Black Power Revolver

I assume this has to have been discussed, but I found limited info in my searching. What I did find implies that you can own a black powder revolver in MA without an FID/LTC, but you need at least an FID for the powder itself. I have an LTC so I'm not concerned about the powder, etc.

My questions are: Are black powder revolvers exempt from the AG list? Can they be mail ordered (or does ATF state line stuff start kicking in with mail order?) If no mail order, does anyone know of a place in MA that sells them?

Long story short, I live in MA, have an LTC-A, and want a black powder revolver (reproduction, not C&R stuff).

Thanks!

ETA: With some more searching found more info that seems to imply they just are completely unregulated (even in MA). I guess I just find this hard to believe...

Last edited:
BP, or "primitive" guns occupy a gray area.

You can own a long arm without an FID ( for kids in the Youth Pheasant HUnt, they have BP shotguns for kids who have not yet got the FID), but need a permit for purchase of powder, caps, and likely, bullets.

You need an LTC to carry a BP handgun, IIRC - definitely for Cap and Ball...not sure if's needed for flintlock, though I'd not push it.

Good luck on getting one shipped here. Try the Marlborough Gun Show this month.

You'll need a MA-LTC to carry a B/P revolver and either the the LTC or FID to purchase powder and caps.

From the GOAL website, http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/primitivefirearms.html

What kind of license is needed to possess a primitive arm in Massachusetts? According to the exemption listed in Chapter 140, section 129C(p), residents and non-residents do not need a License to Carry a Firearm or a Firearms Identification Card to possess or carry a primitive rifle or shotgun. However, the state courts have decided that a License to Carry a Firearm is necessary to possess a black powder handgun outside the home.

(p) Carrying or possession by residents or nonresidents of so-called black powder rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor as described in such paragraphs (A) and (B) of the third paragraph of section 121, and the carrying or possession of conventional rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor by nonresidents who meet the requirements for such carrying or possession in the state in which they reside.

Even though a person does not need any license to purchase or possess a primitive arm, one must show proof of majority (over 18) for purchase or possession. There are no reporting requirements for antique firearms either at the federal level (Form 4473) or at the state level (F/A-10). Because of conflicts in state law, however, a Massachusetts dealer will ask for a license or card in order for you to purchase ammunition for the primitive arm

We have a Traditions .44 caliber with a 10 1/2" barrel here.

The title of the thread is a bit misleading. [smile]

Doh! I had to reread it like 12 times. Ya, fat fingered that one.

My main question I guess wasn't so much carrying it, as opposed to how (and if) retail of them in MA is regulated by the AG's "list".

Last edited:
I recently bought a Ruger Old Army at IDC guns in Clinton, MA. they wanted to see my LTC. Bought supplies for the revolver at Callaghan's in Marlboro, they also wanted to see the LTC. I'm sure I wouldn't bring it anywhere without the LTC on my person. It's a big honking' piece of iron, I wouldn't want to be debating the fine points of BP gun possession with a policeman by the side of the road.

That's because you need an LTC to even possess a BP pistol.

Not really. You need the LTC to "carry" it (this is case law). No permit to possess, assuming [STRIKE=undefined]ancient[/STRIKE] primitive ignition system. FID/LTC to buy powder, ball for it.

As I've heard Glidden state, possession doesn't require a permit, "carrying" does per the Bibby case.

p. 37 Glidden's 17th edition:

6. Antique "Firearm" (i.e. Black Powder Handguns):​
[FONT=LKAOMG+Arial,Arial][FONT=LKAOMG+Arial,Arial]While Firearms, Rifles and Shotguns manufactured before 1899 are exempted from licensing for possession in the home or business in accordance with this section, and so-called Black Powder rifles and shotguns are exempted from licensing in section 129C, there appears to be no such exemption for a pre-1899 "firearm" with regards to unlawful carrying (chapter 269 §10(a)). Commonwealth v. Bibby (2002) is an appellate court decision that holds that a license is not required for a pre-1899 firearm possessed in a home of place of business, but that a person could be charged with carrying that firearm, unlicensed, away from his home or business.
[/FONT][/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom