• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Black powder in MA

Hello all,

All the shops I used to get real blackpowder from either closed or stopped carrying it. I know of one online operation that will ship me one pound cans in lots of 5, 10, 25 or 50. But the hazmat and shipping costs are only worth it if I buy 25 or 50 pounds. I don’t really have a place to store that much Holy Black. Any shops in SE MA area that carry real blackpowder?

Evan

I was digging around in my brain but couldn’t think of anyone that still carries it.
Though I would call Outback. The owner was in to Schuetzen IIRC and he might have some for sale or have a source.

Assuming you mean Outback in Plympton? If so, I had the same problem as the OP and tried there. No luck- all they have is synthetic:(

Hello all,

All the shops I used to get real blackpowder from either closed or stopped carrying it. I know of one online operation that will ship me one pound cans in lots of 5, 10, 25 or 50. But the hazmat and shipping costs are only worth it if I buy 25 or 50 pounds. I don’t really have a place to store that much Holy Black. Any shops in SE MA area that carry real blackpowder?

Evan

A lot of ranges that have a black powder group will often due bulk powder orders for that reason so it would be worthwhile checking in with them.

I don’t do much with the side locks these days as I went to an inline for sporting purposes these days. I used to get it at Nicks Sporting Goods in Palmer but it’s been a dogs age since I have been in there and it is probably too far to go for you.

Bob

Hunter's Rendezvous in Pepperell?
Call those guys, they carry.

Other than that or going to Maine, you might be better of doing a group buy.

You could also wait for the summer and check out the events that Maine Powder House will be attending. They usually attend black powder shoots and BPCR. They might be at the territorials.

If you order 5lbs online, the Hazmat is not that bad when you consider the cost (monetary and time) of driving far away to grab just 1 or 2lbs.

A lot of ranges that have a black powder group will often due bulk powder orders for that reason so it would be worthwhile checking in with them.

I don’t do much with the side locks these days as I went to an inline for sporting purposes these days. I used to get it at Nicks Sporting Goods in Palmer but it’s been a dogs age since I have been in there and it is probably too far to go for you.

Bob
Nicks doesnt really carry that stuff anymore from what I've seen, ever since the store was sold, not the same anymore and then the new owner did a nice anti second amendment hit piece for one of the local news stations, ever since then I don't know anyone that goes there anymore unless it's the only choice.

Nicks doesnt really carry that stuff anymore from what I've seen, ever since the store was sold, not the same anymore and then the new owner did a nice anti second amendment hit piece for one of the local news stations, ever since then I don't know anyone that goes there anymore unless it's the only choice.

It used to be kept out back in a fire safe. You used to have to ask for it.

It is too bad that it has been sold and the new owner is anti-E are plenty of other places to spend my money.

Bob

Call those guys, they carry.

Other than that or going to Maine, you might be better of doing a group buy.

You could also wait for the summer and check out the events that Maine Powder House will be attending. They usually attend black powder shoots and BPCR. They might be at the territorials.

If you order 5lbs online, the Hazmat is not that bad when you consider the cost (monetary and time) of driving far away to grab just 1 or 2lbs.
Good point. I haven’t been to a blackpowder shoot in years. And I miss walking around the woods and dressing up like a pilgrim. I cut my teeth on flintlocks and blackpowder. I tried Pyrodex in my Remington 1858, very pleased with the results.

Hello all,

Evan
They don’t ship to MA but thought I’d share it anyway. Got any free state friends?

Jeez, wish I had known I just placed a bulk order from MPH just last month. Me and my smokepole buddies typically do a 25# order at least once a year. KTP sells Goex, but it has gotten outrageous in price (bought 2# of Goex 3F about 5 months ago and it was $79 ! I'm done with KTP . A few times the wife and I have visited Freeport / LL Bean and i've bought powder from Pauline @ MPH FTF . The best savings are a 25# order shipping to me in NH , no hazmat , no tax. If any of you want in on a future bulk purchase send me a PM and next order I will reach out to you .

Hunters Rendezvous in Pepperell DOES have it. I just bought two 1Lb cans of 2F. $39.95 can. Call ahead. Yes you have to take a drive, that is just the way it is today. If you want it you have to go for it. Bullseye Shooter supply in RI has been out of all Black Powder for a while. He told me does not know when he can get more.

Hunters Rendezvous in Pepperell DOES have it. I just bought two 1Lb cans of 2F. $39.95 can. Call ahead. Yes you have to take a drive, that is just the way it is today. If you want it you have to go for it. Bullseye Shooter supply in RI has been out of all Black Powder for a while. He told me does not know when he can get more.
I agree. In the current situation to get shooting supplies you have to drive sometimes. It is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom