what happens.
Gun broker is all over the place on some items depends on when it was posted and how.

Gunbroker isn't perfect but it provides a spread of values. Obviously, each gun is different in terms of condition, accessories, variants, etc.

The best way to sell a gun is to list it as a penny auction. That'll guarantee a quick sale. That's literally the market deciding the gun's value because buyers will stop bidding at what they think is fair market value.

Last time went into a shop to sell, they told me book was 550 and I think it was 25 or 30% off that. That sounded way to low for a new 1911 in this market, so I passed. As I walked out I noticed the same gun, same condition (new, but technically used because on consignment) for 950. Apparently "Book" doesn't account for the current demand.

Look what they are actually selling for on Gunbroker.
Current demand is not going to help much with trade your lucky to get 50% of what ever hes selling the same gun for.
Kittery trading of all places has given me the best trade value twards purchase.
i only "lost" $100 on my SW PC 1911 trade and picked up a citori gold trap for $1500 $800 less than any other place.

The problem with selling to a dealer, is that they have to pay you less than market, because they have to sell it at market.

Why are you going the dealer route, instead of private sale?

Who said that I am trying to get a dealer to buy it? Ever hear of consignment?

I disagree on using GB as a pricing guide. Most of what I've sold on GB went for WAY more than than it should.
The last gun I sold was a used S&W 351 PD that went for about $100 more than MSRP.
No long before that I sold Browning 1885 high wall in 45/70. There was a very active bidding war that ended at $1350! I would have been happy with $650 which is what I paid.

Gunbroker isn't perfect but it provides a spread of values. Obviously, each gun is different in terms of condition, accessories, variants, etc.

The best way to sell a gun is to list it as a penny auction. That'll guarantee a quick sale. That's literally the market deciding the gun's value because buyers will stop bidding at what they think is fair market value.

This is the key. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a gun on Gunbroker or personal sale that is a basic run of the mill gun for sale because the highest one on Gunbroker was some rare example but people think if one sells for an astronomical price they are all worth that.
Also look at completed listing, not what people try to sell it for, but what it actually sells for.

I disagree on using GB as a pricing guide. Most of what I've sold on GB went for WAY more than than it should.
The last gun I sold was a used S&W 351 PD that went for about $100 more than MSRP.
No long before that I sold Browning 1885 high wall in 45/70. There was a very active bidding war that ended at $1350! I would have been happy with $650 which is what I paid.

Dude....if you have a gun that sells for $X, then that's what it should sell for. The issue is perceived value. There is no "Real" price for a given item, just a consensus of opinion.

A few years back, I was selling a repro Brown Bess musket at a gun show. I didn't have to sell it, so I put a sky-high price, and would entertain offers. One guy said the frizzen was too rough; another that it was too smooth. One guy said that the trigger pull was "bad" (WTF? Was he using it for Gallery Pistol? [laugh]). All said my price was too high. After the first rush of shoppers, one guy sees it and says, "I'll take it!" No negotiation, just Dead White Guys and off he went. We both did a happy dance. I guess my sky-high price was not high enough.

Oh.....did you refund the overpayments on the Smith and .45/70? [wink]

If you can buy a certain gun for $450 just about anywhere why on earth would someone pay close to $700 plus shipping on GB? This seems to happen on GB all the time. I've built most of my gun collection by buying locally at normal prices and then selling on GB for a ridiculous profit.
I'm thankful that folks are willing to fork out foolish amounts of money on GB but for that reason its not really an accurate pricing guide. On the other hand I think the blue book way under values most guns.

also where som
If you can buy a certain gun for $450 just about anywhere why on earth would someone pay close to $700 plus shipping on GB? This seems to happen on GB all the time. I've built most of my gun collection by buying locally at normal prices and then selling on GB for a ridiculous profit.
I'm thankful that folks are willing to fork out foolish amounts of money on GB but for that reason its not really an accurate pricing guide. On the other hand I think the blue book way under values most guns.
some bidders just need to win

Who said that I am trying to get a dealer to buy it? Ever hear of consignment?
What does he want. Lowest I have put something on consignment for was 15%
I only went consignment because I did not want to deal with shipping or dealing with meet ups.
I used another dealer who wanted 25% after a week I went in and said I want to pull it. He wanted to charge me $25 for the transfer back to me! This was not in our agreement and the little chicken scratch receipt contract mentioned nothing about transfer fees if it did not sell.

Your rifle is a easy sell. List it here for what tou want , should go quick

Back
Top Bottom