• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Black Powder Question

I was thinking of getting my first black powder rifle. Saw a nice flintlick at a shop. The guy was telling me I can get one from Cabellas. Any recommendations? Don't want to spend alot on one. Can you get flintlocks from the Cabellas sight if in MA?

Several guys were shooting BP at my club this morning.
Modern BP looks intriguing, with break-breech or even bolt action at the back, and conventional (for BP) projectile and powder options.
The bolt gun specifically caught my eye, as the bolt appeared to be only for the cap and loading happened from the muzzle end (I believe.)

If you belong to a Club, talk to the smokepole folks, and you will get plenty of info.

At mine, we have everything from modern in-line guns to handmade flintlocks that I saw the builder use to hit steel turkeys at 100 yards, offhand. Several times in a row.

It all depends on what you want

you can get good deals on used good old muzzleloader guns at gunshops - lotsa guys are trading them in for modern inlines.
can't go wrong with T/C Hawkens!

Although perfectly legal, I seriously doubt that Cabela's would ship to MA. You could buy it if you show up at a Cabela's store in person however.

unless the policy changed they wont even ship to a store if your paying with MA billing address CC. I Tried buying ammo for pick up in ME and it got bounced?

I just bought some ammo from Cabelas online on Tuesday (free shipping until Wednesday) and had it shipped to my moms house in Manchester. I put my moms address for the billing as well and had no issues. It already shipped and will be there on Wednesday.

What do you want to do with it?
Hunt ? Punch paper?
Flint locks and caplocks are fun range guns.
I used to make my own round balls for my Hawken. It was a fun hobby.
If hunting I would recommend a modern in_line.
I hunted with the Hawken for 25 years, but my old eyes are liking the fiber optic sights on my new T/C Omega better.
But the rifle sabots for those are about a buck a pop. Pricey for a day at the range compaired to round ball.

Back
Top Bottom