• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Black powder bullet questions

mac1911

NES Member
Omega Z5, I have been useing the 280 grain sabbots that I got when I purchased this gun. They work great and I get a consistant group @ 100 yards Being a caster of boolits I want to cast up some of my own.
This raised more questions than answers. For now it will be for paper as I will stick with my current set up if I can get out for primitive
I would like to start somewhere with the casting
I was thinking the LEE REAL bullets, do they require a patch or any special lube process ?
maybe a minie ball style ?
or some heavy 45cal in the sabots like I have now.

Any input ?

I shoot a.50 percussion rifle and shoot mostly PRBs and I have shot some of TC's Maxiballs. I am not an encyclopedia but I will share what I know:

A bullet lube is required.

A bore button in between the powder and bullet will often improve accuracy.

Many styles of bullets are available and lots of good info can be found here:

http://www.prbullet.com/index.htm

I would probably try everything I could get my hands on and see what shot well and then I would buy the mold that I wanted. The rate of rifling in your bore will help you determine what type of bullets should shoot best IE: long or short.

Bob

i think the 1 in 28 twist is a bit fast for round ball, no.

Yes it is. I have seen it done, and done accurately, but it takes some work. I am shooting a 1:48 twist, a compromise twist, which shoots both PRB's and Maxiballs very well. In general longer bullets work better with faster twist rates.

I was not recommending that he shoots PRB's in his BP rifle.

Bob

I have tried some of my lead cast bullets in sabots and I find that sizing the lead to the sabot makes a huge difference in accuracy. .457 vs .452 both load with the same amount of effort but the 452 is a 2" group at 50 yds and the 457 looks like a shotgun pattern. This is in a traditions inline break action.
Dave

Omega Z5, I have been useing the 280 grain sabbots that I got when I purchased this gun. They work great and I get a consistant group @ 100 yards Being a caster of boolits I want to cast up some of my own.
This raised more questions than answers. For now it will be for paper as I will stick with my current set up if I can get out for primitive
I would like to start somewhere with the casting
I was thinking the LEE REAL bullets, do they require a patch or any special lube process ?
maybe a minie ball style ?
or some heavy 45cal in the sabots like I have now.

Any input ?

i shoot round balls and minie balls. All i do is lube them with that TC Bore Butter stuff.

no patch required for minie balls, because they expand.

I use real muskets, not in-line, so i dont know if in-line is a little different.

I have found out, DO not use lube with sabbots,use only conicle or with traditional muzzleloader not inline.. after i used TCbore butter it screwed up the gun and would not shoot consistant.

I have found out, DO not use lube with sabbots,use only conicle or with traditional muzzleloader not inline.. after i used TCbore butter it screwed up the gun and would not shoot consistant.

is there a reason?

IM not sure but i picked up a lot of knowledge from a forum, My gun shot like shit after i started using TC cleaning producs. I also have an omega. After a lot if trail and error I joined a muzzloader forum, Treat the ML as if it were a regular SS barrel (minus the water). Soapy water to clean after a range day and a thin coat of oil to store, and use a 50/50mix of 90% rubbing alcohol and car windsheld fluid to clean in between shots. IF you are using sabbots and have the Butter in your bore, Boil some water and clean that butter out. clean it like you would your rifle. After i did that my groups are consistant under 2in.

Why car winshield washer fluid ? does it contain amonia ? Im a little weary of wiper fluid as some of it contains salts for de-iceing?
Good info, thanks guys.

I purchase window cleaner with amonia for my corrosive centerfire ammo, should work on BP yes/no.
I have always used very hot soapy water on my BP even though I dont shoot much. Last BP rifle was a cheap kit smoothbore.

Why car winshield washer fluid ? does it contain amonia ? Im a little weary of wiper fluid as some of it contains salts for de-iceing?
Good info, thanks guys.

I purchase window cleaner with amonia for my corrosive centerfire ammo, should work on BP yes/no.
I have always used very hot soapy water on my BP even though I dont shoot much. Last BP rifle was a cheap kit smoothbore.

Yes regular Windex will work fine, though I don't bother with it. I just use a damp (not wet) spit patch between shots and I use warm soapy water not hot to clean after a range session. Hot water can sometimes cause a flash rust to form in the barrel. I then oil the barrel and store muzzle down so that any excess oil doesn't collect in the flash channel.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom