• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

black powder substitue

I'll be getting back into muzzle loading, but I don't feel like dealing with the hassles of buying and storing black powder.

What do you muzzle loaders shoot? I've been told that Pyrodex residue is almost as corrosive as black powder residue, but I've never used anything but the real stuff in the past. I've heard some good things about Hogden Tripple Se7en.

I'm no expert (I have one muzzle loader) but I've been using Triple Se7en and so far it's great. I can't attest to its corrosive properties because I have a stainless gun and I clean it right away, but it does clean up very easily.

i've tried both triple se7en and pryodex in my Omega cant say i noticed any performance difference between the two but in my limited black powder knowledge i found triple se7en to clean up easier.i've been told that either one is corrosive as regular blackpowder but with the others you have a little more time to clean the gun up.this was info passed on to me by another person so i cant contest to how true that statement is.i alway clean my gun right after shooting it anyhow.better safe than sorry.

I and a co-worker use the Pinnacle (FFF or FF depending on firearm used) Seems the most consistant and cleanest for me anyways.

Thank you all. As someone who never used anything but real black powder (never a substutute) and always used hot soapy water for clean-up, followed up with a light oil coating when dry. I was interested in finding out what other shooters were using.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom