"black powder"

I'm ready to get my muzzle loader out of the safe, but I want a powder that fouls a lot less than black powder or Pyrodex, and isn't as corrosive. What are others using? It's a traditional cap lock so ignition problems shouldn't be an issue, but not a shotgun primer lock.

Can't help there. For hunting, reliable ignition is mandatory. I have a .56 smoothbore and have drilled out the nipple a bit and use a reduced charge of Pyrodex P (pistol powder). Nothing worse than the stupid thing not going off in the heat of battle. Jack.

Have you tried Triple 7 or Clear Shot by Goex their a bit pricey but they may be what your looking for. I've tried 777 in cartridge rifles{45/70) and had good results. It does have more "energy" than BP Hodgdon recommends reducing the the BP charge 15% with 777. Not sure if Clear Shot is being made anymore.

I have a .45 mountain rifle that I've installed reciever sights on. I may try 777. I'm tired of the mess with real black powder. Thanks Highlander. And you're right Jack. Reliability is paramount.

i just take the barrel off the stock and run water through it then patch it till it comes out grey. regular baclk powder its not the big of a mess IMO. use magnum #11 caps,it goes off every time for me.

Another vote for Tripple7 here. It's great stuff, ignites reliably, and is MUCH cleaner thank regular BP.

I shot with black powder for years (does anyone remember the First Congress of New England Muzzle Loaders?) And yes, hot soapy water works fine, but I still want something better.

Back
Top Bottom