Bloomberg testifying before Congress this AM

Daniel Roberts of the FBI says the current NICS already accesses a TSDB (Terrorist Screening Database).

Eileen Larence (GAO), Homeland Security & Justice Director says that a hit on the watch list alone doesn't currently result in a disqualification. An additional hit for an immigration violation or a criminal conviction, is required.

Last edited:
Oh man. The tenor of this is awful. We're doomed. These guys are totally lying over and over, and nobody is challenging them on it. Look for legislation to close the "Terror Gap" soon.

Terror gap? What about the mine shaft gap?

Aaron Titus, Liberty Coalition argues that this bill purports to target terrorists, but will amount to a national gun registry and that the bill should be renamed the National Gun Registry Act!

Wow!

EXCELLENT! He argues that if you can't throw people in jail for being on the Watch List, you can't revoke their 2nd Amendment rights either!

He says that the only burden on the AG is to prove that the person is on the watch list and then....APPEAL OVER!

Terror watch lists lack any element of due process! Suspicion is not a conviction!

This bill is unconstitutional and he proposes rejection of it!

Last edited:
It sounds from what Lieberman is saying that they want the ability to tell whether a terrorist under suspicion has or has not attempted to buy a gun.

That certainly would have to amount to a national registry of all purchases. I'm trying to find out more about what Aaron Titus meant by the national registry and look forward to his Q&A (not up yet).

Sand Jo MacArthur, LAPD Asst. Chief, Office of Amin. Services, says they are already tracking gun and ammo purchases and that has helped them 'flag' people based on what they've purchased. She says the lists are very valuable against terrorism and general crime.

Last edited:
If this ever makes it to "real threat" status, this will be a relevance test for the NRA. If they don't stand up for us here, then they really are completely and utterly worthless.

-Mike

I just got called away from the TV for a few minutes and now they're adjouned. What'd I miss?!!

I was able to watch but not hear for this time. Titus never got a single question!!!

Here's a link to the Liberty Coalition with comments on Titus's appearance...

LINK

I have to go there and do some reading...

One of my favorite sentences so far...
In other words, S.1317 allows the Attorney General to unilaterally revoke a person's Second Amendment Right to Bear Arms by a bald assertion of terrorist inclinations, founded on "suspicion" and "reasonable belief," thus rendering the notion of a citizen's right to appeal illusory and impotent.

More good stuff...
The existing lists upon which NICS draws are fundamentally different from terror watch lists. The NICS system already checks the background of gun purchasers against lists of "felons, fugitives, unlawful drug users, and aliens illegally or unlawfully in the United States." What makes these lists effective is that they are based on appropriate and transparent legal standards of due process. In theory, denying a firearm to a person who appears on a list of "convicted terrorists" would not violate due process. However, revoking Second Amendment rights based solely on a list of "suspected terrorists" certainly does violate due process.

In January 2005 the most updated version of the Terrorist Screening Database (TSDB) had 237,615 active records, representing approximately 170,000 unique individuals. By 2009 that number had grown to 1.1 million identities and approximately 400,000 unique individuals. The lack of transparency leaves the public to wonder who these people might be, whether one out of every 750 people in the United States is a suspected terrorist, or whether the drastic increase in the database is due to poor design and over-collection.

Last edited:
I have a man crush on Aaron Titus...

The recent Supreme Court decision on the Second Amendment, District of Columbia v. Heller does not establish a level of scrutiny for evaluating Second Amendment restrictions. However, "The very enumeration of the right takes out of the hands of government – even the Third Branch of Government – the power to decide on a case-by-case basis whether the right is really worth insisting upon." Other enumerated individual rights, such as First Amendment Speech protections are subject to at least intermediate scrutiny, which requires that a restriction on that right be based upon "substantial evidence."
S.1317 would not stand up to intermediate scrutiny, because a mere allegation of a suspicion of terrorist sympathies cannot constitute evidence "substantial" enough to overcome an individual's interest in their Right to Bear Arms.

Here's his take on the national registry...
National Firearms Registry

S.2820, "Preserving Records of Terrorists & Criminal Transactions Act of 2009" ("PROTECT Act of 2009"), makes two changes to federal law. First, it requires officials to retain personal information of gun license applicants who appear on a terror watch list for a minimum of 10 years. Second, and more importantly, S.2820 substantially weakens privacy protections currently built into NICS, creating a defacto National Firearms Registry.
As stated in a 2005 GAO report, "...the purpose of NICS is to determine the lawfulness of proposed gun transactions, not to provide law enforcement agents with intelligence about lawful gun purchases by persons of investigative interest," but S.2820 changes that. The new law states, "If receipt of a firearm would not violate subsection (g) or (n) or State law, the system shall— … not less than 180 days after the transfer is allowed, destroy all records of the system with respect to the call (other than the identifying number and the date the number was assigned) and all records of the system relating to the person or the transfer.

This means that all personal information of each and every law-abiding citizen who purchases a gun will be saved in a government database for an indefinite period of time, and at least 6 months.

S.2820 disingenuously purports to target terrorists, but in fact is designed to be a National Firearms Registry, generating just 200 new records on "suspected terrorists" annually, and more than 14 million new records on law-abiding citizens each year. Once collected, a federal database will retain all personal information, including name, address, social security number (if given), phone number, etc. regarding every legal gun purchase by every law-abiding citizen in the country for at least six months. The information may be used for investigative or other purposes, with no legal requirement to ever delete the information.

Bloomberg testifying before Congress this AM:

Bloomingidiotberg can go choke on a donkey dick.

If even one suspected terrorist buys a gun, we will all die. We must do anything to stop this. We must keep the people safe at any cost.

I say we build a large prison and put the entire population of
the USA in it, that will keep them safe. Except for the Muslims because that would be racist.

Back
Top Bottom