• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Blackpowder Rifle sales to out of state?

I've tried consulting the search feature, and the Google.

I'm looking for a definitive answer on whether I can sell a blackpowder rifle (post 1899) without any "reloading materials" included to a person outside MA, and ship it directly to that person via UPS or USPS. I've got to prospective buyers in "free states" - Georgia and Vermont - but I'm concerned about complying with state laws. From what I understand, according to the Feds this is a non-issue.

Thanks all,

Frizzle

Direct interstate shipment, as you describe, would be fine UNLESS the muzzle loader is one of the few which ATF has defined as a firearm (i.e. because it incorporates a firearm receiver into the design). Examples include Thompson Center Contender and Encore firearms equipped with muzzle loader barrel, a Mossberg 500 with a muzzle loader barrel, an AR-15 fitted with a muzzle loader upper,1st version Savage 10ML rifles, et sim)

Last edited:
Remove the barrel and wrap it separately in bubble wrap in the same container (box). A heavy barrel like is common on BP guns will break the receiver/stock/anything it's attached to when it is tossed around in a warehouse and the truck.

I'm thinking I might just stick to local sellers. It's heavy, the barrel is tough to remove, and it's not really valuable enough considering how heavy it is. Good to get a definitive answer - thanks to all who chipped in. I'm not much of a blackpowder guy so I never really bothered to look into it before.

FWIW Connecticut considers a BP ML a rifle (firearm). This is the only state that I am aware of. Beyond that I wouldn't hesitate to sell it out of state. Generally speaking most hunters (purists are another matter) here will be looking for an inline to hunt hunt with. You will likely get a better price for it if you sell it to someone in a state like Pennsylvania that has separate percussion and flintlock seasons.

Bob

Connecticut General Statutes, Sec. 53a-3. Definitions. Except where different meanings are expressly specified, the following terms have the following meanings when used in this title:

(19) "Firearm" means any sawed-off shotgun, machine gun, rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or other weapon, whether loaded or unloaded from which a shot may be discharged;

http://law.justia.com/codes/connecticut/2005/title53a/sec53a-3.html

Last edited:
FWIW Connecticut considers a BP ML a rifle (firearm). This is the only state that I am aware of. Beyond that I wouldn't hesitate to sell it out of state. Generally speaking most hunters (purists are another matter) here will be looking for an inline to hunt hunt with. You will likely get a better price for it if you sell it to someone in a state like Pennsylvania that has separate percussion and flintlock seasons.

Bob

Connecticut General Statutes, Sec. 53a-3. Definitions. Except where different meanings are expressly specified, the following terms have the following meanings when used in this title:

(19) "Firearm" means any sawed-off shotgun, machine gun, rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or other weapon, whether loaded or unloaded from which a shot may be discharged;

http://law.justia.com/codes/connecticut/2005/title53a/sec53a-3.html

While Connecticut does consider a black powder firearm to be a firearm, Connecticut also provides an exemption from transfer procedures which allows transfer without paperwork, background checks, or permits/certificates. See CGS 29-37a.

Don't forget New Jersey. Or rather, to stay away.
We are all felons there. Thanks to "prosecutorial discretion" this guy http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/26/nj-prosecutor-drops-gun-charge-against-retired-teacher-over-centuries-old.html gets to enjoy his retirement after he pays his lawyer.
Why does that suddenly sound familiar? Oh yea,Maura.

Back
Top Bottom